Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut

Started by RooksBailey, August 21, 2014, 04:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RooksBailey

It is like like when I first discovered 40K: I have simply fallen head over heels in love with this game and the setting!  I just love the noir stylings and the "urban fantasy" mash-up that is at the heart of the game.   So anything that gives me more "Shadowrun" is very welcome!   :smitten:

Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut Dev Diary #1: New Missions & Content

Can't wait!  I am glad to hear that it will be free to owners of the campaign, too!
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Nefaro

Quote from: RooksBailey on August 21, 2014, 04:19:50 PM
It is like like when I first discovered 40K: I have simply fallen head over heels in love with this game and the setting!  I just love the noir stylings and the "urban fantasy" mash-up that is at the heart of the game.   So anything that gives me more "Shadowrun" is very welcome!   :smitten:

Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut Dev Diary #1: New Missions & Content

Can't wait!  I am glad to hear that it will be free to owners of the campaign, too!

Not a PC game, but I pre-ordered the Co-Op (aka solitaire-capable) persistent deck-builder tabletop game that comes out next week. 

Shadowrun: Crossfire

I'm a sucker for it, or anything "cyberpunk", especially Shadowrun.  I did a Gus *Squee* when I first noticed this was coming out soon.

RooksBailey

Quote from: Nefaro on August 21, 2014, 06:58:40 PM

Not a PC game, but I pre-ordered the Co-Op (aka solitaire-capable) persistent deck-builder tabletop game that comes out next week. 

Shadowrun: Crossfire

I'm a sucker for it, or anything "cyberpunk", especially Shadowrun.  I did a Gus *Squee* when I first noticed this was coming out soon.

That sounds great!  I might have to give it a go, too!  I've even been toying with getting the RPG ruleset to see if I can use it for some solitaire gaming.  This might be a more practical way to go for some solitaire gaming.

Yeah...this setting has really hooked me.  :smitten:

Let us know what you think of the game when you can!
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Nefaro

Quote from: RooksBailey on August 21, 2014, 08:36:05 PM

Let us know what you think of the game when you can!

Will do, Chummer.   O0

I also have the latest RPG Core Rulebook.  It's pretty damn big, and is interesting to read occasionally since I enjoy reading up on game mechanics (along with some lore of course!).  But this card game is a better way to play solitaire and these things take far less setup time and planning beforehand.  Yet they still keep some of the flavor from the setting.  I'm also a sucker for a good-looking Co-Op board game as they get much more use than any competitive multi-player one. 

Also keep an eye out for Shadows of Brimstone, coming in October (IIRC?).  It's a Co-Op dungeon crawler with a heavy Lovecraft theme.. and it's characters start/come from the wild west, entering a specific Lovecraftian dimension depening on which base standlone kit(s) you get.  Lovecraft... another theme I buckle for, although many games don't use it as well as this one looks to.  I'm looking forward to 'Marcowargamer's YouTube review on it.  Said he couldn't stop playing it after picking it up at GenCon, so it's another must-have.

RooksBailey

Quote from: Nefaro on August 21, 2014, 10:11:40 PM
Will do, Chummer.   O0

Wiz.   8)

QuoteI also have the latest RPG Core Rulebook.  It's pretty damn big, and is interesting to read occasionally since I enjoy reading up on game mechanics (along with some lore of course!).  But this card game is a better way to play solitaire and these things take far less setup time and planning beforehand.  Yet they still keep some of the flavor from the setting. 

I watched some of the vids posted at BGG and it does look like a fun game.  I particularly like how it has persistent character development from match to match - I just wish they didn't use stickers for some reason.   :-\  My only concern is that the missions seem limited - I think one of the vids said three only?  - and they all seem to be based around the "survive for X turns" type of theme.  I was hoping for something more elaborate.

Still, I am seriously thinking about getting the game.  I see one of the sites has it for $30 if I pre-order.  Hmm....

QuoteAlso keep an eye out for Shadows of Brimstone, coming in October (IIRC?).  It's a Co-Op dungeon crawler with a heavy Lovecraft theme.. and it's characters start/come from the wild west, entering a specific Lovecraftian dimension depening on which base standlone kit(s) you get.  Lovecraft... another theme I buckle for, although many games don't use it as well as this one looks to.  I'm looking forward to 'Marcowargamer's YouTube review on it.  Said he couldn't stop playing it after picking it up at GenCon, so it's another must-have.

That does sound interesting, too!

Nefaro

Quote from: RooksBailey on August 22, 2014, 09:14:03 PM
Will do, Chummer.   O0

Wiz.   8)

QuoteI also have the latest RPG Core Rulebook.  It's pretty damn big, and is interesting to read occasionally since I enjoy reading up on game mechanics (along with some lore of course!).  But this card game is a better way to play solitaire and these things take far less setup time and planning beforehand.  Yet they still keep some of the flavor from the setting. 

I watched some of the vids posted at BGG and it does look like a fun game.  I particularly like how it has persistent character development from match to match - I just wish they didn't use stickers for some reason.   :-\  My only concern is that the missions seem limited - I think one of the vids said three only?  - and they all seem to be based around the "survive for X turns" type of theme.  I was hoping for something more elaborate.

Still, I am seriously thinking about getting the game.  I see one of the sites has it for $30 if I pre-order.  Hmm....

The "three missions", plus the couple that have been released for the demo, are only vague setups.  From what I understand, most of the stuff that happens on the missions are based on the decks of cards that you draw from while running.  So runs through each specific mission type won't be the same.

QuoteAlso keep an eye out for Shadows of Brimstone, coming in October (IIRC?).  It's a Co-Op dungeon crawler with a heavy Lovecraft theme.. and it's characters start/come from the wild west, entering a specific Lovecraftian dimension depening on which base standlone kit(s) you get.  Lovecraft... another theme I buckle for, although many games don't use it as well as this one looks to.  I'm looking forward to 'Marcowargamer's YouTube review on it.  Said he couldn't stop playing it after picking it up at GenCon, so it's another must-have.

Just be aware that the minis that come with those Brimstone Core sets are still on the sprues and need some glued assembly. 

This shouldn't be a big issue for me since I've just started painting my various minis.  Also finally got around to assembling the Super Dungeon Explore minis and readying them to paint. It's the same situation.  I suppose it gives me something else to do when I don't feel like actual gaming, but the trimming and gluing parts aren't very exciting. 

RooksBailey

New trailer:

I hope a new campaign is next on HBS' "to do" list.   :)

Nefaro

Quote from: RooksBailey on August 26, 2014, 02:39:19 PM
New trailer:

A re-release?  Seriously?

It better have a lot of extra stuff in it.

Tpek

Quote from: Nefaro on August 23, 2014, 12:13:51 AM
Quote from: RooksBailey on August 22, 2014, 09:14:03 PM
Will do, Chummer.   O0

Wiz.   8)

The "three missions", plus the couple that have been released for the demo, are only vague setups.  From what I understand, most of the stuff that happens on the missions are based on the decks of cards that you draw from while running.  So runs through each specific mission type won't be the same.

Just be aware that the minis that come with those Brimstone Core sets are still on the sprues and need some glued assembly. 

This shouldn't be a big issue for me since I've just started painting my various minis.  Also finally got around to assembling the Super Dungeon Explore minis and readying them to paint. It's the same situation.  I suppose it gives me something else to do when I don't feel like actual gaming, but the trimming and gluing parts aren't very exciting.

I am very much annoyed about the Brimstone thing requiring glue.
Flying Frog Games never demanded we assemble the miniatures ourselves in the past, and I don't recall reading any warnings about that on the kickstarter.

Rayfer

Rhetorical question self, 'why did I not get the Dragonfall expansion?'  I really enjoyed the base game Shadowrun Returns but haven't pulled the trigger on the expansion even though it has been on sale from time to time.  But there will be more sales coming soon, that is a given in this age of Steam.

RooksBailey

Quote from: Nefaro on August 27, 2014, 01:50:39 AM
Quote from: RooksBailey on August 26, 2014, 02:39:19 PM
New trailer:

A re-release?  Seriously?

It better have a lot of extra stuff in it.

They are doing the Witcher thang by going back and adding some polish, as well as some new content (5 new missions and a bunch of other stuff - see the vid).  If you already own DF the update is going to be free. 

Quote from: RayferRhetorical question self, 'why did I not get the Dragonfall expansion?'  I really enjoyed the base game Shadowrun Returns but haven't pulled the trigger on the expansion even though it has been on sale from time to time.  But there will be more sales coming soon, that is a given in this age of Steam.

If you haven't purchased DF yet it might be just as well as this version of it is going to be a stand alone expansion (you won't need the base game anymore to launch it), and this version will have new content and more polishing.   Again, owners of DF will get this directors cut for free, so if you see DF on sale prior to the launch of the new enhanced DF, it might be worth grabbing it just to get the enhanced version for free.

I also enjoyed Deadman's Switch.  Even though people knocked it for being too linear, I still enjoy the experience.  My only complaint is that it is too easy.  I've played it on normal and never had my char die, and now I restarted and I am playing on hard and have yet to have my char die.  I hope DF is more challenging!

RooksBailey

Pricing details released:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/960843

Quote*If this is your first time hearing about the Director's Cut, here's the scoop: It's a standalone release of our critically-acclaimed Dragonfall campaign that includes a bunch of new content and improvements we've made to the game. It's $14.99, releases September 18th for Windows/Mac/Linux, will be available on Steam, GoG and the Humble Store, and is FREE to all existing owners of Dragonfall (including Backers.) And it's coming to iOS/Android tablets in ~October. More information and FAQ here.

Also some wallpapers on that page.

I just finished the Shadowrun Anthology last night that came with the Deluxe Edition of the game (I think it might have been the only deluxe edition I ever purchased - I loved the game at first sight that much!) and have to say there were some really good stories in there that served to explain many of the in-game events.  If it wasn't for the fact that I have a hugh backlog of unfinished books sitting on my kindle and my desk, I would immediately rush off and read another SR book!

EDIT: new dev diary on the forthcoming music changes:

http://harebrained-schemes.com/blog/2014/08/28/shadowrun-dragonfall-directors-cut-dev-diary-2-new-music/

RooksBailey

Nefaro

Quote from: RooksBailey on September 12, 2014, 02:05:10 PM
Hurray!  More gore!   ;D

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/983136

And other stuff.   ;)

It's the little things in gaming life..

Muahahha!

Got some chunky salsa out of the suit, even.

Shelldrake

Quote from: Nefaro on September 12, 2014, 02:58:26 PM
Quote from: RooksBailey on September 12, 2014, 02:05:10 PM
Hurray!  More gore!   ;D

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/983136

And other stuff.   ;)

It's the little things in gaming life..

Muahahha!

Got some chunky salsa out of the suit, even.

LOL Reminds me of the Bloody Mess trait in Fallout!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell