Gaming Groups - Clans, Squads, Squadrons, etc.

Started by republic, November 27, 2014, 03:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

republic

Do any of you belong to gaming groups? 

I often find myself playing online with the teenage squeakers and their older griefer variants, and I wish I could play with a regular group of adults.  So I go and find a few only to read all the requirements and wonder if I'd ever manage to juggle my life well enough to do half of what they want...

I end up doing this a few times a year and think "We'll if I'd just signed up the first time I thought about this I'd be set by now..."

Asid

I belong to the Dogs of War

We play only Steel Beasts at the moment. Mostly older group of players. We have a casual group as we;ll as a more "involved" group.

regards
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Silent Disapproval Robot

I play ArmA with the usual group from SimHQ.  It's not a formal clan or anything, just a group of regulars.  I used to fly on the War Grounds: Western Front IL-2: 46 server quite regularly and would often see and fly with the same people.  Many of them were in clans or squads or whatever and would offer invites but I don't think it's for me.  I checked a few out briefly but it was always too regimented for my liking.  "You must make 2 practice sessions per week and agree to participate in tournament challenges on the following days...blah blah blah."  I play for fun, not as a form of work.

Yskonyn

Like Asid, Dogs of War.

I also belong to Dads of Destiny on the PS4.

And Beholders of Animus in FFXIV.

Plus, I regard Few Good Men (mostly Combat Mission) as a great group/clan.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Boggit

I used to play over at the Blitz Wargaming Club. They were a really good bunch of guys, and have no reason to think any different now. The only reason I stopped over there is because real life was butting in too much for me to maintain a reasonable return rate, or to make regular commitments to long term games. I guess I should go back to them now my situation has changed. I often play MP on the Slitherine lobby for Field of Glory, and the regular guys there are welcoming and good opponents.

I looked at Few Good Men's website, and thought they looked a great group so I agree with Yskonyn's view of them.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 27, 2014, 05:51:47 PM
Isn't there a GrogHeads Steam group?

Not only is there a Steam group, but there's an entire thread stickeyed at the top of this forum for it!

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=3367.0
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Asid

There is also a group from here (GrogHeads) who casually play Steelbeasts in the Dogs of War vu. They drop in and out when the fancy takes them :)
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Father Ted

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 27, 2014, 04:14:37 PM
I used to fly on the War Grounds: Western Front IL-2: 46 server quite regularly and would often see and fly with the same people.  Many of them were in clans or squads or whatever and would offer invites but I don't think it's for me.  I checked a few out briefly but it was always too regimented for my liking.  "You must make 2 practice sessions per week and agree to participate in tournament challenges on the following days...blah blah blah."  I play for fun, not as a form of work.

Having dabbled with MP FPSs, I realised that I wanted to fly with real people and had a look at the squads on Mission4Today.  I signed up with a squad which seemed to fit my way of playing.  It has exponentially increased the enjoyment I get from CFSs, and I have made some real friends.  Our particular bunch is a squadron I suppose, but there's no requirement to attend, or ranks, or any of that malarkey, so it doesn't have to be that way.  We have our own closed server to fly DFs or coops, so you're away from any online BS, but if you want to venture into the "big leagues" you can have a mate to talk to and watch your six.

jomni

Not really a clan but The Blitz is a place where I occasionally  do competitive turn based wargaming. www.theblitz.org

In the flight sim world, I'm a member of VATSIM (vatsim.org).  it's a global group of Air Traffic Controllers and Pilots. We play by real world air traffic rules.

TacticalWargames

I too can highly recommend The Blitz community. The Squad Battles bunch are a great set of lads and are more than willing to help newbies etc etc.

SimHQ groups should be good to as that website\forum has a decent crowd.

republic

Thanks for the suggestions fellas, I'll look into those.  I haven't been able to catch a SimHQ ARMA night yet but I plan to.