Space Empires IV and V

Started by Labbug, November 25, 2014, 11:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Labbug

I would like some advice.  Steam has Space Empires Deluxe IV for $9.99.  It also has Space Empires Deluxe IV and V pack on sale for $19.99.  I know there has been love for IV and not so much for V.  Is it worth getting either one with all the new or future Space games?

Rayfer

Just my experience, others will have differing opinions.....IV was great but I just couldn't get into V at all.  I still enjoy IV from time to time, it's an older game so the graphics aren't anything much to look at but is highly customizable, turn based and challenging. Because of its age it's nearly impossible to compare it to the newer stuff out now.

Nefaro

I thought IV and V were pretty much the same thing except V has a bit more content and the combat was changed (quite possibly for the better)?

Dunno why someone would choose IV over V unless there were some bugs or something.

bbmike

V doesn't play well with later versions of Windows but that's the only thing I can think of.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on November 25, 2014, 12:14:53 PM
V doesn't play well with later versions of Windows but that's the only thing I can think of.

?? LIke what?  It worked on my Win7 for a couple hours just fine.

Was it Windows 8 you're talking about?  Wouldn't surprise me.

airboy

Space Empires V was buggy.  I never got it to run on my machine.

Space Empires V also did not allow the player to make tactical combat decisions.  Space Empires IV allows either quick combat resolution - or for turn-based space combat.

Space Empires IV also has a lot of user developed content (especially ship sets), while V never really caught on with the modding community.

Overall, IV was better and had more user developed content than V.

Jarhead0331

I wouldn't pay that much. They always go on sale. Hold off for a few weeks and I'm sure it will be discounted.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Labbug

Huw the Poo

4 is just fine, and yes, many people (myself included) never got 5 to run on later versions of Windows.  It really only adds better graphics anyway.

Get 4.  I still consider it one of the best games in the genre.

Yskonyn

V is considered to have braindead AI as opposed to IV which was decently playable against the AI.
Never saw either in action, but this seems to be the major complaint about V.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: airboy on November 25, 2014, 12:25:32 PM
Space Empires V was buggy.  I never got it to run on my machine.

Space Empires V also did not allow the player to make tactical combat decisions.  Space Empires IV allows either quick combat resolution - or for turn-based space combat.

Space Empires IV also has a lot of user developed content (especially ship sets), while V never really caught on with the modding community.

Overall, IV was better and had more user developed content than V.

Oh sweet baby Raptor Jesus!   I was thinking of the wrong series during this whole thread!

I thought you guys were talking about Smugglers IV & V !!

.. but there was some discussion of it recently.  So maybe I'm not going totally senile!

You're all correct, of course.  I never got SEV to work properly on modern OSes. 

Huw the Poo

By the way Labbug, if you do get SEIV and want games bigger than 100 systems, you will either have to name some yourself or grab something like the system names mod.  If you can't find it I can email you a copy.

Nefaro

I went through the dozen-plus hoops of installing the Star Trek mod for SEIV and didn't end up getting around to playing it.  :uglystupid2:   Now that there are ST mods for DW:U, I'm not sure if I ever will.

BanzaiCat

Ha, I was looking for info on IV and V and looky what I find.

IV is only $2.49 on Steam right now. V is 3.74. But if y'all think IV is better, I'll go for it.

Like I have any business doing that anyway...I bought MOO I and II some time ago from GOG and still haven't cracked 'em open (though I did a lot, back in the day...).

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 07, 2015, 06:20:31 PM
Ha, I was looking for info on IV and V and looky what I find.

IV is only $2.49 on Steam right now. V is 3.74. But if y'all think IV is better, I'll go for it.

Like I have any business doing that anyway...I bought MOO I and II some time ago from GOG and still haven't cracked 'em open (though I did a lot, back in the day...).

Or just buy both for $3.99:)

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/287/