Wasteland 2 on Steam

Started by Rayfer, September 19, 2014, 12:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacticalWargames

The game is old school hard..having trouble at the AG center.

JD you talking about the first place you go to?

There are only two caves mate.

One with a Frog in and one with a Statue in.

Apocalypse 31

I started playing this at 10am. I just looked at my clock, and it's now 4:30pm....

Not too bad, my only gripe is that there seems to be a lack of focus or an overall goal. There's a lot going on in game, and I'm at a point where I'm not sure what what I should be doing.

Other things:

I recruited a 5th squad member - Angela Death - located at the citadel. Very useful, good stats but will sometimes go berzerk in combat.

Why doesn't Ranger Base have an infirmary where I can get healed? High pool has a hospital, but not our own base?

Shotguns are awful

Im avoiding fighting mutants/bugs/reptiles at all costs. They don't drop anything useful. Also, why don't the humans enemies drop anything useful? They never drop their weapons or ammo. What happens to weapons? They just vanish. Also seems that ai has unlimited ammo - I could be wrong

The custom character setup can be overwhelming, but I may restart just to build a more versatile team. The stock characters are kind of limited.

Don't fire the Davey Crockett

panzerde

Enjoying this quite a bit so far. It feels very traditional RPG. Combat is nicely tactical and rewards using the right weapons system to do the right thing. I'm still early in the story but what I've found so far is interesting and engaging. One thing I'm not thrilled with is that every time while traveling that I've run into a random encounter with raiders it's been on the same map. Needs some variety there.

Camera control isn't as flexible as I'd like. I wish I could tilt the camera on my own, but I can work with it. Overall I like the art so far.

It reminds me of playing Gamma World back in the '80s...
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

BanzaiCat

Dayum, Gamma World...loved that back in the day.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: panzerde on September 20, 2014, 06:09:00 PM
Enjoying this quite a bit so far. It feels very traditional RPG. Combat is nicely tactical and rewards using the right weapons system to do the right thing. I'm still early in the story but what I've found so far is interesting and engaging. One thing I'm not thrilled with is that every time while traveling that I've run into a random encounter with raiders it's been on the same map. Needs some variety there.

Camera control isn't as flexible as I'd like. I wish I could tilt the camera on my own, but I can work with it. Overall I like the art so far.

It reminds me of playing Gamma World back in the '80s...
During my travels I've ran into raiders and both times it's been the same map. I was hoping that was because they were roughly the same area
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I've just ran into more random raiders and they were on a different map to the previous two encounters  :)
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Where the hell am I meant to get ammo?
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

I ended my drought of not buying games for awhile and picked this one up....haven't much time in it yet, but certainly seems like it can be complex, even the character creation.  But that is Ok, something to try and master with time......even the first fight took its toll on my party, gotta get better at matching skills/weapons to the situation.

panzerde

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 21, 2014, 01:21:00 AM

So far I've picked up all my ammo from chests. I've yet to see enemies drop gear. One thing that wasn't clear to me for quite awhile - the skill for disarming traps is demolition. There is not overt "disarm traps" skill.

JD - glad to hear you found raiders on a different map. The gods of the random die roll must just have not been on the job for me. I did have a random encounter on another map, but it was with animals.

Stayed up until almost 2AM this morning clearing the Ag Center. I haven't done that sort of thing in ages.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Kushan

I was so low on ammo after the Radio tower that I went back to the Citadel and bought some. Not that I was able afford a lot of it. Think I may restart and rework my team to have some melee abilities.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Tpek

You can rotate the camera with the Q and E keys.
As for how much to zoom, I've never found any trouble with the zoom levels.

JudgeDredd

Thanks but I know how to operate the camera - I just find I want Combat Mission like control over it. But as I've said, I've found, of the few RPG tactical games I've tried, they have limited camera movement for some bizarre reason.

TacticalWargames - I was a bit stuck so looked for assistance on the web and it definitely stated 3 caves...I found two of them but the third was not where it was meant to be. I gave up in the end.

I keep finding I'm wasting ammo on things like roots on doors to allow access. I know what does it now, but I never knew before. It'd be handy if the mouseover told you your weapon would have no effect on the target.

Maybe I'm just spoilt - but I was hoping for more loot and DEFINITELY more ammo. I doubt very much I'm going to be able to clear the AG Centre through lack of ammo. Perhaps if I paid more attention to skills and types of weapon and ranges I'd be a bit better. I killed one of my squad with a pipe bomb. It was a case of having to really. The "enemy" had put themselves in such a position around him that ANY shooting at the enemy would have resulted in him receiving multiple hits. On the plus side, I did manage to get rid of 6 enemy...which would've cost me a lot in med kits overall - and the guy would probably still have died.

I'm fumbling around a bit. I don't actually know what I'm meant to do most of the time. There's a couple of corridors with some "infectious" gas which if I switch on the extraction/fan system would clear, but I'm pretty sure I've mouse'd over just about everything and couldn't find anything to "switch on".

So I have some minor gripes (my fumbling about aside) with it just now...but overall a very positive playing experience.
Alba gu' brath

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: Kushan on September 21, 2014, 11:13:17 AM

I was so low on ammo after the Radio tower that I went back to the Citadel and bought some. Not that I was able afford a lot of it. Think I may restart and rework my team to have some melee abilities.

There's a real scarcity of both ammo and medical supplies. In the early stages you can't really afford to buyout the stocks of the merchants NPCs, and in this game ammo goes away fast. In my opinion, it does indeed fit the setting - I can't really imagine that 150 years after the bombs fell you can expect to find ammo stores in Walmart sitting on their shelves waiting for you to plunder them. As Kushan says, it is a good idea that every character in the party has as a secondary ability bladed weapons or unarmed combat skills. You might find yourself running out of ammo in the middle of the thick of it, especially if combat is at long ranges (100% hit chance is rare unless you are on higher ground than the target) or you're profligate with firepower (burst fire mode sometimes is necessary to stop cold some of the very nasty NPCs, but it really burns quick through your ammo). Having to manage little crisis like running out of ammo for my snipers - happened to me already two or three times - or rushing to avoid a character to bleed out make games memorable (you had this in JA2, and that's one of the reasons I find that game especially memorable).

Resorting to hand-to-hand combat doesn't feel to be "forced" on the game - it is an integral part of it. Most long fire arms have a minimum range, and in maps where combat happens at close range, charging at your enemies is a very viable tactic (the AI also uses it to great effect).

Answering to the queries regarding how the models of the characters change regarding to equipment. There's a good degree of customization, but it's not like there's a specific 3D model for every single piece of clothing or weaponry. For instance, you can distinguish helmets from cowboy hats, and rifles from hand guns. But you can't tell apart the ".38 Midnight Special" from the generic ".38 Revolver".

Nefaro

There's a lot of story in this and my initial impressions are good.  Just getting into rescuing Ag Center people and all is going well.  With ammo to spare, probably because most of my characters took one gun and one melee skills from the start (and are therefore armed with both). 

I have also been steadily looting ammo & medpacks along the way after getting two levels each in Lockpicking and Safecracking.  Added some Perception (or is it Awareness?) and Demolitions after first level-up to disarm traps on them too.

It's the same style of narrative-oriented RPG as Shadowrun Returns although it probably has more gameplay than any one of the two campaigns in that.  More depth too, since it's a full-on PC RPG.  The interface reminds me of Fallout.

Nefaro

Anyway.. my priority starting non-weapon skills in the party:

Field Medic
Surgeon
Lockpicking
Safecracking
Hardass or Kiss Ass or Wise Ass or a combination of two.

(And keep raising these up as you go)

Get at start or soon:

Perception
Demolitions
Weaponsmithing
Computer Science

Outdoorsman?
Brute Force?

You can get extra NPCs to join your party that are pretty good in a couple skills along the way so you can fill some holes here & there.  Not sure how long they stick around but I'm guessing they don't stay the whole game.