Company of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault Released!

Started by trek, November 17, 2014, 08:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trek

Just a heads up people. We got an early release. COH2:AA just downloaded into my COH2 on Steam. I just played the first few minutes of the campaign...it looks very good!

Jarhead0331

Seems a bit pricey for DLC...let us know your impressions.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Eh. Screw it. I got it.

Initial impressions are very positive. Combat is fun and has a lot of awesome details. The manner in which the snow reacts to troops and vehicles is impressive. I saw wounded infantry dragging themselves through the snow and leaving trails...same with vehicle tracks and boots. A lot of cool weapons and troop formations. Airborne, Pathfinder, Support and Rangers. Biggest new draw is a somewhat dynamic campaign which permits the player to select officers and units and move them on a strategic map. Only scratching the surface, but so far it seems like far more than just an average DLC.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

I don't know about it being DLC - it doesn't mention requiring the previous iteration on the Steam page

And lol at you buying after asking for impressions and before getting them! You stay strong. Geez JH - you make me look like I have willpower! O0
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

As if I'm the first guy to do that around here...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

sandman2575

Intrigued by the semi-dynamic campaign -- although would've been nice if a German campaign was included too (a la the old Opposing Fronts CoH expansion) -- esp. at the $40 asking price.

I remain really ambivalent about CoH2. My initial disappointment when the game came out has softened somewhat, but overall I do hate how fast CoH2 plays. Even in relation to original CoH, which was certainly fast-paced, CoH2 feels like a relentless twitchfest -- often more stressful than enjoyable, whereas CoH always felt enjoyable to me (still does), even when it's putting you through the paces...

JudgeDredd

Quote from: sandman2575 on November 18, 2014, 12:15:41 PM
Intrigued by the semi-dynamic campaign -- although would've been nice if a German campaign was included too (a la the old Opposing Fronts CoH expansion) -- esp. at the $40 asking price.

I remain really ambivalent about CoH2. My initial disappointment when the game came out has softened somewhat, but overall I do hate how fast CoH2 plays. Even in relation to original CoH, which was certainly fast-paced, CoH2 feels like a relentless twitchfest -- often more stressful than enjoyable, whereas CoH always felt enjoyable to me (still does), even when it's putting you through the paces...
That's my experience of CoH and why I never bothered with CoH2 - I can do without the stress...and I do find those click festy RTS games very stressful.

There was a slowdown command for the original CoH which made the game MUCH more playable and I'm really surprised they didn't include game speed as an option...given someone actually put it in the code to do so...

If there was a slow down option, I would likely buy this...but if it's still frenetic, then I'm out I'm afraid.
Alba gu' brath

sandman2575

As I recall, the only way to slow-down CoH was by entering a command via the console?  It was kind of more a dev-hack than a feature.  But it did let you play at any reduced percentage of the full speed, which was nice, and I did try it on occasion.

Maybe it's my aging reflexes, but CoH2 gives me fits in a way CoH never did.

JudgeDredd

Yes it was a "dev tool"...but it obviously was coded...I never understood why they couldn't think...

"Ok...this game is meant to be played at break neck speed...but some people don't like that and want it slowed down...I know...lets give them an option so they can play it how they like" - Crazy   :crazy2:

Note to Devs.....Options ARE GOOD THINGS  :knuppel2:
Alba gu' brath

sandman2575

I'm all for more options, always.  But I think, increasingly, devs at the Big Studios don't give a whole lotta thought to the folks out there (like you and me) who want things to go slower.