Regarding the Humble Bundle card game pack...

Started by Toonces, January 21, 2015, 09:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I'm trying to decide if this is a good deal or not.  I looked everywhere on the Card Hunter website and I'll be doggoned if I can figure out how much add-on stuff costs.  From what I inferred in some of the forum threads it sounds like the basic set costs about $25 and add-on characters go for about $20 or the equivalent in pizza that can be earned in-game over time? 

The Magic 2015 got absolutely slaughtered on Steam.

SolForce seems like it might not be a bad deal, although I'm not sure I'd even play it.

Overall I'm looking at the $12 tier because I want Card Hunter and Talisman.  The rest is gravy.  I can't decide, though, if this is a good deal or if I should just bag it as Talisman is probably about $5 on a good Steam sale and Card Hunter is Free to Play. 

https://www.humblebundle.com/?cardgame_bundle

We're not talking a lot of money here...but still.   ???
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Toonces on January 21, 2015, 09:53:49 PMFrom what I inferred in some of the forum threads it sounds like the basic set costs about $25 and add-on characters go for about $20 or the equivalent in pizza that can be earned in-game over time? 

The Basic Edition is $25, but you don't really earn any pizza in the game.  You get some 'starter' pizza when you sign up, but you don't have any way to earn it as you play.  You also get a bunch of add'l adventures (the "treasure hunts") unlocked with the basic edition.  Beyond that, the add'l figures, costumes, etc, cost pizza/real money.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Man the whole pizza reference is flying over my head.

Magic always gets beat up on Steam, but the game is good fun just to sling the cards around against the AI. 

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on January 21, 2015, 10:35:57 PMMan the whole pizza reference is flying over my head.

the currency of CardHunter is slices of pizza instead of "cash"
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Huw the Poo

I've played Sol Forge; it's decent, if unremarkable.  Not sure I'd ever want to spend money on it but I did get a few hours out of it.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on January 21, 2015, 10:35:57 PM

Magic always gets beat up on Steam, but the game is good fun just to sling the cards around against the AI.

The digital version of MtG usually gets beat up because they refuse to allow the player the full scope of the game.  Notably open deck-building.  They pretty much just let you use pre-built decks and switch a few cards out.   

One in the style of the old original from the late 90s has also been high on everyone's want list, with it's open-ish single-player campaign, but they're not listening.  Maybe because that one also allowed fully customizable decks aside from all the extra campaign work.

FlickJax

Quote from: Nefaro on January 22, 2015, 02:55:52 AM
Quote from: Bison on January 21, 2015, 10:35:57 PM

The digital version of MtG usually gets beat up because they refuse to allow the player the full scope of the game.  Notably open deck-building.  They pretty much just let you use pre-built decks and switch a few cards out.   

One in the style of the old original from the late 90s has also been high on everyone's want list, with it's open-ish single-player campaign, but they're not listening.  Maybe because that one also allowed fully customizable decks aside from all the extra campaign work.

I really enjoyed the campaign one; the new versions are pants in comparison.

Toonces

Man a-freaking-live,
Can someone just say, "Yes this is a bomb-diggity deal" or "Flush that- this deal is the bomb diggity!"

i MEAN fARk aLiVE!   :smiley6600:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JasonPratt

Huh. I was under the impression that MtG2015 finally allowed true deck building...?  ???

The complaints are about frequent CTDs, too much regulation about deck building (how many of what kinds of cards are allowed), some (all?) important cards hidden behind a paywall regardless of how much you spend buying the game, cards actually from 2015 are not included, the game forces a long tutorial section in two acts before opening up the deck building.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 22, 2015, 11:35:58 AM
Huh. I was under the impression that MtG2015 finally allowed true deck building...?  ???

The complaints are about frequent CTDs, too much regulation about deck building (how many of what kinds of cards are allowed), some (all?) important cards hidden behind a paywall regardless of how much you spend buying the game, cards actually from 2015 are not included, the game forces a long tutorial section in two acts before opening up the deck building.

Dunno about the new one, didn't get it yet.

But I think you partially answered that question in the same post.  They're still regulating what types of cards you can put in your decks? 

Maybe they'll eventually unclench the butthole and ease up on the IP paranoia.  They're terrified that their customers who purchase the physical cards are gonna stop doing so if they open up all that customization.   ::)

Toonces

Whelp I went ahead and bought the $12 bundle. 

They simply couldn't make the process any easier.  I clicked on the buy link and it gave me the option to pay using my Amazon account!  I mean, how awesome is that?  And I have a Amazon gift card in my account so I didn't even have to get out my wallet or anything.  The whole process took about 20 seconds.

Well done, Humble Bundle!

JasonPratt

Quote from: Nefaro on January 22, 2015, 01:13:00 PM
Dunno about the new one, didn't get it yet.

But I think you partially answered that question in the same post.  They're still regulating what types of cards you can put in your decks? 

I think the real problem there is putting 'all the good cards' behind a paywall, regardless of how much someone spends to get the game. MtG has had regulated decks since shortly after the Black Lotus. ;) Heck, the Microprose Shandalar RPG featured regulated decks!

Granted, there ought to be an option for playing unregulated decks, and for different kinds of regulation standards. As, again, for the old Shandalar game.

QuoteMaybe they'll eventually unclench the butthole and ease up on the IP paranoia.  They're terrified that their customers who purchase the physical cards are gonna stop doing so if they open up all that customization.   ::)

I bought the very first MtG Online game (a couple of years after the Shandalar game was released, still under Microprose back then), and it had literally every card in or out of production up to that point. (I know I still have to have that disc somewhere, wonder if it still works...) What it didn't have was even the slightest amount of AI, it was purely a table and all-the-cards for multiplay online. People had to know the rules and enforce them themselves, just like in 'real life'.

I'd be curious how well that worked. Or whether it still works today. (I don't recall if it needed access to a WotC server, or whether TSR was even WotC by then!  :)) ) My impression was that players wanted at least an arbitrating AI, but even though that was, what, ten+ years ago, it would be a cheap way to get access to EEVVEERYYYYTHINNGGG up to that point.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!