field commander rommel PC

Started by jomni, December 18, 2014, 01:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

also available for Mac and Mobile.
I think I'll get the iOS version. Graphics are quite cartoony.

http://www.dvg.com/.sc/ms/dd/Computer%20Games/83/Field%20Commander%20Rommel%20-%20PC

FlickJax

Nefaro

Quote from: FlickJax on December 18, 2014, 02:22:19 AM
Any screenies anywhere?

This.

I enjoyed their PC version of Phantom Leader.  It has the same art as the tabletop and conveyed the feel fairly well.  If this one is similarly filled-out then the price is right for me.

jomni

Here's the iOS version for your reference. Doesn't look tabletop at all.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id944758994

jomni

jomni

Nefaro

jomni

Shame. It's  a good serious wargame.  It does not deserve too look like a kiddie mobile game.

Reminds me of how Hornet Leader PC looks so weird compared to Hornet Leader Vassal.

PanzersEast

::)  NUTS!... what is that(!)... Fischer Price Commander?  Vassal by far.

PE

Ian C

Quote from: PanzersEast on December 18, 2014, 09:24:17 AM
::)  NUTS!... what is that(!)... Fischer Price Commander? 

Exactly.

It's the current notion companies have, that 'dumbing-down' niche strategy games will make them attractive to non-niche strategy game-playing customers and open up new demograpic sources of revenue, ignorant that these gamers don't play that kind of game no matter what wrapper you dress it up in, and at the same time, alienating their existing customer base who might have bought it if the company hadn't dumbed-it-down.

GJK

And it doesn't use dice...you get to spin the spinner!

Ok, I made that up...  :)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

TacticalWargames

Yep shame about the look. I'd have preferred a grittier aesthetic.

tgb

I don't mind the look that much but I will not buy or play a game that forces me to play as the Axis.  I didn't get Panzer Corps for the same reason.

MengJiao

Quote from: tgb on December 18, 2014, 10:04:41 AM
I don't mind the look that much but I will not buy or play a game that forces me to play as the Axis.  I didn't get Panzer Corps for the same reason.

40 years ago I would have loved everything about this game -- but, having been forced to trounce endless inexperienced players who just had to be Rommel AND then spending the last 15 years in online and PBEM games beating endless inexperienced players who just had to be Rommel (or Rommel3476 since there were already 3475 Rommels).  I can't see the name Rommel without thinking of piles of dead Rommels in every online game and MMORPG from Ultima to Battlefield42 to WWII Online.  I think almost any game about anything would interest me a lot more than something about Rommel.

panzerde

Quote from: Ian C on December 18, 2014, 09:40:18 AM

It's the current notion companies have, that 'dumbing-down' niche strategy games will make them attractive to non-niche strategy game-playing customers and open up new demograpic sources of revenue, ignorant that these gamers don't play that kind of game no matter what wrapper you dress it up in, and at the same time, alienating their existing customer base who might have bought it if the company hadn't dumbed-it-down.

This, in spades. I'm getting close to swearing off ever buying anything from certain game publishers for this reason. I'm getting tired of what sound like interesting games that have actually been slapped into submission with an iPad.

Not that there isn't a deluge of great, complex and groggy games to play. There are, nor do I begrudge anyone liking a system or engine that doesn't interest me. I do think trying to make a game about France '40 look like Angry Birds in the hopes of attracting Angry Birds players is a bad strategy.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres