FC:RS Campaign (Silver Lions)

Started by Double Deuce, October 30, 2014, 11:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double Deuce

Since the Silver Lions Campaign I am working on for Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm is taking a lot longer than I anticipated due to real life commitments, I have decided to just go ahead and release the first scenario and see what kind of interest and feedback I get.

You can find the details and download the file from my website.

Herman Hum

Do you want a video AAR?

I see that the scenario is best recommended as "US vs. AI".  Is it playable at all via PBEM?  I just met a new PBEM opponent.  It might be nice to try this scenario since neither of us have ever seen it before.  We would thus truly be approaching it as a blank slate from each side.  Is it sufficiently balanced (or close enough) to give us a good experience?
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Double Deuce

You can do an AAR if you like.

As for balance, its intended to be the lead in scenario to a full blown campaign and has only really be playtested from the US side. I think I played it from the Soviet side once or twice, mainly to test movement times and such but that was against the AI running the US, never player vs player. With PvP game it might be tougher on the US player.

Herman Hum

My PBEM opponent went AWOL so I just played it in solitaire.  I assembled my forces in the SE and re-supplied before approaching Neidersteinbach via Mombris.  I triggered the defending units but was able to push past them.  It was very frustrating to watch a couple of cheap AT units eviscerate nearly four platoons of armoured vehicles.  There seemed to be no way to suppress them or kill them effectively until they ran out of ammunition and started their headless chicken routines.

I did manage to capture all VP locations, but could only manage 75% Tactical success due to the loss of many high-VP vehicles.  I am glad I attacked along a single axis.  Had I tried a multi-axis approach, I would have lost many more vehicles to the AT platoons guarding other avenues of approach.  The scenario is fun, enjoyable, and kept me in suspense as I waited for the other shoe to drop (which it thankfully never did).

Should you wish to make the scenario more difficult, placement of the defending picket units closer to the VP locations would cause greater losses to an attacker.  In my battle, many of the outlying units never triggered.  One I was inside the perimeter, there were not many defenders.

Thanks for the scenario.

ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Double Deuce

Thanks for the feedback.

Agree on the outlying defenses. Since there are 3 routes of advance (1 really less than ideal in the north), I was trying to strike a balance of having units hold in place and only react if contact is made in other areas. Being they are so far away from their main commander, that delays their response time in contacting back to the center.

Double Deuce

Finally got the 2nd scenario done, just needs a little more playtesting and it should be ready. Will post more information shortly.

Double Deuce

Ok, here is the second scenario in the Silver Lions Campaign.

BEERFURTH RESCUE!

US vs Soviet
US Assault
Best Played: US vs AI

Near Beerfurth, Federal Republic of Germany
May 11, 1985
Length: 9 Hours
Scenario Size: Small

As Soviet heliborne troops strike deep into NATO's rear areas and begin to seize strategic crossroads and other important locations they continually come across large contingents of foreign nationals working for West German companies. During operations to secured the area around Beerfurth they capture hundreds of such Turkish nationals. Hoping to use the "safety" of these workers as a bargaining tool to keep Turkey out of the war they begin rounding them up and organizing transport to remove them back to the Soviet front lines where they can be more easily managed.

Having discovered these plans and at the insistence of the Turkish Ambassador, NATO Command orders the US 8th Infantry Division to prevent their removal and secure them from the Soviet forces operating in the vicinity of Beerfurth. The closest unit to this area with the combat power to handle this size mission is 2nd Brigade's TF 2/68 AR (Silver Lions) however, it will require a night march and then an attack before dawn if they hope to stop the Soviet operation. As if the time constraint is not bad enough, rain is forecast for most of the night of the 10th/11th.

It can be downloaded at this link: FCRS Scenario: Beerfurth Rescue!

Double Deuce

Also, I set this one up as a standalone scenario so while the Tank Battalion is mixed (2x Mech, 2x Tank Co's), it has not been Task Force organized. The OOB shows the line companies as 'pure'. Feel free to organize the OOB as you see fit.