Main Menu

Naval Action

Started by Father Ted, November 24, 2014, 01:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Anyone who has even a passing interest in sailing age warfare must keep a sharp eye on the development of this game. I just picked up the sea trials alpha, had no idea what I was doing and still had an absolute blast. The game is also absolutely beautiful and it sounds amazing too.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Bison

That is a really beautiful looking game.

mirth

Quote from: Bison on December 26, 2014, 03:24:06 PM
That is a really beautiful looking game.

+1 Every screenie I've seen has been gorgeous.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Cyrano

It's essentially the sailing dynamics of Pirates of the Burning Sea without so much magic-rubbish peanut butter in my historical gaming chocolate.  Which is all I really wanted.  A critical skill, at least in the current build, is calculating (read: guessing) at distance when firing.  This necessarily involves firing on the up- or down-roll depending on the circumstances and is a neat, simple choice.  You can also fire partial broadsides to calculate ranging shots and them hammer home once you've found same.  Mind, I've not personally been able to pull this stunt off, but it was certainly done to me on more than one occasion.

Unsurprisingly, I suppose, it's lackluster PvE, but, get into a bigger PvP match and it's pretty spectacular.

I'll admit I was unaware there was a leveling grind -- even in an Alpha like this -- to get the bigger ships, but even those I've earned so far are great fun.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Nefaro

The sail textures make them actually look like sails.   :o

Cyrano

+1 on that...I also love watching my opponents add or back sails as appropriate...nice sense of place.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Grim.Reaper

Looks like they have made available for purchase again (to join their Alpha).....really looks nice, but without a single player option, a no go for me.

http://www.navalaction.com/purchase/

IronX

This one is definitely on my wish-list, but you have to wait another week (Friday) before you get the key.

It's coming out next month on Steam Early Access too, so may pick it up then.

besilarius

And, of course, a hula-hoop with a nail in it, is a navel destroyer.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Nefaro

Had a good time with the pvp battles months ago.  But the game was progressing so quickly, with lots to be added, so I filed it for future feature-completeness.

From what I've seen recently, they've had a budding open world facet added for awhile now and have been steadily adding stuff.  O0

mikeck

I have wanted a game like this for years but I need single player. Damn
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson