I withdraw my support for RPS and eat a large slice of humble pie

Started by Huw the Poo, August 23, 2014, 03:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Hello.

I'm visiting relatives and on my phone so must be very brief, but I wanted it to be known as soon as possible that I no longer rate Rock Paper Shotgun as a gaming website with any integrity in light of recent events.

I'm not trying to be a drama queen or anything, but I have argued quite vehemently, here, in defense of RPS several times in the past and I just want to demonstrate that I have more integrity than those I've spoken in favour of.

That will have to be all for now.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 23, 2014, 03:20:01 PM
Hello.

I'm visiting relatives and on my phone so must be very brief, but I wanted it to be known as soon as possible that I no longer rate Rock Paper Shotgun as a gaming website with any integrity in light of recent events.

I'm not trying to be a drama queen or anything, but I have argued quite vehemently, here, in defense of RPS several times in the past and I just want to demonstrate that I have more integrity than those I've spoken in favour of.

That will have to be all for now.

Apology accepted.  O:-)

Seriously though...look forward to hearing what happened. Hope its nothing too major.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

WTF you just can't come into a bar and yell "I hate that mofo!" and then leave...we need answers!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

im sure Huw will elaborate when he has a proper net connection but heres the main thread

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?13695-The-Growing-and-Highly-Abusive-Marriage-of-Gaming-and-Media/page2

seems all par for the course until page 2 when some old thread gets dug up - long story short - one of the RPS writers slept with a game developer and now has his integrity called into question,  from what i can gather

apparently shes a deeply unpleasant person but is been defended elsewhere on the net, namely twitter by senior RPS writers because, well, it would make their own writer look like a twat

theres a bit of this

Quinn shouldn't really be any exception based on that. She seems like a pretty horrible person - not so much for the 'cheating on her boyfriend' thing (although that does affect my personal opinion of her) but for the allegations that she manipulated and destroyed a project designed to get women interested in games simply so that she could run her own similar project. Also threatening TotalBiscuit with DMCA takedown notices if he dared to review her game is blatant abuse the DMCA system and threatens whatever is left of 'games journalism'.

some of this

Again, might I remind you that this very forum has engaged in the exact same behaviour of condemnation back when it suited their interests. Do most of these people really give a shit about 'games journalism'? Christ no, games journalism has been shit for ages. No doubt plenty of people are out for character assassination. And yet we're more than happy to indulge in the same goddamn hatred if, for example, that person was a misogynist or something like that. Again I refer you to the Josh Mattingly case, where a man who was depressed and suffering alcohol abuse sent inappropriate comments to a female game dev through a private message. He was attacked even on this very forum for that, and when I pointed out that he was depressed and an alcoholic, which might explain some of his behaviour (but not excuse it), I was shouted down that it was irrelevant. Therefore, why should it matter if Quinn was depressed?

and a bit of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwD8HR-8Dow&app=desktop

oooo and this

ZOMG, more Zoe Quinn? Why is it that saying Zoe Quinn did some unethical things for publicity and self-promotion makes you a misogynist. On the other hand how is calling all the trolls involved in this debacle misogynists helping anything.

The fact of the matter is there is a legitimate group of people concerned that professional/ethical standards have been breached.

Evidence is piling up that Zoe Quinn lied about being doxxed, slept with a member of the video game press, ruined a game jam (that was designed promote women in the industry no less) because it competed with her own game jam, and lied about being harassed by internet trolls/misogynists to get publicity.

If people still think this is entirely a plot by internet trolls to discredit Zoe Quinn and promote misogyny well you're no better than the people saying that the video game media is entirely corrupted by the agendas of SJW's and the like.

I am a feminist and I am upset because this is a setback.

RPS of all places should be a place where a reasonable discussion about this can take place and not just writing everything off as misogynistic bullshit.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I just want to write and read about games. I really don't understand all this feminist crap and bickering. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Silent Disapproval Robot

MYSO...MISOGE.....MYZZ........(that's hard to spell) 

WOMAN HATER!!!!

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 23, 2014, 04:30:06 PM
I just want to write and read about games. I really don't understand all this feminist crap and bickering.

poetry that is sir

Gusington

That is a lot of drama on those RPS pages that I am too lazy to sift through. I don't quite understand all the drama either. Good to see that Huw is still here though :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

Thanks Gus! This is an oasis of calm. :)

Geek thanks for providing the summary.  The drama has spread to - and, indeed, involves - a large range of gaming websites.  It's insane on reddit right now, not to mention 4chan (surprisingly a voice of reason in this).

TotalBiscuit posted a very reasonable piece about it and was immediately flamed by the social justice fuckwits.

I wish I was at home while this is going on!

Arctic Blast

If 4chan is a voice of reason, the argument is a waste of time.  :)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 23, 2014, 04:57:55 PM
Thanks Gus! This is an oasis of calm. :)

Geek thanks for providing the summary.  The drama has spread to - and, indeed, involves - a large range of gaming websites.  It's insane on reddit right now, not to mention 4chan (surprisingly a voice of reason in this).

TotalBiscuit posted a very reasonable piece about it and was immediately flamed by the social justice fuckwits.

I wish I was at home while this is going on!

One of the benefits of being irrelevant. Grogheads avoids all of the fuss and high drama. I can see it now...Housewives of Grogheads.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Steelgrave

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 23, 2014, 04:30:06 PM

Quoted for truth!!!   8)

Toonces

Heh.  I don't spend much time on the internet, but 90% of it is here or at BMS's forums.

Therefore, I'm completely oblivious to everything you guys are talking about.  I do like a good ole fashioned forum purse fight from time to time.  But I find the SimHQ DCS forum is pretty good for getting that fix.

One would think it would be almost impossible to interject drama, or even to have a good solid purse fight, over computer gaming of all things.   :idiot2:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Ok, so I tried to read through the first two pages of the linked thread, and it is like it isn't even written in English to me.  I'm not even trying to be funny.  I have no idea what they are talking about. 

Sorry, you guys lost me on this one.

And WTF is a "game jam"? 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs