Voice Attack Question

Started by JudgeDredd, January 29, 2015, 05:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Anyone using Voice Attack?

I downloaded the demo (21 day demo) and I tried it with the command GEAR and assigned the key Z to it. I then went into Elite Dangerous to try it out and it worked great.

However, what I'd really like to do is assign a joystick key to the command GEAR in VA...but although I have Joystick 1 enabled and it recognised it as my X52, there is no option in the VA profile setup where you setup the command to assign a joystick button - only keys, mouse and other (which a gives specific list of commands)

anyone using it and know how to get the joystick button mapped to the command.

If I can't do it, I would have to go into Elite Dangerous and painstakingly change all my joystick commands to key commands - and I'd really not want to do that if possible.

Thanks.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Found this about joysticks....seems to imply some level of Joystick configuration in that specific version...not sure if exactly what you want.

VoiceAttack Change Log

v1.5.7

-    Improvements

-  First pass at joystick integration in VoiceAttack.
        You can now assign the buttons on up to two devices to
        control features such as command execution and start/
        stop listening.  Each device can have up 128 buttons, plus
        up to four POV (hat) controllers.  VoiceAttack will treat
        each pov as a set of switches that can have 1, 2, 4 or 8
        positions (they will display as POV 1-8, and act just like
        pressing buttons).  For the 2 direction switches, you
        can choose either up/down or left/right.  There is also
        two-button modifier support which can be cross-stick (eg,
        press button 1 on joystick 1 plus button 5 on joystick 2
        will execute a macro).
        You will find this feature in pretty much every place that
        you'll find keyboard shortcuts (including profile override). 
        To turn on joystick support, just go into the options screen
        and click on the, 'joystick options' button.  Full documentation
        is included down in the .pdf if it's not obvious as to
        what is going on.  You'll notice in the command screens you
        have yet another checkbox labeled, 'when i press joystick
        button'.  This is where you can assign your buttons to your
        commands.  There are two new, 'other' actions:  enable/disable
        joysticks.

I didn't implement a, 'stop all commands' as global
        feature, since there is already a command action that
        does the same thing.  If this comes up as a need later,
        we can work it out then :)

JudgeDredd

Thanks

I saw that - I tried that - but it done nothing in game. The only way I can use voice in game is by assigning a key to the command and changing the assignment in game from joystick button to key

But thanks for finding that anyway. I'll read the manual...it just seemed so easy to assign a key, I didn't get why it wasn't easy to assign a joystick button.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Not sure, I have only used it to setup keystrokes myself.  Have to say, I really loved using VA, was much easier for me to say commands versus remember all the different keystrokes and such.  Although, the family did look at me kind of funny as I am talking to the game:)

JudgeDredd

*Loved*

past tense...do you not use it anymore?

Assigning keys to commands was easy. Using it in game was pretty cool.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 29, 2015, 06:29:16 PM
*Loved*

past tense...do you not use it anymore?

Assigning keys to commands was easy. Using it in game was pretty cool.

Only reason I am not using right now is that I am not readily playing Elite at this time or any other game to take advantage.  I will absolutely use it again when I start playing Elite again.  For its cheap price, you can't beat it in my mind.

JudgeDredd

Cool.

I am thinking about purchasing it tbh...also there's a Elite Dangerous Voice Pack you can buy for like a fiver which sounded quite cool.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 29, 2015, 06:37:07 PM
Cool.

I am thinking about purchasing it tbh...also there's a Elite Dangerous Voice Pack you can buy for like a fiver which sounded quite cool.

I didn't know that, I will have to take a look.  VoiceAttack will also be good for any other flight sim/FPS that uses a lot of keystrokes so I will certainly get my money's worth.

Grim.Reaper

JD,

I found this on their forum by the developer.....

VoiceAttack is only set up to accept joystick INPUT.  There is no option for joystick OUTPUT.  As much as I'd love to provide this functionality, this would require creating a device driver for VoiceAttack, as well as requiring the user to assign VoiceAttack as a joystick device in-game (probably not desirable for anybody).

Sorry if this is not clear in the documentation :(

JudgeDredd

Thanks - that figures why I couldn't do it. I could see that you can enter a command (voice), select a key or activate a joystick button and those options were all under the command bit.

So it's key only. That's cool - as long as I know. I didn't want to spend most of my 21 days free demo messing about with it for nothing

Thanks for finding that for me. I did do a Google search but I got bored going through non-relevant pages.  O0
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

lol - it was a bit like that last night with the word "down"

Thankfully, the GEAR command in Elite is a toggle...so there was no need to say "down"  :P
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 30, 2015, 02:51:33 AM

This was my experience this morning

Yellow was me trying to say SLOW
Green was me trying to say SLOW TOO HALF
Purple was me trying to say MINUS HALF

Total disaster. And that was a fraction of the half hour I spent to try and bind 5 commands to keys!!  >:D

I think a cheap(ish) headset and mic combined with the Scottish droll means this pig ain't gonna fly. Back to keyboard commands I think.

Funny thing is, I saw a video of a guy using voice control and doing a bloody good job of it. He was using one word commands either
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Actually you need to run the windows speech program and train the computer to recognize your vice.  I ran the process like 3 times and after that was pretty flawless.

JudgeDredd

I had done that, but only did it once and it wasn't great. I just assumed it couldn't do jockanese  :crazy2:

I'll give that a try again
Alba gu' brath