Lords of the Fallen

Started by Jarhead0331, October 28, 2014, 06:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Anyone playing? Looks pretty delicious...sort of like Dark Souls for wussies. I count myself as a wussy here.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

Looks like a console port.  Is this true?

Gusington

I think it is. And it's kinda being marketed as Dark Souls for wussies.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

tgb

If there's one thing I don't need to buy right now it's another game.  If word is good I may pick it up on sale down the road.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on October 28, 2014, 07:19:20 PM
I think it is. And it's kinda being marketed as Dark Souls for wussies.

I definitely have my eye on it.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tpek

I have it but was barely able to play it yesterday.
The game was so bug-ridden and filled with technical issues that I just couldn't play.

They release a patch today that is supposed to address some of these issues and I'm getting a new video card soon so maybe I'll be able to play it better by the weekend :)

Tpek

Patch didn't help much.
The game is still unplayable if you do the tutorial without a controller.

So now the dilemma is, go on principle and wait for a patch or plug in a controller :P

Tpek

After doing the tutorial with a controller (what a sh******** tutorial that was) I kept playing a bit.
It really looks and feels a lot like Dark Souls, except without the getting ugly part and the MP.

Jarhead0331

^so is that a good or bad thing?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tpek

^Did you like DS?
I didn't.
And I find this game just as 'meh'.

JasonPratt

:o

Wow. I'm not the world's biggest fan of the DS games, but the marketing (though only recent) looks super-solid.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

I finally picked this up during the Steam sale. I think it was 66% off.

So far, I'm really liking it. It is a beautiful game and I think it controls a lot better than Dark Souls. I could never get into Dark Souls, but this game pretty much grabbed me right away. It is definitely RPG-lite. Character creation options are pretty limited. Three classes, Three magic schools, a handful of attributes which are stock based upon the class you pick, etc. But honestly, these limited options helped me create a character quickly and jump right in. Some of the more complex RPGs I end up feeling like I just gave birth after an hour of customizing my character. I'm so exhausted by the process that I leave the game to take a break never to return.

So far the combat, while again, fairly limited and straight forward, is fun. It has an interesting experience mechanic. As you kill enemies, you gain experience points. These points are collected and the more points you have, the more points are yielded from defeated enemies. Stored experience points act as a modifier which yields greater points.  There are shard locations located throughout the realm where you can convert your stored experience into attribute or spell points. These points can then be used to improve your character.  However, when you spend the experience on  attribute or spell points, you lose the modifier and have to build up your experience again. Additionally, it is dangerous storing points because when you die, you lose them.  They can be recovered by returning to the location of your death and collecting them...but be quick, because the points degrade as time passes.

Anyway, I'll play more and see if it continues to hold my interest. The armor and weapon loot is practically enough to keep me going. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog