Destiny! Who's waiting for theirs?!

Started by MetalDog, September 04, 2014, 10:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Weird.  I clicked on the 'watch on youtube' button and got the same message.  But I watched the trailer from another youtube poster.  Nice music selection I might add.  Led Zep!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Tpek

Still waiting for my pre-ordered physical copy to arrive.  :buck2:

BanzaiCat

Never even heard of this game until this morning when the local news did a spot on it. The biggest surprise was them saying it cost $500M to develop. I thought either they screwed up their facts or I just didn't hear it right.

W8taminute

I got my copy but haven't had a chance to sit down and play it yet.  When I do I shall be posting my initial impressions here.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Tpek

My copy has yet to ship... ugh.
I already regret making a physical pre-order.

Jarhead0331

I've got it. Played for like 20 minutes this morning. Will play more tonight. Its awesome, but if you were in on the alpha or beta, its more of the same so far.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

BanzaiCat

Since I am lazy and most sites pretty much report it as being Jesus Christ's joystick reincarnated, I'd be interested in reading anyone's thoughts on it here. Keep in mind I have zero idea what it is other than some kind of sci-fi thing.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

W8taminute

Played the first two missions of the story last night.  I too was on the alpha and beta teams and so a lot of this is merely replaying what I've already seen in alpha and beta.  Everything so far is bug free and looking forward to getting into the meat of the game. 

BC basically you're this dead guy who get's reincarnated thanks to modern technology.  Now you'd think that one would be happy to be alive again in the future with all this wonderful technology to play with but you soon find out that you were chosen to be revived to become a 'Guardian'.  A Guardian is someone trained to protect the earth from 'The Darkness' which seeks to envelope the galaxy.  Think of it as kind of like the 'Reapers' in the Mass Effect series.  Unlike the Reapers however The Darkness is made out of creatures of flesh and blood.  Their bodies sure do gush blood when you pump a few rounds into them!  LOL

Ahem, anyway, I like the premise of the story so far and for me the excitement will really take off after I progress to the point where I can fly off of the earth and explore the galaxy looking for bad guys to kill or just completing side quests at my leisure. 

BanzaiCat

^ Huh. Interesting. But that doesn't sound terribly original. In fact it sounds pretty darn near Mass Effect.

Tpek

Finally got my copy today!  O0
Going to try it out soon.

Jarhead0331

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far.  It has feels like a cross between Halo and Borderlands.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grimnirsson

QuoteIt has feels like a cross between Halo and Borderlands.

I just can't see why some compare Destiny to Borderlands...Borderlands is a real shoot and loot game, a real blend of RPG and shooter, Destiny is paper thin on the class leveling surface and neither has the deep loot drop, the gazillion guns nor the freaky humor Borderlands has.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 18, 2014, 12:55:30 PM
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far.  It has feels like a cross between Halo and Borderlands.

TBH, I can't get the hang of using a controller for a shooter.
I just seem to suck at the game because of this.
I keep having to take a few pot shots (and hopefully hit anything) and hope I can duck quickly enough to regenerate my health and reload.

Is there a way to connect a keyboard&mouse to the PS4 and play using them?  :buck2:

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grimnirsson on September 18, 2014, 01:10:25 PM
QuoteIt has feels like a cross between Halo and Borderlands.

I just can't see why some compare Destiny to Borderlands...Borderlands is a real shoot and loot game, a real blend of RPG and shooter, Destiny is paper thin on the class leveling surface and neither has the deep loot drop, the gazillion guns nor the freaky humor Borderlands has.

I disagree. I think there are a lot of different guns, perhaps not more than in Borderlands, but certainly more than any other shooter. In Destiny you have hand cannons, fusion rifles, plasma rifles, assault rifles, scout rifles, heavy machine guns, rocket launchers, sniper rifles, etc. and within those classes, dozens of different models, some of which cause basic kinetic damage, fire damage, psi damage, etc. and all of which can be leveled up and modified themselves.  Moreover, Destiny, like Borderlands has multiple classes and a strong perk and level up system. I'm not really sure why you believe they are so beyond comparison.  Perhaps you need to play more Destiny? 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog