Solo print and play wargames

Started by TacticalWargames, October 18, 2014, 06:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Nice find!

Here's his site:  http://www.berserkergames.net/

The solo air combat games look like fun.  Plus there is WW1, Korea, and Vietnam versions. 

I've never did print & play stuff either.  Figured I'd end up spending more money on supplies to do so, which would be a pain.  But these are very tempting.   8)

I still have yet to play Bloody April but for WW1 air combat, but I prefer late 1917 and 1918 when aircraft technology and armaments were at their pinnacle and a bit more technologically even than the earlier leapfrogging (as in Bloody April).   Looks like Aces Of Valor has the late stuff.  :)

Double Deuce

Those look good. I might need to get a couple of those.

Nefaro

I just purchased his Thud Ridge print & play game.  I'm a sucker for thematic solitaire games.  I've found that they're like my own version of calming meditation.  8)

Good thing I picked up some more color ink not long ago, I'll probably need it.

If this one proves an enjoyable solitaire experience, I'll likely pick up Aces Of Valor too. 

Some of his other stuff looks interesting, but the artwork for ground forces looks pretty rough.  The aircraft ones don't look horrible but the soldiers for the other topics .. woah.  The systems are definitely intriguing though.  I wish there were some examples of play and some shots of them in action.  At some point I may jump in and grab one of the Ancient/Medieval titles but I've not seen much info about the nuts & bolts. 

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on October 29, 2014, 03:39:52 PM
I just purchased his Thud Ridge print & play game.  I'm a sucker for thematic solitaire games.  I've found that they're like my own version of calming meditation.  8)

If this one proves an enjoyable solitaire experience, I'll likely pick up Aces Of Valor too. 

Some of his other stuff looks interesting, but the artwork for ground forces looks pretty rough.  The aircraft ones don't look horrible but the soldiers for the other topics .. woah.  The systems are definitely intriguing though.  I wish there were some examples of play and some shots of them in action.  At some point I may jump in and grab one of the Ancient/Medieval titles but I've not seen much info about the nuts & bolts.

Give us the Intel on the game.....

PE

Nefaro

Quote from: PanzersEast on October 29, 2014, 05:07:28 PM

PE

After reading the ~7 pages of rules, the mechanics strike me as being rather similar to Patton's Best albeit in a much lighter version and maybe a dash of Bloody April and the Hornet Leader series.

You'll pretty much be deciding where to move your strike package across the hex map, bearing in mind that you have limited Loiter time, but some hexes have much higher concentrations of AAA and/or SAMs along with some variances depending on terrain features.  Cities, airfields, etc obviously give higher chances of being attacked that turn too.

There is a small deck of cards you draw two cards from to determine your primary and secondary targets for each mission, with the defenses and VP info on them.  The map covers a wide area around Hanoi and Haiphong.  Decision making will come in the form of which hex to move to each turn, what weapons to expend/jettison in given situations, and whether to save up for attacking your secondary target (including trying to squeeze in an extra turn or two in the hopes you can get to a tanker hex on the return trip).  As I said, the decisions are similar to a "Lite" Patton's Best (ammo firing, some movement in regards to threats) in the air.

There is a lot of dice rolling involved, with a mix of Dice Pools (some here like to call it "Bucket O' Dice")best used for multiple "hits" being rolled at once and straightforward d6 or 2d6 rolls.  Thankfully there aren't big lists of DRMs, just a very few modifiers listed on counters or target cards, so there should be as much or more time spent rolling dice as doing math.  Combat consists of RHMs fired by Phantoms first, then the order of dogfight attacks delineated by aircraft type is determined (modified by your highest EW aircraft modifier).  So you may get MiG-21s getting in the first shot, followed by Phantoms, followed by F-105s & Wild Weasels, or a similar combination of order.  That's how much of the "AI" targeting is determined - randomly by type.  In the actual dogfight, each attacker will roll to see if he can maneuver into firing position against his target in an opposed roll with the actual attacks and damage being rolled afterward.  A bit like a heavily trimmed down Bloody April roll-roll-roll-roll system although you do it for each individual aircraft.

While the rules are pretty straightforward and easily understandable for those of us familiar with the hobby, it could use a bit of proofreading.  The only big issue in this regard is the missing pilot air-to-air ability and experience modifiers being factored into the air combat.  While they're mentioned in the beginning of the rules, where it explains some of the printing on the counters, it is mentioned nowhere else.  I'm sure this is an oversight, and an easy one to see for yourself.  I'll probably just use those in the 'Maneuver For Position' opposed rolls in combat.  I should email the creator and let him know those were overlooked. 

While it could definitely use an artwork facelift, I think it may be a good substitute for other table & dice roll heavy solitaire games of the kind.  It would certainly be faster & easier to pick up and play without too much rules fuss.  I'm not sure about it's longevity as there are only some varied Target cards and a two-part Events table to roll on during each mission.  I'll have to see how the hex map movement situation varies between missions, but the air defense on the map will always be in the same hexes.  Weaving through the same hexes with light air defenses, from certain start points, will probably be similar.  Yet the hex map movement is probably the most notable part of the game.

I'll have to play a campaign sometime soon, after getting everything cut out and taped, before I can rate it for fun factor.  It seems like it could be a good candidate for a decent-sized "baggie" game from someone like Victory Point Games, after adding some decent artwork and a bit of extra spicing and/or tweaking.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on October 29, 2014, 10:50:01 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on October 29, 2014, 05:07:28 PM

PE

After reading the ~7 pages of rules, the mechanics strike me as being rather similar to Patton's Best albeit in a much lighter version and maybe a dash of Bloody April and the Hornet Leader series.

You'll pretty much be deciding where to move your strike package across the hex map, bearing in mind that you have limited Loiter time, but some hexes have much higher concentrations of AAA and/or SAMs along with some variances depending on terrain features.  Cities, airfields, etc obviously give higher chances of being attacked that turn too.

There is a small deck of cards you draw two cards from to determine your primary and secondary targets for each mission, with the defenses and VP info on them.  The map covers a wide area around Hanoi and Haiphong.  Decision making will come in the form of which hex to move to each turn, what weapons to expend/jettison in given situations, and whether to save up for attacking your secondary target (including trying to squeeze in an extra turn or two in the hopes you can get to a tanker hex on the return trip).  As I said, the decisions are similar to a "Lite" Patton's Best (ammo firing, some movement in regards to threats) in the air.

There is a lot of dice rolling involved, with a mix of Dice Pools (some here like to call it "Bucket O' Dice")best used for multiple "hits" being rolled at once and straightforward d6 or 2d6 rolls.  Thankfully there aren't big lists of DRMs, just a very few modifiers listed on counters or target cards, so there should be as much or more time spent rolling dice as doing math.  Combat consists of RHMs fired by Phantoms first, then the order of dogfight attacks delineated by aircraft type is determined (modified by your highest EW aircraft modifier).  So you may get MiG-21s getting in the first shot, followed by Phantoms, followed by F-105s & Wild Weasels, or a similar combination of order.  That's how much of the "AI" targeting is determined - randomly by type.  In the actual dogfight, each attacker will roll to see if he can maneuver into firing position against his target in an opposed roll with the actual attacks and damage being rolled afterward.  A bit like a heavily trimmed down Bloody April roll-roll-roll-roll system although you do it for each individual aircraft.

While the rules are pretty straightforward and easily understandable for those of us familiar with the hobby, it could use a bit of proofreading.  The only big issue in this regard is the missing pilot air-to-air ability and experience modifiers being factored into the air combat.  While they're mentioned in the beginning of the rules, where it explains some of the printing on the counters, it is mentioned nowhere else.  I'm sure this is an oversight, and an easy one to see for yourself.  I'll probably just use those in the 'Maneuver For Position' opposed rolls in combat.  I should email the creator and let him know those were overlooked. 

While it could definitely use an artwork facelift, I think it may be a good substitute for other table & dice roll heavy solitaire games of the kind.  It would certainly be faster & easier to pick up and play without too much rules fuss.  I'm not sure about it's longevity as there are only some varied Target cards and a two-part Events table to roll on during each mission.  I'll have to see how the hex map movement situation varies between missions, but the air defense on the map will always be in the same hexes.  Weaving through the same hexes with light air defenses, from certain start points, will probably be similar.  Yet the hex map movement is probably the most notable part of the game.

I'll have to play a campaign sometime soon, after getting everything cut out and taped, before I can rate it for fun factor.  It seems like it could be a good candidate for a decent-sized "baggie" game from someone like Victory Point Games, after adding some decent artwork and a bit of extra spicing and/or tweaking.

I'm looking at redoing all of the counters to something a little more aesthetically pleasing....  this is just my first mock up....

PE

Nefaro

Quote from: PanzersEast on November 17, 2014, 03:51:21 PM

I'm looking at redoing all of the counters to something a little more aesthetically pleasing....  this is just my first mock up....

PE

That's already 1000% better.

PanzersEast

Here is the mock up so far... I'm still trying to tweak some things, but I will keep the format as I have them.

Barthheart

Those look really great. Well done.  O0

Maybe have the enemy facing the other direction....

PanzersEast

Quote from: Barthheart on November 18, 2014, 10:04:18 AM
Those look really great. Well done.  O0

Maybe have the enemy facing the other direction....

Good idea  O0

PE

Barthheart

Cool. I don`t have the game but might have to pick it up now.

Is the first symbol on the bottom right for MG`s ? I asked because the early F-4 had no MG`s...

PanzersEast

I have asked permission from the Designer to publish on BGG once I am finished.  If he allows it then I will post, if he declines... then I may share for personal use only to some of you I trust on Grogs.  I have made my own updated counters in the past, but since this is a PnP I thought I would share.  I may also look at redoing the map as well... but wanted to get the counters updated first.

Here are the originals:

Here are the ones I have reworked:

PE

Barthheart

PanzersEast

They also have a B-17 Campaign.... just did a mock up of the B-17, have not purchased yet but was just looking at it so I reworked the B-17 and P-51 counters for a quick test.

PE