Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa

Started by Rayfer, March 09, 2015, 10:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

My first go at a video AAR, so be gentle... is the first 4 turns of Piercing Fortress Europa, The Sicily scenario.

Others to follow hopefully, and the more practice I get the better it might sound.  :-[

panzerde

Nice video AAR spelk! You showed me a lot about the game I didn't know.

The one chit is blue because it's the Herman Goering Division, a powerful Luftwaffe armor division. Those guys are dangerous - ask Cyrano!  ;D
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Rayfer

GJK

Quote...chits....

(They're called counters).  :coolsmiley:

Some time ago, I had started to redo the maps graphics for this one in the style of a blatant rip-off of the original "Anzio" game by AH but Frank Hunter didn't care for it.  I still may finish it yet; it's close:

http://www.garykrockover.com/uploads/ItalyMap_Anzio_Style_Large.png

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Staggerwing

When you do one of these maps over do you hand-trace every coastline from scratch or do you scan the original and somehow 'lift' the existing coastline?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GJK

I drew the original from a hand drawing that Frank Hunter did and that's what was included in the game (I did the counters as well).  Since I have my original in PSD (Photoshop) format, with layers, I could rather easily make the map in any style that I wanted and would certainly be open to any suggestions.

If it's a recreation of a map that was drawn by somebody else, then I'll scan the original map (boardgame) and retrace the coastline and work it from there.  See my recent recreation of the map for "Texas Glory" in the thread HERE

Most PC game maps are "tiles" and can be both easier and more difficult to change.  Easier in that you change the single master tile for each terrain type and you've changed the whole map.  Harder in that tiled maps look very repetitive (obviously) and can look just plain ugly if not carefully done.  I usually don't care for modding such maps (though I did do a terrain mod for TOAW back in the day, among a few other PC games). 

I like PFE (and Frank Hunters PC games) because he uses a full map image and not tiled images for his maps.  I did a mod for his Guns of August game that he really liked and subsequently included in a patch.  He then contacted me about doing the map from start to finish for PFE.  He has some more projects in the works that he's asked me to look in to and I'd be happy to help him out again.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rayfer

I passed a couple weeks ago on the Matrix sale for PFE @ $19.99....wish I had got it based on what I saw in spelk's video. Perhaps it goes on sale again during the holidays.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

spelk

spelk

Finally got round to finishing this AAR off. Its about 40+ mins again!

gameleaper

Quote from: spelk on March 28, 2015, 06:17:41 AM
Finally got round to finishing this AAR off. Its about 40+ mins again!

I bought this game because I saw your AAR(nice german surrender at the end haha) , the game what Ive done so far is real good, the supply model is unbelievably good, I have some games at this sort of level scale, but this one feels like a thrill, its more of an interactive experience with simul moves. thx

spelk

Quote from: gameleaper on April 05, 2015, 03:11:33 AM
I bought this game because I saw your AAR(nice german surrender at the end haha) , the game what Ive done so far is real good, the supply model is unbelievably good, I have some games at this sort of level scale, but this one feels like a thrill, its more of an interactive experience with simul moves. thx

Cool, glad you like the game. It remained dormant on my hard drive for quite some time after release. I played a quick game of it when I downloaded the beta, back in February 2014, but shelved it for other shinier baubles to play with. Then this thread come up, and I got all excited about it again.

It does have a lot going on under the hood, especially with the supply mechanic. Apart from the two step shuffle, you have to do with left click, right click to get to a counter in the stack, I think its an easy to play wargame with some depth to it.

gameleaper

Quote from: spelk on April 05, 2015, 05:17:21 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on April 05, 2015, 03:11:33 AM

Cool, glad you like the game. It remained dormant on my hard drive for quite some time after release. I played a quick game of it when I downloaded the beta, back in February 2014, but shelved it for other shinier baubles to play with. Then this thread come up, and I got all excited about it again.

It does have a lot going on under the hood, especially with the supply mechanic. Apart from the two step shuffle, you have to do with left click, right click to get to a counter in the stack, I think its an easy to play wargame with some depth to it.

I looked for more videos on it on youtube, and your the only one to do any,I missed the matrix sale, but I used my matrix easter token thanks again.

Tamas

Hi Guys,

Rasputitsa from the Matrix Forums asked me to post this here as he has not been able to register to Grogheads for some reason:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3820441

It's a very interesting map mod for PFE, changing the game's look significantly.

Greybriar

Quote from: Rayfer on March 09, 2015, 10:54:30 AM
It's 50% off.....$19.99 digital download. Anyone playing or have played this? Thumbs up or down?

It looks like the sale is over. I'm seeing $39.99 for the digital download.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.