War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Asid

Hitler Reacts To The GTX 970 Being 3.5GB + .5GB

http://youtu.be/tNGi06cq_pQ

Language warning!

Edit: i removed the embedded video and just provided the link because of the language displayed on the YouTube video still frame
War in Pieces

Nefaro

ROFL

"What company does Nvidia think it is?  Fucking Apple?!" 

:2funny:

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Asid on January 30, 2015, 11:48:20 AM

Language warning!

Edit: i removed the embedded video and just provided the link because of the language displayed on the YouTube video still frame
You're so sweet  :P

But decent call.  O0
Alba gu' brath

magnus

Asid

War in Pieces

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Asid

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2015, 07:10:46 PM
What is the story with this card?

"Three weeks ago here on Guru3D.com users in our forums started to report oddities with their GeForce GTX 970 graphics card, the card ran out of memory at 3.5 GB, not utilizing anything higher or reports of stutters in high graphics memory usage."

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-geforce-gtx-970-vram-stress-test.html

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/does-the-geforce-gtx-970-have-a-memory-allocation-bug.html

War in Pieces

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2015, 07:10:46 PM
What is the story with this card?

Sounds like they may have intentionally slowed down the card's peak performance because it was too close to their higher priced model.  It's not the first time they've done so, either.   

I've read past reports of them using their higher priced chipsets but locking them down to slower speeds and charging less.  That would imply that they're price gouging on those models since they're charging radically different prices for the same hardware.  I suppose it could be called price gouging or fixing. 

This latest development is just another incident in a string AFAIK.  I recall some lawsuits being filed against Nvidia (and maybe ATI) for this kind of stuff in the past.

Zulu1966

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 03:41:23 PM

Language warning!

But decent call.  O0

Which given the previous post by Nefaro seems like somewhat of an overreaction LOL :2funny:

With regard to the video though - surely that cant be a genuine Nvidia guy ? That's got to be a company killer hasn't it - or would lack of choice mean that's not the case ?
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Yskonyn

Quote from: Zulu1966 on January 31, 2015, 04:25:10 AM
With regard to the video though - surely that cant be a genuine Nvidia guy ? That's got to be a company killer hasn't it - or would lack of choice mean that's not the case ?

Are you serious? :D

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Zulu1966

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 31, 2015, 05:21:42 AM

Are you serious? :D

Sorry badly typed ... been up all night trying to get my friggin CMBS download to work.

For clarification

With regard to the video though - surely that cant be a genuine Nvidia guy ?  (Sarcasm - in that given what they appear to have done it wouldn't surprise me if they were a bunch of toothless drug dealers on the side - which is what he reminded me of. )

This bit genuine ...

That's got to be a company killer hasn't it - or would lack of choice mean that's not the case ? - don't follow tech much - only when looking to buy something - so wasn't aware this kind of practice was prevelant with them. If I had bought one ... that would seriously piss me off to the point I wouldn't buy from them again - but I guess there are only two serious players in the market so essentially as someone else said they are an almost monopoly and can do what they like and people just have to suck it up ?

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Yskonyn

Ahh right, Zulu! You got me sacred there for a minute! :D

I dont think its limited to them. Intel has been known to sell the same chips with a locked lower speed too.

Their accepted defense had always been that while testing chips they found that stable frequencies varied from batch to batch. And so they made a lower speed model for less cash and a higher speed model of the same hardware for more cash.

As long as you are being told you are buying a slower chip its ok.

But if Nvidia markets the 970 as a 4GB card but only 3.5 can be used that's not correct. The speed 'squeeze' of the GPU however is nothing new.

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Asid

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 30, 2015, 03:41:23 PM

Language warning!

But decent call.  O0

Everyone knows that Hitler had a 3dfx Voodoo1 not a 970 GTX........
War in Pieces