Dragon Age: Origins question

Started by Ubercat, August 24, 2014, 08:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

I started this game a few years ago when it was new and got to a point that I couldn't get past so I gave up. Now that it's dirt cheap on Steam I bought it again and want to give it another go.

My question has to do with how you manage your characters. You end up getting alot more than you can run at a time so you have to pick and choose before each mission. Do you expert players pick a few and use them exclusively? I tried to use my guys equally, and as a result, their levels may have been too low for me to advance in the game. Should I have left some permanently at the clubhouse and focused on leveling an elite team?

Also, do you guys think I'm wasting my time on DA:O? Is there a fantastic newer RPG that I should shell out more bucks for instead?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Rayfer

I like the game and played it a lot. Characters in your camp, even if unused, still get xp and level up. You need only to put them in your party, leave camp and you can level them up. Be sure to talk with all of your party members frequently, even those in camp, and give them gifts as often as you can so that they like you more and more. This will open up quests specific to each character in which you usually have no choice but to include them in your party to complete. Be sure not to just sell everything your main party isn't using. Give items to you party members in camp so when the time comes to use them they are well equipped with armor, weapons and such.

Gusington

I loved DA:O but I also got stuck, on the final boss fight IIRC. Loved it up til that point though. Definitely one of my favorite RPGs, and I am looking forward to the new game this November.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

-budd-

if there's a better one someone let me know and i'll get it. I'm not an RPG guy but played dragon age origin from start to finish. I used 2 fighters and 2 mages for most situations with some swapping out depending on the mission. One mage specialized in destruction and the other one in healing.....got to have a good healer, especially that group heal spell. My mages also had some archery skills. There are some many ways to approach the game party wise its one of the games strengths. makes me want to load it up and have a go again, which sooner or later i will.

Is the new game like DA:O origins or the later versions, i didn't even bother with the other games.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Gusington

The claims are that the new game is more like the original, which is expected since almost no one liked the second one.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Rayfer

Quote from: Gusington on August 24, 2014, 09:27:39 PM
The claims are that the new game is more like the original, which is expected since almost no one liked the second one.

The second was indeed not as good as the first but in its own way was still fun to play...it had an interesting unfolding story that kept me going. But yes, it was a step back in the wrong direction.

mirth

DA2 was decent fun. Not nearly as epic as DA:O, but it kept me interested all the way through.

As far as character management in DA:O, once I figured out the tactics I wanted to use I tended to stick with the same 2-3 character rotation. I almost always had Morrigan in the party if she was available. Her area effect attacks, particularly those that immobilized opponents, were devastating. Morrigan also provides healing. I'd bring Leliana for the ranged attacks and rogue abilities. I played a warrior, so I was the tank.

Sometimes I'd use a Morrigan/Alistair combo. Not really because I needed another tank, but I liked the banter between them.

I didn't deviate much from those party combos after playing for a bit. I did take the others out occasionally to level them and to complete their particular quests.

Pretty much what Rayfer posted above, is how I played. Talk to everyone in camp frequently and give them appropriate gifts. Make sure they're all well equipped for when you do need them in the party.

One final thing, I didn't monkey around too much with the tactics settings. A lot of times, I'd take direct control of Morrigan and manage her AoE attacks and healing abilities. Those were most often the key abilities in a battle.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on August 25, 2014, 05:22:20 PM
As far as character management in DA:O, once I figured out the tactics I wanted to use I tended to stick with the same 2-3 character rotation. I almost always had Morrigan in the party if she was available. Her area effect attacks, particularly those that immobilized opponents, were devastating. Morrigan also provides healing. I'd bring Leliana for the ranged attacks and rogue abilities. I played a warrior, so I was the tank.

Sometimes I'd use a Morrigan/Alistair combo. Not really because I needed another tank, but I liked the banter between them.

These points.

I found Allistair and Morrigan's banter amusing but I didn't like Morrigan at all; she didn't line up well with what I wanted to play, so when I got the older lady mage I stuck with her more or less. Though I think you're railroaded with Morrigan for the final boss fight and you have to make a decision that will affect her life (or yours).

I liked to use Leliana as well, just because I was pursuing the romance options with her...though admittedly, romance in DA:O was rather funny at times, having meaningful conversations with someone covered in blood and gore and all.

Though that's part of the draw of DA:O...you can play it through with the characters you like, then start it up again later to use different options. I've never been comfortable playing mages or rogues and MUCH prefer playing a bashy tank-type. Might be interesting to start it up again and try a different character.

One final thing, I didn't monkey around too much with the tactics settings. A lot of times, I'd take direct control of Morrigan and manage her AoE attacks and healing abilities. Those were most often the key abilities in a battle.

Yeah, I never touched the tactics part of DA:O, not once. I managed them in combat directly instead. The tactics portion wasn't very intuitive or interesting to me.

mirth

Admittedly, I liked Morrigan mainly for Claudia Black's sexy voice.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on August 25, 2014, 09:04:35 PM
Admittedly, I liked Morrigan mainly for Claudia Black's sexy voice.

Oh, well, I can't disagree with you there. All the more reason to play a darker character and try to hit on Morrigan...haven't tried that approach yet.

Rayfer

A couple of posts above comment about not using the tactics settings for each character.  I found them most helpful and used them quite a bit.  For example, I would set the healer to heal my character if my hit points went under 50%....in the heat of a big battle it is easy to lose sight of the need to heal.  There were many other useful settings in the tactics as well.

mirth

Quote from: Rayfer on August 26, 2014, 09:56:26 AM
A couple of posts above comment about not using the tactics settings for each character.  I found them most helpful and used them quite a bit.  For example, I would set the healer to heal my character if my hit points went under 50%....in the heat of a big battle it is easy to lose sight of the need to heal.  There were many other useful settings in the tactics as well.

I might have tweaked the healing settings and a couple others a bit. I mostly stuck with the presets. On normal difficulty, I didn't find a need to alter those too much. There were a few boss fights I had to run through 2-3 times, but that was the exception not the rule. I'm sure I could have improved the AI tactics if I had made more of an effort. There are plenty of options to play around with.

BanzaiCat

Maybe I'll play it again in the future and try out the tactics options, but I finished the game never having touched them. I much prefer to just keep an eye on everything and pause/redirect/perform actions as needed. Maybe I'm just too anal and controlling for my own good.

I think there were two fights I had trouble with - the first boss/minotaur dude in the tower, and then the Wizard's Tower I recall gave me fits.

mirth

Crap. Now I want to break it out and give it another play. Last time it took me about 6 months to make it through everything with all the added DLC.

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 26, 2014, 12:00:35 PM
I think there were two fights I had trouble with - the first boss/minotaur dude in the tower, and then the Wizard's Tower I recall gave me fits.

Funny, the boss fight in the tower was one I had trouble with also.