CMRT GROGHEAD MULTIPLAYER PLANNING THREAD

Started by Cyrano, August 25, 2014, 10:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NimglJxJ4aM&feature=youtu.be

The above is a clip from a PBEM game I'm playing against a friend.

Lovely scenario, particularly the map, but that's not the reason for the post.

It's, well, that'd be telling...

Suffice to say that you don't get a lot of that in IGOUGO.  I just can't decide for whom I feel more compassion -- the Ami or Commander Heinreich.  Neither of them can honestly be said to have covered themselves in glory...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

RooksBailey

Right in the tukus.   :)

I've always been fond of the WEGO system, too.  Really, it is the only system that makes sense in an age of spiffy graphics.  I never got the point of loading up, say, a RTS game with highly detailed graphics.  Unless there is a replay viewer, the player never gets a chance to appreciate them while actually playing!  And, needless to say, WEGO also makes it possible to appreciate all the minutia that goes on in a battle.  Simply, WEGO allows the player to fully enjoy the war movie he and his opponent created, which makes the experience all the more memorable. 

If only Wargame: ALB/DR went WEGO instead of RTS....
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

JudgeDredd

One thing that always turned me off the WEGO system was the lack of hands on...and in particular the lack of info.

For example, whenever I played WEGO, I always ended up with units sitting doing nothing for part of the minute...20 seconds, maybe 30...because I couldn't tell how long it was going to take them, given the movement order I gave them, to move that distance. So I'd set a waypoint and have the unit move fast to that point. It would get there in 20 seconds and be sitting doing nothing for the remainder.

That has been somewhat eased by
a) me playing it a bit better (not being so hands on and letting the AI do the job better)
and
b) waypoints with different orders

But I still feel I want to make the most of the minute, and I often fall short.

Maybe it's just me still trying to control too much.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Quote from: RooksBailey on August 25, 2014, 11:32:28 PM
If only Wargame: ALB/DR went WEGO instead of RTS....

they can have my second born if they make this

Boggit

I prefer the WEGO in CM, but it kills the joy when an artillery stonk lands and my guys run - yes RUN - into it, rather than hitting the dirt, and maybe crawling away. I haven't looked for that particularly in v3.0, but it sure does it in v2 or before. Otherwise, I totally cool with WEGO.

@Geek - Add EE too to your wishlist. I'm with you on the others! 8)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Cyrano

The example given above re: how men respond to stonks has indeed been a source of many "awww, c'mon" moments betwixt CM and I over the years.  The TacAI certainly isn't perfect, but I think it's done a fair job of representing reactions during incoming fire moments.  Turn-based games usually have some sort of reaction roll built in anyway which can, depending on a variety of factors cause results similar to the one decried above.

My main love in the clip is the Ami AFV that gets hit and then can't seem to decide whether to return fire or run away; at least based on the erratic rotation of the gun barrel.  That much strikes me as historically plausible.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

sandman2575

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 26, 2014, 02:25:25 AM
One thing that always turned me off the WEGO system was the lack of hands on...and in particular the lack of info.

The lack of hands-on is exactly what I really like about WEGO, at least with the CM games.  I think it serves as a necessary handicap for the player against the inevitably less capable AI.  Playing real-time vs. AI, it's just too easy to micro everything to the point that you become almost invulnerable. 

I like how WEGO simulates a certain lack of control over the tactical situation -- it actually adds to the realism, imo, since your different elements scattered across the map would not have anything approaching the 'omniscient' view you get as the player in charge of everything. So if they stand around befuddled for a bit, or don't see that Panzer IV emerging from the woods about to rip them a new one, well, I like how it adds to the drama -- even if it can be infuriating at times.

undercovergeek

ive spent hours watching wego replays from different angles, particularly satisfying when a heroic deed is committed and you can watch it over and over and then you gain an affinity for the little guy and look out for him on the next turn and follow him through the game

sandman2575

Yeah, the fact that there's no rewind option when playing realtime is reason enough for me never to play that way.  I absolutely need the rewind feature.

Cyrano

I come here not to praise CM, but to bury it...

You have both reminded me of my continued grievance that, from CM:B0 until this very day, there is no full-game reply available.

But I digress.

Jim

Sir Slash

I only play WEGO, no Real-Time on this machine. And it's totally because of the Replay Feature. Recent battle had my engineer squad crawl to 20 meters to assault a German MG bunker. After using all their grenades without effect, I then had them crawl closer to use a demo charge. The bunker defenders spotted them and shredded the squad with MG fire except for one guy-- Pvt. Cox, who manfully held his ground and tossed a demo charge on top of the bunker where it exploded without effect but to temporarily stun the defenders. Damn those Germans can build a bunker! After that Pvt. Cox fled like the rest of his squad mates but after 3 or 4 steps, he stopped, turned to face the enemy again and using his last demo charge tossed it against the front of the bunker destroying it. And then stayed around to shoot down the Germans running out the back. In Real Time I probably would've missed the whole thing. And never get to give Pvt. Cox his Medal of Digital Heroism First Class. Well done Cox. O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: sandman2575 on August 26, 2014, 09:37:51 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 26, 2014, 02:25:25 AM

The lack of hands-on is exactly what I really like about WEGO, at least with the CM games.  I think it serves as a necessary handicap for the player against the inevitably less capable AI.  Playing real-time vs. AI, it's just too easy to micro everything to the point that you become almost invulnerable. 

I like how WEGO simulates a certain lack of control over the tactical situation -- it actually adds to the realism, imo, since your different elements scattered across the map would not have anything approaching the 'omniscient' view you get as the player in charge of everything. So if they stand around befuddled for a bit, or don't see that Panzer IV emerging from the woods about to rip them a new one, well, I like how it adds to the drama -- even if it can be infuriating at times.
That is most definitely not my experience. I get absolutely slaughtered almost everytime I play this game....at least until undercovergeek mentioned letting go a bit and letting the commands do their thing.

I'm not saying the AI is superb - just I'm that bad
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I also never used the replay. The game is time consuming enough what with setting up at the start, giving orders to each and every unit and doing so every minute without spending even MORE time watching the replay and not only once...but at different parts of the battlefield.

I just do not have the desire or the inclination to watch the replays...I just don't have the time.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I'll give it another go. It's not like I play the game anyway...so maybe, just maybe changing to WEGO and sticking it out for a game or two might change my outlook on the game.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

oh man, youve no soul!!!  :P

as a man who gets ass ache riding up and down the country you must see its about the journey and not the end result - watching all those beautiful vignettes is half the game