Call of Combat (currently on kickstarter)

Started by bayonetbrant, February 27, 2015, 03:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

This came in too late for GARPA this week, but might be interesting to some of you

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kavagamestudio/call-of-combat

QuoteEach player orders a squad of 4 soldiers through typical battlefields of World War 2. Players team up and engage combat in large organized battles. The most seasoned combatant of each team has the role of coordinating the team's actions through the commanders interface, simultaneously serving as a tactical overview of the battle. It is through the leader's strategic guidance and combined effort that victory is achieved!

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Micha

Hello, ww2 gamme 100001, we have been wating for so long ;)

Nefaro

Isn't one of the forum members on the dev team?  I can't remember which but I do recall discussing it before.

Nefaro

Found out where I'd spoken to him.  He's an old Matrix Forumite, goes by "KAding".  Nice guy.

Early gameplay vid he posted, not sure if it's on the KS page:

I had randomly brought up the free version on another forum, after chancing upon it a couple years ago, to only find out that the forum admin/host was the one working on it in his spare time.   :))

Bardolph

Quote from: Micha on February 27, 2015, 03:45:58 PM
Hello, ww2 gamme 100001, we have been wating for so long ;)

Its origins predate the post-Saving Private Ryan deluge of WWII games like Call of Duty. Call of Combat is a 3d remake of the 2AM Games "Chain of Command" from 1997-99 and itself dates back to 2002. Never tried the 3d version but I played a hell of a lot of Chain of Command before it shut down. Even managed to hook several of my otherwise non-gaming friends on it. I rank it up there with SubSpace Continuum and Battle of Wesnoth for free games that were worth a damn. Be interested to see how this new version holds up.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bardolph on February 27, 2015, 05:08:16 PM
I rank it up there with SubSpace Continuum and Battle of Wesnoth for free games that were worth a damn.

anything that compares favorable to Wesnith is probably worth checking out.  That's a fantastic game series
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

jomni

Call of Duty + Close combat?

Looks like fast paced with a lot of micromanagement.

Bardolph

It's been ages since I played the original but I don't remember it feeling terribly overwhelming like I find most of the "realtime" games. You're only controlling 4 guys and things were fairly slow paced IIRC. Never played the Call of Combat version though.

Edit:  Watching those vids Brant posted it looks like it is moving a little faster than the old games. Here is a clip from an older version of Call of Combat, the only Chain of Command vid I could find the guy had messed with the speeds to "make it look cool"  ::)

Skip to around 2:30 or so.

Have to admit it looks pretty dated after all these years but it was a lot of fun back then.