A question born from a fading memory and the echoes of vaporware

Started by Philippe, November 26, 2014, 04:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

I'm a sucker for the early colonization of the Americas.  That's probably why I keep buying iteration after iteration of Europa Universalis, and tend to be very forgiving of Pirate games as long as they have decent maps and I can mod the flags.

A few years ago there was a game that may have eventually gotten published but that might have ended up as vaporware about an English colony in the Americas in the 17th century.  It was an RPG, and it had a little bit of magic and/or the supernatural to it, and it involved either Jamestown or the Lost Colony of Roanoak.  I think you were supposed to go to Roanoak and figure out why it failed, or maybe go there and prevent it from failing.

I'm pretty sure the game had neither Roanoke nor Jamestown in the name.

The reason I ask is because it is the kind of game that would very likely be on sale at Steam, warts and all, if it ever made it out of development.

Anyone know what the name of this game might have been?  I'm not thinking of a failed (?) multi-player game that was set in Plymouth -- this was definitely about Virginia (and I think at one point you would have to talk to ghosts, which is why I think it was about Roanoke).
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Toonces

No, I think he's talking about that game where everything is in black and white except a few parts that are in red...all the settlers were killed and you have to find out why.  I'm looking for it on Steam...I don't remember the name either.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Betrayer

http://store.steampowered.com/app/243120/

Betrayer is a first person action adventure game that takes you to the New World at the turn of the 17th century.

The year is 1604. You sailed from England expecting to join a struggling colony on the coast of Virginia. Instead, you find only ghosts and mysteries. What catastrophe blighted the land and drained it of color and life? Where are the settlers and tribes who lived here?

Clue by clue, you must piece together the story of what befell this doomed settlement and find a way to set things right. You will be hunted by corrupted Conquistadors and ravening shadows as you explore an expansive wilderness in order to trace the brief, tragic history of the colony and search for survivors.

On sale -66% for $7.99.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

I bought Betrayer a year ago.   Still haven't played it.  :o

My excuse is that it was in Early Access.  May still be.

Philippe

Quote from: Toonces on November 26, 2014, 09:16:19 PM
Betrayer

http://store.steampowered.com/app/243120/

Betrayer is a first person action adventure game that takes you to the New World at the turn of the 17th century.

The year is 1604. You sailed from England expecting to join a struggling colony on the coast of Virginia. Instead, you find only ghosts and mysteries. What catastrophe blighted the land and drained it of color and life? Where are the settlers and tribes who lived here?

Clue by clue, you must piece together the story of what befell this doomed settlement and find a way to set things right. You will be hunted by corrupted Conquistadors and ravening shadows as you explore an expansive wilderness in order to trace the brief, tragic history of the colony and search for survivors.

On sale -66% for $7.99.

Thank you!  I'm really impressed with your memory, as I never would have figured that. 

Philippe

Just downloaded the demo.  The visuals are very unusual, but the options include a saturation slider (which you can access from inside the game) if the black and white starts to get to you.  I find the concept of a black and white world interesting, but a little odd if you aren't dead or asleep.  So far I've tried a bit of the demo with no saturation (i.e. out of the box) and 50% (which is the normal full color setting in Photoshop -- anything more tends to glow in the dark). 

And I'll try not to be too disturbed if my character pulls out a flintlock pistol instead of a wheelock.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Philippe on November 27, 2014, 12:57:16 PM

And I'll try not to be too disturbed if my character pulls out a flintlock pistol instead of a wheelock.

To be fair, the Flintlock was introduced in 1610 and had become pretty widespread in Europe by the first quarter of that century.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys