Ordering GMT direct?

Started by Nefaro, October 20, 2014, 08:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

I've previously ordered a couple P500 pre-orders directly from GMT and they were pretty good about getting those out in decent time considering the amount they had to fulfill.

This recent October sale persuaded me to pick up a couple titles which I had been on the fence about, at a nice discount. 

But I'm starting to wonder if my order fell through some crack over there.  It's been two weeks since I placed my order and 13 days since the charge going through on my card.  But it's still listed as "Not Yet Shipped".  I sent a message through their website contact system last Thursday, but haven't received a reply.

I've chalked it up to the sale possibly backing up their shipping operation until now.. but it's been two weeks with no change in status.  I mean, they can ship a couple thousand pre-ordered games out in a day so this seems like it would be small beans in comparison.  I'm starting to think my order got Murphy'd. 

Has anyone else had such long shipping times from GMT recently?   :(

bayonetbrant

they got slammed during the sale and I've heard a lot of people note that it's taking a while
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

I also heard they were at (or holding) a game con and were holding off shipping until that was over..... some really pissed people on BGG about that.....  :buck2:

Cyrano

Yep, I hit 'em up for two games in the P500 sale -- plus my P500 for C&C:N came due -- and my order took the better part of two weeks to ship.

My only significant objection was that my credit card got charged long before that.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

ArizonaTank

I am pretty unhappy with GMT charging me well before the game ships.  P500s have been taking a month from the time my card is charged. 

The sale had me jazzed at first, so I ordered my limit....but the excitement is gone...still waiting for them to ship. 

Even at 50% discount, the price with shipping from GMT is about the same as what I can get at CoolStuff if I order over $100 with free shipping.  And if I had ordered from CoolStuff, I would be happily clipping my counters already.

Given that, unless GMT ships faster, and / or brings the card charge close to the ship date, I will probably not participate in another sale.

But I will probably reluctantly continue to support P500.  Only because I really want them to publish Eagle of Lille (470 almost there)....

At least GMT don't charge for pre-orders at the moment you put them on order, like other companies.  Those pre-order programs I will never participate in.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Nefaro

Quote from: Barthheart on October 20, 2014, 08:16:52 PM
I also heard they were at (or holding) a game con and were holding off shipping until that was over..... some really pissed people on BGG about that.....  :buck2:

That's some bad planning.  Put up a sale and leave for a long stretch of time?  *facepalm*

I was trying to be patient but it's now getting a bit ridiculous.  Not sure if this happens somewhat regularly, but I'll probably revert back to picking their stuff up 3rd Party again, such as from CoolStuff as ArizonaTank mentioned, because the service is far better.

I have bigger things to worry about.  So when I pay for something that's currently available and in-stock, I prefer it gets sent to me in reasonable.  Even a reply to my inquiry would be nice.   :knuppel2:  This just makes me cringe when I wonder how much I'd have to pester them if a component was ever missing, and other such possible service issues.

Nefaro

Guess I lit a fire with yesterday's email.   Got shipping notification emailed to me today.  Not something I should need to do but I suppose it worked.

So hopefully you guys will start getting your goods finally shipped too.  If not - light them fires. 

Cyrano

Mine came in yesterday's mail.  Strangely, no packing slip.

And "Thunder Alley" comes in a much bigger box than I figured would be the case...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Barthheart

Quote from: Cyrano on October 23, 2014, 02:25:11 PM
Mine came in yesterday's mail.  Strangely, no packing slip.

And "Thunder Alley" comes in a much bigger box than I figured would be the case...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"

Let us know what you think of Thunder Alley.... I'm kinda curious about that one.... even though I prefer F1 style of racing.

bayonetbrant

I have yet to meet someone who doesn't like it

and if you bring it to Origins next year with you, I'll introduce you to the designer and you can have him autograph it for you :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Cyrano

I noted the strong Columbus connection to the game.

It's interesting that the game is based on a team of cars rather than an individual car.

There are two brilliant NASCAR games out there, in my opinion:  Daytona 500 and McGartlin's Stock Car Championship.  I got a huge stock of the latter -- including an autographed collector's edition and a ton of track decks -- when I contacted the designer years ago and he pulled some remainders out of his garage.  Curious to see if this joins such illustrious company.

I'll say that the production values on "Thunder Alley" are very high.  And, although I haven't yet played, I'm pleased that many of the car-to-car interactions are diceless, i.e., you, in most cases, simply shove people out of the way, rather than going through a tedious series of die rolls.

And, for Barth, they've got an F1 iteration up on P500!

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"

Barthheart

Quote from: Cyrano on October 23, 2014, 02:51:45 PM
And, for Barth, they've got an F1 iteration up on P500!

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"

SQUEEEEEEEEEE!  :D

ArizonaTank

Still waiting...got confirmation from GMT that I will be waiting some more. 

Based on this I can not recommend direct buys from them unless you are willing to wait three weeks or more for them to ship your order.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bayonetbrant

part of the problem is that you ordered right when their fall sale was going on, and they have about four times the normal amount of orders in

Nefaro

Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 01, 2014, 11:06:14 AM
Still waiting...got confirmation from GMT that I will be waiting some more. 

Based on this I can not recommend direct buys from them unless you are willing to wait three weeks or more for them to ship your order.

Holy testicle Tuesdays Batman!

I thought my wait was bad.  :-[