Combat Mission: Black Sea Article - Out by End of Year

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 25, 2014, 01:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Nice little article that contains some info on the upcoming game and as part of it, says will be released before end of year.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/23/7052023/game-predicted-war-in-syria-and-ukraine

Apocalypse 31

They need a new game engine. Something with optimization, and stop milking a 10+ year old engine.

JudgeDredd

Thanks for that. I'll be buying I think.

But wth is it with people who video Combat Mission - they're always moving all over the place...even when not actually issuing orders. It's like they just can't NOT move the mouse about or NOT zoom in or zoom out!
Alba gu' brath

Cyrano

A purchase here was never in doubt, but I'm curious how far along they are in the re-fit of CM:SF they suggested might happen.

3.0 CMx2 is little like the SF of a decade ago so the notion that we might get some of it fitted back into the desert would be outstanding.

Well that and the rest of the EF, the Bulge, &c.

It was also interesting to hear BFC speak so bluntly about Putin...some if their Russian customers, if the company's forums are any indication, will not be pleased.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

RyanE

I didn't see a lot new there.  It was interesting, but I thought Black Sea was supposed to be out even earlier than that.  I thought the original announcement had it at mid-2014.

btw, noticed they still don't have the CMRT patch out.  I have almost given up on that one.

Grim.Reaper

I'll likely be purchasing as well since would like to get back to some of the modern stuff versus WWII.  If they are going to get out by end of the year, pre-orders will have to be soon since typically they have been 6-8 weeks before release I believe.  Although, not sure there is a real need to pre order from this company anymore, unless your looking to get the physical media too, which typically you got a few dollars off.

Cyrano

If they keep with their typical marketing scheme, a pre-order basically gets you a download and media for the price of the download...which is nice...

They've also thrown in collector tins for the CMx2 stuff since CMBN.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

jomni

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 25, 2014, 02:12:36 PM
Thanks for that. I'll be buying I think.

But wth is it with people who video Combat Mission - they're always moving all over the place...even when not actually issuing orders. It's like they just can't NOT move the mouse about or NOT zoom in or zoom out!

Trying to make it cinematic.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Cyrano on October 25, 2014, 07:08:51 PM
If they keep with their typical marketing scheme, a pre-order basically gets you a download and media for the price of the download...which is nice...

They've also thrown in collector tins for the CMx2 stuff since CMBN.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"

Yep..however for me, I see little value in getting any physical media nowadays since I can't remember the last time I used a CD/DVD to play a game.  But I do understand some folks enjoy that type of thing, which is perfectly fine.  For me, it is just taking up physical space in my office, which has become very limited:)

Cyrano

Oh, amen Reaper.

Whatever I might take to be the value of the DVD -- and I haven't loaded a game from a DVD in I don't know how long -- the collector tins, were they not CM related stuff, would long ago have been binned, I think.

As to the video jumping thing, my wife, a professional video editor and producer, notes that this is something common to gamers generally as they try to record their work.  We tend to forget that there's an interpolation that our brains do for us of the action on screen -- notably of narrative and context -- that a good director will try to bring back.  The person running the sim, though, finds this immensely frustrating as he's just running the game through paces with which he is long familiar, finding the whole "make it understandable" process tedious.  FPSs suffer from this less as they're, well, first-person, and the view is therefore limited.  A game like CM with all of its moving parts and crazy sound cues...a bit nuts...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"

WallysWorld

Sorry to hijack this thread, but there appears to be a vehicle pack on its way for CMBN:  http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=117319

Vehicle list:

Allies
+ Churchill Crocodile
+ Churchlll ARVE
+ Churchill MkX LT
+ Sherman Crab (British)
+ Priest Kangaroo
+ Stuart Kangaroo
+ Sherman Crab (American)
+ M12 GMC
+ 57mm ATG Bunker
+ 6pdr ATG Bunker
+ American Backpack flamethrower
+ British Backpack flamethrower

Germans
+ Flammenpanzer Char B1
+ Flakpanzer 38(t)
+ SdKfz 135/1 150mm
+ Hummel 150mm
+ Geeschützwagen 39H(f) 75mm
+ Geeschützwagen 39H(f) 105mm
+ U304(f)/1 -> standard
+ U304(f)/3 -> command
+ U304(f)/7 -> mortar
+ U304(f)/10 -> platoon leader
+ R-35
+ Pak40 ATG Bunker
+ Pak36R ATG Bunker
+ Pak38 ATG Bunker
+ German Backpack flamethrower
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

MikeGER

Quote from: WallysWorld on October 25, 2014, 11:39:57 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but there appears to be a vehicle pack on its way for CMBN:  http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=117319

+1  O0 ...guys check the video in that thread over at Battlefront (mineclearing tank in action !)   

Grim.Reaper

Not sure if accurate but someone was speculating the price of the unit pack to be $20, although cost not that critical if you enjoy that stuff.  But what probably will make me pause is the fact that really no missions or campaigns will use them unless a modder does it or you use in a quick battle.  Seems like the release is expected really soon so I guess we'll see how this all works soon enough.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 26, 2014, 05:39:19 AM
Not sure if accurate but someone was speculating the price of the unit pack to be $20, although cost not that critical if you enjoy that stuff.  But what probably will make me pause is the fact that really no missions or campaigns will use them unless a modder does it or you use in a quick battle.  Seems like the release is expected really soon so I guess we'll see how this all works soon enough.
Should've (if they are not) included some scenarios.

Of course loads of people swear by the editor. I've not had much luck with it myself...finding unit selection fiddly.
Alba gu' brath

RyanE

Those are cool.  I am hoping that the design concept that was theorized back with CMSF in 2007 is finally coming to fruition...being able to pump out small content packs much more frequently than in the past.  SO far it hasn't worked, but this is a good sign.