Brother against brother

Started by Grim.Reaper, January 27, 2015, 06:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Looks like nearing release and looking for some more beta testers .

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3791822

sandman2575

Wow -- I was under the impression that this was nearing Vaporware status. Glad to see I'm wrong!

Haven't really been able to return to Forge of Freedom since Ageod's Civil War II came out. This looks cool -- but is there no strategic layer?

bbmike

Insta-purchase for me. I applied to be a beta tester last time but never heard back.  ???
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: sandman2575 on January 27, 2015, 06:54:44 PM
Wow -- I was under the impression that this was nearing Vaporware status. Glad to see I'm wrong!

Haven't really been able to return to Forge of Freedom since Ageod's Civil War II came out. This looks cool -- but is there no strategic layer?

Nope, just battles.

sandman2575

:(   that dampens my enthusiasm considerably...

Skoop

The art in the screen shots just looks the same as FOF battles, with scourge of war out there, why get this ?

Loved FOF, still baffles me the devs left the strategy layer out this time around.

RooksBailey

Quote from: Skoop on January 28, 2015, 01:45:25 AM
The art in the screen shots just looks the same as FOF battles, with scourge of war out there, why get this ?

Loved FOF, still baffles me the devs left the strategy layer out this time around.

My sentiments, too.  I mean, the more ACW games the merrier, but I also find myself asking why get this when I have SoW.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

JudgeDredd

Quote from: sandman2575 on January 27, 2015, 07:19:02 PM
:(   that dampens my enthusiasm considerably...
Yeah - and mine.

All I ever EVER wanted was for them to fix the interface in FoF so it would look pretty on a modern screen and in a decent res. I would've paid for the game again for that to happen.

Unfortunately, a truly great game went and slipped away...never to be seen by my eyes again.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

One of the beta testers showing more screens and providing some feedback.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3630741

some ask why buy this if you already have sow.....I don't see this being much different when countless new wwii games come out...most have the same general idea, just implemented differentlly but people gobble them up.  I actually see this much more resembling a tiller/hps game with a little better graphics but probably less content.  They have said from the start the goal of this game was to solely focus on the tactical battles.  As to why, no idea.

It is a shame some developers don't stick with their core product and just improve it over time.  Fof was a good start and could have gotten better with time.  Although a different genera in sports, ootp is a perfect example where it is on its 16th version of just improving the core game concept and people keep coming back.  I know it is different for war games, but I like the concept.

I have to admit I am a civil war fan and at this point I don't have any real desire to pick this one up.   It will be interesting to see how much it will cost based on the content provided.  Time will tell.

magnus

I am hoping that this turns into the new Age of Rifles.

With a robust editor it could turn into one.

bbmike

I don't have Scourge of War but I do not like real-time games. This one is turn based. And I was one of the few who actually loved the tactical battles in FoF.  :P My hope is that this game is like that but a lot more detailed.
Scourge of War looks good but I don't really want to fight these types of battles where my point of view is behind a tree standing next to Private Cleetus.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

JudgeDredd

I always played the battles out too...unless they were very small.

The tactical battles in FoF were great and had some superb parameters and effects.

But I still wanted a beautiful FoF

I'm not saying I won't get this - just that I'm not overly enthused about not having a strat layer.
Alba gu' brath

bbmike

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 28, 2015, 06:40:10 AM

But I still wanted a beautiful FoF

I'm not saying I won't get this - just that I'm not overly enthused about not having a strat layer.

An updated, beautiful Fof would be awesome!  O0
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Tuna

Agreed, when I first started playing FoF, I was like "what the heck" with the tactical battles, I hated how you couldn't go out of turn with which piece you were giving orders to. I grew to really like them.

Zonso

Mixed thoughts on this after being on the 'back burner' so long and the developer's history of incomplete and unfinished games. I loved CoG and FoF, and was initially looking forward to this when first announced but now will wait to see the fallout from players on release. Am more than a little suspicious about its imminent release and am also disappointed there will be no editor included to create your own battles, though understand why.