Blitzkrieg Anthology Released on Steam

Started by Apocalypse 31, September 16, 2014, 01:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apocalypse 31

My goodness, this game sucked up hundreds of hours in gameplay. Absolutely loved it, and it was a staple on my hard drive for a very long time.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/313480/?snr=1_4_4__tab-NewReleasesFilteredDLC

Easily one of the best WW2 RTS to ever exist.

Steam has also released Blitzkrieg II Anthology, although I didn't enjoy it as much as the original.

Jarhead0331

I always found these games impossibly difficult. Units just get slaughtered by the dozens and I could never get the hang of effective control. So while I'm struggling to micromanage my units on one side of the map, my units on the other side are getting butchered.

Still, a great game in concept.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bbmike

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 16, 2014, 01:52:09 PM
I always found these games impossibly difficult. Units just get slaughtered by the dozens and I could never get the hang of effective control. So while I'm struggling to micromanage my units on one side of the map, my units on the other side are getting butchered.

You just described the problem I have with just about all real-time strategy games.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

DoctorQuest

Quote from: bbmike on September 16, 2014, 02:05:55 PM

You just described the problem I have with just about all real-time strategy games.

Me, too :) I picked this up on gog and it's a great looking game but I consistently get my butt kicked.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

-budd-

Just one question..... Is there a pause button.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

bobarossa

Quote from: -budd- on September 16, 2014, 04:46:48 PM
Just one question..... Is there a pause button.
The Blitzkrieg manual says there is a pause button and you can issue orders while paused.  I bought the anthology during the GOG sale but haven't tried it yet (way too many games). 

Tuna

I loved it!.. I too got many hours of play out of it.. One of those games where you could upgrade as you go along!.. Fun for MP too!

Sparhawk

I loved those games. The only way I can play rts is with a pause button and it got well used. One nice feature of the game was being able to speed up or slow down time depending on the ebb and flow of battle. Use the concept of "combined arms" for most success as your individual types of units will get slaughtered  without backup from other types.

BanzaiCat

Ha, my mouse pad for the last 11 years is a Blitzkrieg-themed one (I worked with CDV as a freelancer way back when).

Thanks for the heads up, I added it to my cart. Wonder how long the sale is good for.

jomni

I remember just blasting away everything with artillery.

Good memories.  I think I'll buy it. $5 is nothing much.

Tuna

Quote from: jomni on September 16, 2014, 08:59:13 PM
I remember just blasting away everything with artillery.

Good memories.  I think I'll buy it. $5 is nothing much.

Yep, you'd use your sniper to scope them out, just out of view of your main forces, and drop all the Arty on them!

lol.. really stunk when all your snipers got killed if you weren't paying attention!.. I think officers could see a lil further ahead too..

jomni

OMG!  Just started playing this again. Gameplay is really great and satisfying.
Nevermind the old graphics, they are still acceptable and easy on the eyes.
Despite the RTS chaos, going slow and steady is the key. 
Scouting -> probing -> bombarding -> securing -> reinforcing.  Rinse and repeat.
Only problem is when your key units are knocked out, you can't get them back any more during the mission.

chemkid

it's these kind of games that make me forget my sorrow. the graphics just make my day and my system keeps wanting more and more!!
thanks for the reminder - what a great game!!

cheers!
chem!

Grim.Reaper

Pretty much my same problem with this game and other RTS games....they just get way out of control too fast for me....