Main Menu

After Cunaxa

Started by MengJiao, August 29, 2014, 09:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Tragically, only 2033 years after the battle of Cunaxa, on the same day (September 3) the Swedish army of Gustavus Adolphus launched a doomed
attack against the Imperial entrenchments around the old fortress known as Alte Veste:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 29, 2014, 09:15:03 PM
  Tragically, only 2033 years after the battle of Cunaxa, on the same day (September 3) the Swedish army of Gustavus Adolphus launched a doomed
attack against the Imperial entrenchments around the old fortress known as Alte Veste:

The Swedish army reaches the abatis:

bayonetbrant

Is that a continuation as a campaign game? Or is it just a chronological sequence?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

Is that one of the GMT M&P series games?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

MengJiao

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 01, 2014, 03:43:40 PM
Is that a continuation as a campaign game? Or is it just a chronological sequence?

It's basically me taking a break from Hoplite until the big re-issue of Alexander's battles comes out.

the Musket and Pike series is vaguely like the GBOH series PLUS I happened to buy a really cheap used M and P on Gustavus' battles.

Some used games are pretty cool in that you can sort of reconstruct the user's interest in the game.  The user kept everything updated
(all the errata and the rules changes), but didn't quite exactly punch anything much.  There was even some classy yellow underlining on the
terrain chart.

I didn't want to do any classic GA battles so I took Alte Veste -- wherein Wallenstein beats the tar out of the Swedes in a horrific comedy of errors (eg. Wallenstein didn't believe anyone would attack a very well entrenched position around an old castle in the woods so he took quite a while to reinforce his camp).  Then I noticed that Cunaxa and Alte Veste both happened on Sept 3 and only 2033 years apart.

For all the difference the intervening 2 millennia made -- the fight was still spears versus cavalry at some point.  Kind of odd when you think about it.

MengJiao

Quote from: bob48 on September 01, 2014, 04:33:41 PM
Is that one of the GMT M&P series games?

Yes, it's out of volume IV (the one with Gustavus Adolphus on the box lid).  I'm doing a very mutant version based on a
virtual chit pull and with other changes to make it play smooth and fast and solitaire.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on September 01, 2014, 03:20:51 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on August 29, 2014, 09:15:03 PM

The Swedish army reaches the abatis:

And Breaks it down:

bob48

I really quite like the look of GMT's M&P series games, so I downloaded the series rulebook from their site. It does look pretty complex though.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

MengJiao

Quote from: bob48 on September 07, 2014, 02:19:09 PM
I really quite like the look of GMT's M&P series games, so I downloaded the series rulebook from their site. It does look pretty complex though.

In a general way the rules are okay.  I think they work a lot better in the smaller, earlier battles such as the ones in the Saints in Armor (vol VI) game.  Its kind of odd how the VI volumes have developed:  First the ECW, where the system seems to work okay, then a bunch of games doing big complicated battles where the rules don't work all that well, I think and finally Saints in Armor where the battles are relatively small and the rules work okay, I think.
  It would be nice if the M&P period could get some rules as tight as those for Hoplite -- but the GBOH system is almost 25 years old and the M&P system is only half that age.