Matrix Weekly Sale: Piercing Fortress Europa

Started by Rayfer, March 09, 2015, 10:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Rayfer

It's 50% off.....$19.99 digital download. Anyone playing or have played this? Thumbs up or down?

FlickJax


Anguille

It's a niche game. I am also interested but I am not sure if many people play it. I would have bought it if I didn't have so many games.

ArizonaTank

I am suffering from too many games fatigue as well....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Rayfer

Quote from: FlickJax on March 10, 2015, 04:24:29 AM
can't be any good no replies

LOL....exactly the conclusion I came to. I was tempted but I think I'll pass.

Anguille

Quote from: Rayfer on March 10, 2015, 07:16:25 AM
Quote from: FlickJax on March 10, 2015, 04:24:29 AM
can't be any good no replies

LOL....exactly the conclusion I came to. I was tempted but I think I'll pass.
The couple of reviews I have seen were actually good...

spelk

I bought it, and did a quick look article, but haven't played it since - so my memory of the game is very fuzzy and vague now

http://sugarfreegamer.com/piercing-fortress-europa-quick-look/

magnus

 It is a very good game and a great simulation of the Italian front in WWII.

The game stresses logistics, so you will have to manage your resources carefully.

Do not expect large encirclements etc..

Tinkershuffle

I'd probably grab it if the graphics weren't so anti-immersive, unfortunately it seems there are no mods available either.

GJK

Everything can be very easily modded with this one.  The map is a single graphic (and not the usual "tiled" graphics that most computer wargames use) and the units are all individual graphics as well.  I like the "retro" look myself but I may be a bit biased here.  ;)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

panzerde

I've heard good things about it and may make this my first Matrix purchase in several months. I like the theater and the game's focus on logistics and planning.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

spelk

I had a look at this game tonight, and it seems as if I didn't buy it, but I played the beta... so I've bought it now to give it a bit more of a chance. I could have sworn I'd bought it.

It's VERY boardgame, and I think if you're that way inclined this is probably worth the effort for you. If you're used to quite polished computerwargames, then you might want to wait on it. It truly is for board wargamers.

Tinkershuffle

But without the actual board, chits and social aspect it only gets halfway there. That's the reason I don't play Vassal modules although I really enjoy board wargaming otherwise.

GJK

It's always better with another person rather than a computer.  ;)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Tamas

Quote from: Tinkershuffle on March 12, 2015, 12:31:25 AM
But without the actual board, chits and social aspect it only gets halfway there. That's the reason I don't play Vassal modules although I really enjoy board wargaming otherwise.

While the graphics of the game are boardgame-y, there is a WEGO turn structure and an AI that will offer you a challenge, so I wouldn't say its 100% like a boardgame ;)