Command 1.06 is out

Started by RyanE, December 17, 2014, 11:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanE

Just noticed and downloading.  The updates are the sort other companies would have charged for them.  It is quite an extensive list of added features.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3762756

If you are only interested in the changes...

http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/PDF/CommandPatchEBOOK.pdf

Coiler

Downloaded and playing 1.06 right now. Mostly I'm just messing with the quick-turn options for aircraft and examining the changes to proficiency-very different and fun.

JudgeDredd

I remember someone ripping a game dev apart for using LUA. I think the game was HoI(2?) but I have no idea who the author was (it wasn't on this site...I can't remember the site either).

Basically it was something to do with LUA not being appropriate for the size of the game and therefore made the game sluggish.

As this has smaller scenarios than HoI, I'd expect the same wouldn't be true...I was mentioning it in case anyone here knew or remembered what I was talking about and if they could clarify.
Alba gu' brath

smittyohio

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 17, 2014, 02:02:43 PM
I remember someone ripping a game dev apart for using LUA. I think the game was HoI(2?) but I have no idea who the author was (it wasn't on this site...I can't remember the site either).

Basically it was something to do with LUA not being appropriate for the size of the game and therefore made the game sluggish.

As this has smaller scenarios than HoI, I'd expect the same wouldn't be true...I was mentioning it in case anyone here knew or remembered what I was talking about and if they could clarify.

It was on the Wargamer, one of the (several) reasons I left that place.   I wouldn't worry about it, as long as they're using it appropriately.   World of Warcraft mods are all done using LUA, and it's incredible the things modders have been able to do with that game to extend the UI and give useful "mini-apps".

Oh, and Johan piped in on that thread and basically laughed at the guy.

JudgeDredd

Yeah I remember Johan turning up vaguely

Can you remember who it was?
Alba gu' brath

Ian C

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 17, 2014, 02:02:43 PM

Yes, I remember. It was when Hearts of Iron III was first released and was really buggy and someone with coding knowledge went all-out with a constructive criticism on the Paradox forums. As I recall, it was an insightful post and he didn't get banned. I remember he stated LUA was inappropriate for certain things in the game.

RyanE

Well, my opinion on that is that you don't have to use scripting.  The game is powerful enough with current mission planning, mission execution, and event engine features that you can do a large number of scenario types without ever touching Lua.  Lua is only there for specific functions and if someone is building it out to the point of causing performance issues, someone somewhere is doing something wrong.

Lua is attractive specifically licensing is a non-issue and it is somewhat known commodity.

jomni

Quote from: RyanE on December 17, 2014, 03:15:10 PM
Well, my opinion on that is that you don't have to use scripting.  The game is powerful enough with current mission planning, mission execution, and event engine features that you can do a large number of scenario types without ever touching Lua.  Lua is only there for specific functions and if someone is building it out to the point of causing performance issues, someone somewhere is doing something wrong.

Lua is attractive specifically licensing is a non-issue and it is somewhat known commodity.

That's right.  All the current scenarios didn't use LUA and wouldn't need too.
LUA just adds some more possibility and variety like the computer side having an option to change missions because now they are stuck with only one mission type.