Any Tropico fanatics here?

Started by Slick Wilhelm, November 27, 2014, 09:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slick Wilhelm

I'm thinking of picking up Tropico 5 during the Steam sale. It looks a little more interesting to me than the older versions, because you start back in the late 1800's and work your way through the 20th century. I haven't played any of the versions, but it looks like the humor is pretty good in version 5.

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated!

Barthheart

Also thinking of getting 5. I played 3 a lot and have 4 but not played it much, backlog rather than dislike.

They are fun city builders. Challenging at times... though I mostly play in sandbox mode.

Barthheart

Yskonyn

Yeah its been on my wishlist since release.
Had tons of fun with the earlier iterations and 5 seems to be a strong installation in the series again.

But with the backlog of games I have I think I will wait and see if it makes the X-Mas sale.

If you never played Tropico before I think 5 is the perfect place to start.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

Just curious...has anyone been playing this one and any thoughts on it?  Never played any past versions, but was considering version 5.  Seems like feelings are mixed throughout the Internet so not sure if something to spend time on.

Barthheart

I played both 3 and 4 before this one and I like the changes.
You start as a governor of a colony and need to earn your independence in a certain amount of time or you will be replaced.
Once you have independence you take your new country through the ages form Cold War to Modern times.
You also get to create a dynasty now that is useable during any sandbox or campaign game. You can have up to 7 members active in your dynasty and each can be upgraded as you go.

Great fway to n for those times when you want something lighter to play.

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 29, 2014, 03:18:19 PM
Just curious...has anyone been playing this one and any thoughts on it?  Never played any past versions, but was considering version 5.  Seems like feelings are mixed throughout the Internet so not sure if something to spend time on.

I'm going through the tutorials now, Grim, and I like it so far. Of course, I don't have all that much time into it. Making History, the Great War is sucking a lot of my potential Tropico 5 time right now.

Grim.Reaper

Thanks..very tempted.  I will review a few gameplay videos to see if clicks with me.

Nefaro

I was close as having Tropico 5 and some of it's DLC in my cart but got cold feet and removed them.

I still haven't done much Tropico 4.  Not from lack of interest, but time.  Definitely enjoy being dictator of a banana republic, but the urge doesn't hit me as often as some other stuff.

Having picked up the whole range of Tropico 4 DLC sometime in the past, it would be a shame to drop money on the new one before experiencing it.  I'm not sure if the extra colonial era is enough to reel me in just yet anyway.

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: Nefaro on December 29, 2014, 09:38:43 PM
I'm not sure if the extra colonial era is enough to reel me in just yet anyway.

This was actually the hook that got me to purchase. As you know, I'm a total WWI whore, so being able to grow my own Banana Republic and throw off the Imperial yoke of the English crown - If I choose to - and perhaps ally with the Central Powers...was very titillating to me. 

Nefaro

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on December 30, 2014, 11:23:40 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 29, 2014, 09:38:43 PM
I'm not sure if the extra colonial era is enough to reel me in just yet anyway.

This was actually the hook that got me to purchase. As you know, I'm a total WWI whore, so being able to grow my own Banana Republic and throw off the Imperial yoke of the English crown - If I choose to - and perhaps ally with the Central Powers...was very titillating to me.

Don't get me wrong.  It sounds like even more fun.  But I haven't put in enough time with the Cold War & Modern Times stuff in #4 yet to justify getting 5 for that.