Order of Battle: Pacific Live Stream starts soon!

Started by Grimnirsson, December 17, 2014, 01:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimnirsson

Just in case you are interested in this forthcoming game, the Live stream is going to start in a few minutes:

http://www.twitch.tv/slitherinegroup
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Grimnirsson

www.homefrontcenter.de

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Oh god no - thanks but not another Panzer Corps game...not my cup of tea.
Alba gu' brath

jomni

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 17, 2014, 02:06:50 PM

True, it generally plays similar.  But it is not Panzer Corps engine.  The graphics is 3D and it leaves wrecks.  It's got an interesting fatigue model that limits your blitzkrieg ability (it's the pacific anyway).  There is some supply model and it is punishing.  Tactics are definitely different. 

It models naval combat, carrier battles, amphibious landings and naval supply.  Don't be shocked about a naval rule where your attack value is halved when you make a move closer to your enemy.  You only get full attack value when stationary.  But the reasoning is sound: when you move closer to an enemy, you cannot point all your guns to the target.  Gun in the rear cannot traverse to face the front right?  When you are stationary, it assumes that you can turn or are already pointing all guns to the approaching enemy.  There are ways to avoid this in real life like snaking your way to the enemy but this simplified mechanic at least gives some tactical dilemmas.

Cyrano

I'll leave everything else to the side...

In what way are these graphics 3D?

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

JudgeDredd

Quote from: jomni on December 17, 2014, 05:24:17 PM

True, it generally plays similar.  But it is not Panzer Corps engine.  The graphics is 3D and it leaves wrecks.  It's got an interesting fatigue model that limits your blitzkrieg ability (it's the pacific anyway).  There is some supply model and it is punishing.  Tactics are definitely different. 

It models naval combat, carrier battles, amphibious landings and naval supply.  Don't be shocked about a naval rule where your attack value is halved when you make a move closer to your enemy.  You only get full attack value when stationary.  But the reasoning is sound: when you move closer to an enemy, you cannot point all your guns to the target.  Gun in the rear cannot traverse to face the front right?  When you are stationary, it assumes that you can turn or are already pointing all guns to the approaching enemy.  There are ways to avoid this in real life like snaking your way to the enemy but this simplified mechanic at least gives some tactical dilemmas.
I didn't just mean in look - although that really hit me.

I've gotten tired over the years of abstraction...there's always going to be some - but some can get too much

I watched part of it and it looked like Panzer Corps...ok - it's not - but that's what struck me.

By the way Panzer Corps done the "move and don't get your full attack value" iirc.
Alba gu' brath

jomni

Quote from: Cyrano on December 17, 2014, 05:37:25 PM
I'll leave everything else to the side...

In what way are these graphics 3D?

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"

Sorry not too sure because I can't find them in the directory (packed in some file).  Either they are actual 3D objects or better rendered and animated 2D sprites than Panzer Corps.  It's like PG3D vs. the original PG.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 17, 2014, 05:53:58 PM
Quote from: jomni on December 17, 2014, 05:24:17 PM

I didn't just mean in look - although that really hit me.

I've gotten tired over the years of abstraction...there's always going to be some - but some can get too much

I watched part of it and it looked like Panzer Corps...ok - it's not - but that's what struck me.

By the way Panzer Corps done the "move and don't get your full attack value" iirc.

I said the same thing about Warhammer, and everyone said I was wrong.... And WH even uses the same engine.

I wish these guys would make a Cold War game and cut it with the WW2 stuff. There's so much more you can do. Flexibility

Grimnirsson

QuoteIs there a release date?

A guy in the chat yesterday said "next year" and since the dude doing the presentation said it's still in development it will be rather end of than early 2015 I suppose.

QuoteI said the same thing about Warhammer, and everyone said I was wrong....

Not everyone...  ;)

www.homefrontcenter.de

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Cyrano

For the record, Apoc, I always had the back of the doubters on that one.  There's an ancient post -- couldn't believe how old it was when I found it *shudder* -- saying as much...the voice of a few crying in the wilderness...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Cyrano on December 18, 2014, 11:23:07 AM
For the record, Apoc, I always had the back of the doubters on that one.  There's an ancient post -- couldn't believe how old it was when I found it *shudder* -- saying as much...the voice of a few crying in the wilderness...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"

It's the same reason why the Call of Duty franchise pumps out the same product every year; if it sells, then it works. No need to change the formula.

In the end I'll probably buy it, but only if it has coop. Battle Academy 2 had forced me to see the light. I enjoy playing strategy games cooperatively. No more buying games that only have 1/2 of the features I want.