Main Menu

Contagion

Started by RooksBailey, August 30, 2014, 01:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RooksBailey

So I saw that Steam added Contagion to my library as one of those free weekend dealies.  I didn't recall anything about this game, so I went to the store page and saw that it was yet another zombie survival shooter.  Yawn.  However, I started reading the feature set and it did sound kinda interesting:

QuoteDynamic Gameplay
- Each play through is never the same with our built-in randomization system that changes the game/round each time you play!
State Of The Art Gore
- Our advanced gibbing system will immerse you into the game with limbs and organs being blown or hacked off!
Immersive Sound Effects
- Realistic ambient and sound effects that instantly draw you into the games dark apocalyptic atmosphere!
Traditional Zombies
- Slow moving undead that can only be truly laid to rest with a bullet to the brain or enough wasted lead in their body wasting away the ability to function.
Extensive Survival Equipment
- Over 28 vital pieces of equipment from a large selection of firearms, melee weapons, don't forget explosives, support items, tools, and much more to be added!
Unique Game Modes
- Choose from a multitude of classic and new game-modes that require co-op and survival skills in which you escape, extract civilians or hunt each other! Not to mention our Panic modes, upcoming Flatline (Survival) mode and more!
Stop paying more
- We will be releasing new content and 2 DLC Bundles in 2014... For Free! This was decided in 2010. Once you own Contagion you will never have to pay for updates or DLC bundles we develop for it... Ever.

That part about random environments caught my attention.   :)  One of the things I don't like about L4D is how once you know the map, you can bull on through.  Now, I don't know if this game has true randomized environments - I mean randomized enough to make a difference - but I like the suggestion.  And the rest of the feature list seemed pretty good. 

So I figured I might as well give it an install and check it out. 

Now, to be fair, I only have logged 34 minutes - one game playing solo, and one in a MP match - but I have to say that I am impressed (which is why I ran here to sound the alarm ASAP!  ;D ).  The visuals are really quite excellent - the lighting and atmospheric effects (rain/sound) is startlingly well executed.  The gunplay is also nicely handled - being forced to go for headshots (in proper zombie fashion) makes this game more than a spray and pray.  The diversity of weapons seems quite nice - starting with a pistol and working your way up through SMGs and shottys really changes up the gameplay.  The scarcity of ammo acts as a nice limiter, too.  Again, haven't seen enough maps to comment on the randomization factor, but the maps seem quite large and explorable.  I like how you can enter different buildings to search for gear and supplies, with zombies wandering in from time to time to make you jump quite a bit.

Speaking of which, the SP mode is called "escape" and seems like it has some real potential.  You start on the map and get cell phone updates on what you need to do and where.  I have to be honest: going out on one of these missions alone was a real creepy experience.  Like I wrote above, the lighting effects are excellent, so having to go through a truly dark building with little more than a flashlight (if you can find one), or your cell phone light is not a pleasant experience.   :o  I jumped more than once!  I never did make it to my first destination - I was playing on a large city map and got lost.  Wound up walking into a warehouse (I cut the chains on the locked doors with a bolt-cutter!) and found myself surrounded by lots of zombies, one of which was a SWAT guy - so my shotty did little against his armor.  They mobbed me and killed me (you are very fragile in this game, and I think there is a chance of getting infected, too). 

Then I jumped into a co-op game and died within a few seconds.  LOL!  I spawned away from the other players and wound up being caught by a pack of zombies that broke threw a door that I was walking past.  Good news: you get to spawn as a zombie then!   :buck2:  I hunted down three players! 

Again, just 34 minutes into the game, so I don't want to oversell this title, but I definitely think this game is worth checking out.  It is currently on sale for $5.  Definitely seems like it is worth it. 

Vid:

"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway