Wasteland 2 on Steam

Started by Rayfer, September 19, 2014, 12:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

I see this is available now on Steam for $39.99 ($59.99 deluxe). Anyone been playing this when it was early access? Any feedback to share?  Thanks.

tgb

I haven't played it (downloading now) but everything I've read about it indicates it's excellent.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: tgb on September 19, 2014, 12:59:22 PM
I haven't played it (downloading now) but everything I've read about it indicates it's excellent.

Excellent? Positive, yes, but I've definitely seen critiques. Most commercial reviews place it firmly in the 80-85 out of 100 zone.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

tgb

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

tgb

Rayfer

Kushan

Given al the hype about Divinity a few months back, I'm surprised Wasteland has flown under the radar around here.

I played some of the beta. I intentionally cut myself of from playing further because I could feel myself getting sucked into it and I didn't want to ruin the full game. I really enjoyed what I did play. I'm really curious to see if there really is as many choices and content as they claim there is. It a lot of ways it feels like open world XCOM. Even though combat generally plays out the same I never got bored with them. I don;t think it has the option to bow up random scenery like Divinity. But I think Divinity has too much clutter (oh look another poison/fire/water barrel to blow up)

There are still some quirks though. You can have fire and miss a target that is literally standing next to you and I did have the occasional instance of 3-4 enemies surrounding one of my guys and beating on him. I do wish the game had a stealth mechanic. There are a few fights I encountered where I wish I had been able to sneak into a better position.

All in all I really enjoyed the beta. I can definitely see myself getting hooked on this in a way Divinity doesn't.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: Kushan on September 19, 2014, 02:26:21 PM
All in all I really enjoyed the beta. I can definitely see myself getting hooked on this in a way Divinity doesn't.
How would you rate the production values?  I've read that your character appearance doesn't change based on what armor you equipped - tell me at least it changes based the weapon.  I'm obviously more concerned about gameplay, but I'm trying to decide if I should pick this up now or wait a bit for a price drop. 

Also, I've already got a huge backlog, including Japan's first turn in WITPAE. That could keep one busy for a year alone :)

BanzaiCat

Yeah, I reeeeeally want W2, but I can wait. Lots on the plate already. And besides, it'll go on sale eventually.  :coolsmiley:

Gusington

^I'm with you. I have a big backlog that I've been making good progress on. But I loved Wasteland on the C64 when I was 14 so...I pretty much must buy this at some point. Just not right now.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

panzerde

I was just driving by Steam and it fell right into my cart. Didn't even realize it was there until it started downloading. I swear.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres