Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition approaches

Started by JasonPratt, October 21, 2014, 12:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Really? Did they already do BG2 enhanced? (Oh, I see. Um, yes, they did.)

I bought BG1 enhanced, though I never played it as I heard it was rather severely bugged (though so was the last iteration of the original BG1).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

KyzBP

I've been playing through BG1 Enhanced lately and haven't seen any bugs I can think of.  I've been enjoying it and will probably pick up both BGII and Icewind Dale.

Rayfer

Quote from: KyzBP on October 21, 2014, 01:25:35 PM
I've been playing through BG1 Enhanced lately and haven't seen any bugs I can think of.  I've been enjoying it and will probably pick up both BGII and Icewind Dale.

+1...I played BG1 enhanced all the way through and had no bugs, no ctd's or lockups.  I liked the enhanced version.  It looks better but most of all it was the ability to scroll in and out that was worth the price.  It also added some new content and npc's who you can take into your party. But for the most part it was still BG1 all over again.

JasonPratt

I never did finish even 1/3 of BG1 (much less anything afterward) -- since I already have a cost sunk into this, I may have to revisit soon. (Though my supergiant fetchquest epic feelings are being nicely met by Lotro right now, which so long as I can keep going singleplayer is like a larger more colorful Skyrim.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

BanzaiCat

BG1 Enhanced gave me trouble when I last played it several months ago...it would often freeze and crash so I gave up. Maybe they've fixed the issues?

I've never played through BG1 all the way to the end, not even back in the day.

Sir Slash

I finished 1 but not 2. Couldn't get past the Big-Ass Black Dragon. >:(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

The last time I played I had two campaigns going; one as a cleric PC with an actual NPC party, and one as a lone mage PC which was yes just as harrowing as it sounds for 2nd edition D&D early level (or even mid-level) mages. Though as I recall I did pick up a temporary NPC to get past one sidequest where a siren invariably instakills the lead character (meaning game over if you've assigned your PC as the party lead).

Also, my cleric depending on my mood was using sound clips from various characters in Heroic Legend of Arislan (a sadly never-finished fantasy epic from, if I recall correctly, the writer of The Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and wonderfully quotable in the English dub) or Record of Lodoss War (the original OVA not the TV series); while my mage typically quoted sound-bites from Ash in Army of Darkness.

I shall have to check if I can similarly hack the automatic quip lists in the enhanced edition, though it would be nice if the game now provided a way to do that in-game.

"Thanks to you, I have lost precious time. So it is only right that I kill every last one of you!"

Con

Where you guys playing it on the iPad?  If so any comments recommendations?  I would love to take this for some gaming when I travel

Con

Sir Slash

Mine was PC only. With my old party from SSI's Curse of the Azure Bonds which worked quite well.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Con on October 22, 2014, 12:54:53 PM
Where you guys playing it on the iPad?  If so any comments recommendations?  I would love to take this for some gaming when I travel

Con

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/id515114051?mt=8

Rayfer

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 22, 2014, 12:15:46 PM
I finished 1 but not 2. Couldn't get past the Big-Ass Black Dragon. >:(

LOL...brings back an old memory...I could only get past the black dragon with a cheat code, otherwise I would have never gone further.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 22, 2014, 02:14:03 PM
Mine was PC only. With my old party from SSI's Curse of the Azure Bonds which worked quite well.

I was about to go "holy what?!" when I remembered that could be lightly hacked in-game by using multiplayer mode in a singleplayer fashion: roll up as many PCs as you want, play hotseat.

JasonPratt

Noooooo! Did I seriously not at least bring my wav samples over to my new computer last year, so I could put them into BG later?? #elitefirstworldproblems

KyzBP

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 22, 2014, 06:38:06 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 22, 2014, 02:14:03 PM

I was about to go "holy what?!" when I remembered that could be lightly hacked in-game by using multiplayer mode in a singleplayer fashion: roll up as many PCs as you want, play hotseat.

That was my favorite way to play.  Make up a party of whatever you wanted and then go terrorize the Sword Coast.  You didn't have to pick up NPC's unless you were playing some sort of ironman mode.

JasonPratt

Or needed them for plot purposes.

Or wanted to pick them up briefly to rob them and leave them helplessly behind once you had their way with them.

Not that I ever left a free slot in my party in order to do that. Because that would be horribly gamey ahem.