Sid Meyer's Beyond Earth...is no-one playing?

Started by JudgeDredd, October 21, 2014, 01:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Any good deals out for Beyond Earth? I've lost track of the link to that game price comparison website which shows real time prices.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

steve58

^Not seeing any good deals at the moment.  Your best bet is probably Greenmangaming with a 20% off voucher (20OFFM-ATTHEW-HATTON) to knock it down to ~$40.

Here is the link to the site a lot use that are price hunting:

http://isthereanydeal.com
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mikeck on March 14, 2015, 02:31:08 PM
I'm not trying to be a smart -ass but what is the big deal with unit stacking? Why would eliminating the ability to put more than one unit in a hex prevent you from playing the game?

No, you're not being a smartarse. Legitimate question.

I meant I like the one-unit-per-space rule so much in Civ V, that I couldn't go back to IV. Just a personal preference, now.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jomni

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on March 14, 2015, 04:32:32 PM
Quote from: mikeck on March 14, 2015, 02:31:08 PM
I'm not trying to be a smart -ass but what is the big deal with unit stacking? Why would eliminating the ability to put more than one unit in a hex prevent you from playing the game?

No, you're not being a smartarse. Legitimate question.

I meant I like the one-unit-per-space rule so much in Civ V, that I couldn't go back to IV. Just a personal preference, now.

No stack of doom.

mikeck

I prefer the one hex/one unit. I guess my question was directed to those who WONT play Civ 5 or beyond earth simply because there ISNT unit stacking. What is so great about stacking that a prohibition would ruin the game?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

BanzaiCat

The only stacking rule I could live with in V would be, being able to stack multiple workers in a hex to build an improvement more quickly. That's something from IV that I do miss.

MetalDog

Quote from: mikeck on March 14, 2015, 06:43:01 PM
I prefer the one hex/one unit. I guess my question was directed to those who WONT play Civ 5 or beyond earth simply because there ISNT unit stacking. What is so great about stacking that a prohibition would ruin the game?

One unit per hex allows the unit to be destroyed and leave an empty space.  Any attacks need to be made on a broad front rather than a single hex.  One unit per hex means ten v. ten battles take up twenty hexes, stack v. stack takes up two.  One unit per hex means planning your approach with less ability to adjust frontage.

I've played Warlock over 500 hours.  That is a single unit per hex game.  So, the prohibition against stacking is not something that I have a problem with as a rule.  It's the problem I have with Civ V.  The previous four iterations allowed stacks.  That's how I am used to playing Civ.  It's how I like to play Civ.  Stacks of doom and all.  So, no V for me. 
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mikeck

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson