Sentinels Of The Multiverse

Started by Nefaro, December 22, 2014, 10:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

The PC port of a favorite Co-op/Solitaire card games is being released today.  O0

http://store.steampowered.com/app/337150/

Insta-purchase for me. 

Despite having the physical version and it's expansions, this would save the extra time it takes to track all the modifiers and setup/teardown when I want a quickie.  ^-^

tgb

Looks interesting and right up my alley, depending on price.

Grim.Reaper

Nefaro

Getting ready to fire it up right now.  :)

Tpek

Loved the boardgame, and played the hell out of the Android App...
A definite buy for me.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on December 22, 2014, 12:41:01 PM
Getting ready to fire it up right now.  :)

Sweet... great game, just with cards there is some book keeping.... interested how this turns out!  No doubt, some DLC coming as well.

PE

Grim.Reaper

I have been looking for something a little different to play so will be interested in everyone's feedback....I have never player the card game, is that a must to enjoy/understand it on the PC?

tgb

Price seems a little steep considering I just bought Acension with all the DLC for $10.  But I may grab it anyway if word of mouth is good enough.

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 22, 2014, 01:21:35 PM
I have been looking for something a little different to play so will be interested in everyone's feedback....I have never player the card game, is that a must to enjoy/understand it on the PC?

It comes with an in-game manual and also a tutorial playthrough.  Those of us who are familiar with the tabletop game can skip the tutorial playthrough, but I skimmed through the manual just to make sure I understood the UI.

There is a lot of cards to keep track of but that's no different than the original.  Fortunately you don't have to jockey the life & modifier counters in this, which takes up some extra time when you're playing the actual card game. 

But the digital version has a shortcoming in this area;  it doesn't mark temporary damage type immunities on the cards.  So, for example, you must remember the last damage type you did to Omnitron when it has that Adaptive shield-type thing in play.  I played against it with four characters and by the time I came back around on next turn, I had often forgot and ended up wasting an attack of the same type.

However, this isn't a total loss.  You can actually use a rather extensive "Go Back" feature that gives you a few options on how far back you want to replay.  So if you mess up like this, you can just start your turn over from a few recent save points corresponding to the beginning of a character turn.  This should also come in pretty handy when you miss or forget a good synergistic play between a couple characters on the same round.  O0

I also wish that we could rt-click on the "mini-cards" to get the full text version to pop up, instead of having to use a double left click.  Just personal preference, but the right mouse button isn't in use anyway so it would make sense.

Despite some niggles about the UI, it definitely remains the same SotM card game that gushes theme, has unique character powers/styles, and forces you to make tough strategic decisions.  My favorite solitaire card game. 

Omnitron gave me a pretty hard beat down in my first 4-character game. 
:smitten:

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on December 22, 2014, 03:50:47 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 22, 2014, 01:21:35 PM

It comes with an in-game manual and also a tutorial playthrough.  Those of us who are familiar with the tabletop game can skip the tutorial playthrough, but I skimmed through the manual just to make sure I understood the UI.

There is a lot of cards to keep track of but that's no different than the original.  Fortunately you don't have to jockey the life & modifier counters in this, which takes up some extra time when you're playing the actual card game. 

But the digital version has a shortcoming in this area;  it doesn't mark temporary damage type immunities on the cards.  So, for example, you must remember the last damage type you did to Omnitron when it has that Adaptive shield-type thing in play.  I played against it with four characters and by the time I came back around on next turn, I had often forgot and ended up wasting an attack of the same type.

However, this isn't a total loss.  You can actually use a rather extensive "Go Back" feature that gives you a few options on how far back you want to replay.  So if you mess up like this, you can just start your turn over from a few recent save points corresponding to the beginning of a character turn.  This should also come in pretty handy when you miss or forget a good synergistic play between a couple characters on the same round.  O0

I also wish that we could rt-click on the "mini-cards" to get the full text version to pop up, instead of having to use a double left click.  Just personal preference, but the right mouse button isn't in use anyway so it would make sense.

Despite some niggles about the UI, it definitely remains the same SotM card game that gushes theme, has unique character powers/styles, and forces you to make tough strategic decisions.  My favorite solitaire card game. 

Omnitron gave me a pretty hard beat down in my first 4-character game. 
:smitten:

Looks like it gets a  :smitten: from Nef.... purchase button.....

PE

bbmike

Quote from: PanzersEast on December 22, 2014, 04:07:33 PM
Looks like it gets a  :smitten: from Nef.... purchase button.....
PE

Yeah, same here.  ;D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

After my crushing loss to Omnitron, I'm gonna try a 4-character game against Baron Blade.

Think I have enough variety between that team of characters to go the distance.  Maybe.  :knuppel2:

I've just been hitting randomize and making a character switch or two.  Not used to playing with four characters since my tabletop games were always with three due to previous table space restrictions.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on December 22, 2014, 04:45:29 PM
After my crushing loss to Omnitron, I'm gonna try a 4-character game against Baron Blade.

Think I have enough variety between that team of characters to go the distance.  Maybe.  :knuppel2:

I've just been hitting randomize and making a character switch or two.  Not used to playing with four characters since my tabletop games were always with three due to previous table space restrictions.

Same here, 3 at the max on tabletop for me.  Interesting to see 4 and a bit survivobility!

PE

Grim.Reaper

Thanks for all the impressions...not sure I completely grasp how this plays yet, but will keep watching it.  Since nothing real exciting in the holiday sales, might be a nice change of pace.

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 22, 2014, 05:46:10 PM
Thanks for all the impressions...not sure I completely grasp how this plays yet, but will keep watching it.  Since nothing real exciting in the holiday sales, might be a nice change of pace.

The basics are pretty simple.

The Villain goes first, playing his top card off his deck along with any extra stuff listed on his in-play cards.  The game mechanics & cards run him against you.

Next each of your heroes go in turn order.  They will be able to play one card from their hand and then activate the ability on one of their cards in play.  Simple turn order mechanics but each character's deck has many different cards and different styles derived from them.  This is where you'll be making lots of decisions on what to do.

At the end of the round, the Environment deck plays the top card of it's deck and does it's in-play stuff.  These are often detrimental but sometimes you can manipulate something in the game state in order to twist it to an advantage and use it against the bad guys.

And that's it.  I simplified the turn order, because each player/villain/environment also has a Beginning/End-of-Turn phase on each side of their draw & play actions but you get the point.  The cards read very much like CCGs, so expect to do a lot of reading about how each one changes the rules or adds an extra ability to it's owner.  The complexity is in the large variety of such card interactions each turn and how to best play your limited actions to good effect.