Ascension Deck-Building Game

Started by Nefaro, December 16, 2014, 06:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

So.. the digital Windows version is out now...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/320430/

Despite owning a few sets and being able to play it solitaire on the table, I grabbed the digital version for the extra human opponent opportunities.

O0

tgb

Sweet.  I've been waiting for a Windows version ever since getting this for my Nexus 7.  Plus it has all the DLC I didn't want to pay for.

Nefaro

Quote from: tgb on December 16, 2014, 08:09:05 PM
Sweet.  I've been waiting for a Windows version ever since getting this for my Nexus 7.  Plus it has all the DLC I didn't want to pay for.

Yeah, it's nice having all the extra expansion options.  I only have the first two or three physical sets so was a bit curious about the extra stuff added in later ones.

Really do enjoy deck-building games like this.  No dicking around with cards beforehand, you just do it as you play.   O0   

Ascension may be one of the more basic of it's kind but it's fun, moves along at a good clip, and the weird artwork definitely lends a unique style to it. 

I tried the digital version of Star Realms too.  It's even simpler.. probably too much so for my tastes.  Was looking forward to the PC version of Ascension so it was an insta-buy when I saw the release news.

Nefaro

Sweet baby Raptor Jesus is this thing addicting.  Even more so than I recall the original tabletop being. 

Easy to learn but still lots of enjoyment to be had.

Had to crank the AI up to the second level (max - red).  It doesn't seem to do so well in a 2-player game but when you use more than one AI it's sufficiently challenging.  O0

FarAway Sooner

I've not played the card game but often been intrigued by it.

2 questions:  #1: Is it even vaguely playable on a Droid, or do I need a tablet to play it?  #2: How much replay value is there if I just play vs the AI?  Don't some of the Ascension expansions offer a single-player and/or co-op mode?

Nefaro

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on December 18, 2014, 01:05:53 AM
I've not played the card game but often been intrigued by it.

2 questions:  #1: Is it even vaguely playable on a Droid, or do I need a tablet to play it?  #2: How much replay value is there if I just play vs the AI?  Don't some of the Ascension expansions offer a single-player and/or co-op mode?

Not sure about the tablet versions.  I've only recently picked up this PC version.

The PC version runs fine for me.  The screen is a fixed 4:3 ratio but it looks fine on my notebook's screen.  Runs great, although when I need to choose a card in my discard pile, I usually have to hold down the left mouse button for a second or two before it focuses and picks it up for the drag & drop.

The PC version comes with all the digital expansions for the $10 entry fee.  The match setup lets you pick & choose which sets to use.  If you use all six sets, I believe the draw deck weighs in at well over 700 cards.   :o  It also comes with the small promo packs you can drop in there. 

You can choose to play against 1 to 3 AI opponents in a single match and they each have two difficulty options.  Green for easy and Red for a challenge.  In a 2-player game (myself vs a Red AI opponent), I often get a win.  But the AI seems to do much better when there are more than one so I've been playing 3-player with AI opponents and one or both regularly beat me. 

There is also multi-player, which I will definitely check out soon.  Not sure if there's a match-maker but I get the impression that there is.

There are so many cards in all the sets combined that I'm still seeing new stuff after 8+ hours of play.   And, being a deck builder with so many different cards, you will have a different game every time since the stuff in the offer usually changes every turn.   

Not sure if some of you guys are familiar with Deck-Building gamesIt doesn't have directly aggressive plays such as many CCGs; you thwart other players by buying cards in the "offer" to use in your future draws (the deck-building part) or defeating the monsters to gain their points and any extra bonus action they provide (such as making other players discard).  Ascension is one of the easier deck-builders to learn, especially if you only start out with the base deck and work your way up.  A game against the AI takes about 30 minutes.. maybe?  So it goes pretty fast, and usually leaves me wanting to start another right away.

If you've kinda enjoyed CCGs, LCGs, or any premium card games before, but didn't like all the pre-game setup, excessively anal turn order phasing, and other stuff that bogged them down, then the deck-building ones are the droids you're looking for.  Or even if you do enjoy the others, this is a quick refreshing change.

tgb

I played a couple of games yesterday and really enjoy it, enough to pull me away from Chaos Reborn.  The AI is definitely better than the Android version.  I didn't have any of the DLC on my tablet, so I've been fooling around with them, one at a time, to see how they change the game.  When I've tried them all out I'll start thinking about combinations.

The Android and IOS versions allowed for asynchronous play against others, so I'm assuming this does as well.

Nefaro

Quote from: tgb on December 18, 2014, 06:19:20 AM

The Android and IOS versions allowed for asynchronous play against others, so I'm assuming this does as well.

Says it's actually compatible with them for multi-player.