Main Menu

Cunaxa Redux

Started by MengJiao, August 14, 2014, 08:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

I pondered a rational ahistorical Cunaxa.  The best I could do was to remove one Satrap and his command from each side.  Tissapherenes and his
heavy cavalry no longer are with the Great King and Ariaeus and his Asians have not turned up for the Rebels.  There were quite a few ways to
rationalize that, but there was no obvious way to strengthen the rebels.
  So I turned to Xenophon's account and found that before breakfast the rebel army thought it had been surprised by the arrival of the Royal Army.
So the two armies could collide in mid-deployment and Cyrus would not really have the option of his bad plan.  But what about a deployment from the
march for the Greeks amongst the rebels?  Why not borrow Leotychides and a very mixed bag of vaguely Spartan troops from the Greek column attack
at Mycale?  So here he is with some 3rd rate hoplites and some first-rate helots:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 14, 2014, 08:08:39 PM
  I pondered a rational ahistorical Cunaxa.  The best I could do was to remove one Satrap and his command from each side.  Tissapherenes and his
heavy cavalry no longer are with the Great King and Ariaeus and his Asians have not turned up for the Rebels.  There were quite a few ways to
rationalize that, but there was no obvious way to strengthen the rebels.
  So I turned to Xenophon's account and found that before breakfast the rebel army thought it had been surprised by the arrival of the Royal Army.
So the two armies could collide in mid-deployment and Cyrus would not really have the option of his bad plan.  But what about a deployment from the
march for the Greeks amongst the rebels?  Why not borrow Leotychides and a very mixed bag of vaguely Spartan troops from the Greek column attack
at Mycale?  So here he is with some 3rd rate hoplites and some first-rate helots:

And a little into Turn 1 -- both sides start deploying:

bayonetbrant

a lot of those ancients games look so sparse with plain hex maps.  I'd rather see at least something resembling green grass or dirt on the map
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MengJiao

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 16, 2014, 07:23:31 AM
a lot of those ancients games look so sparse with plain hex maps.  I'd rather see at least something resembling green grass or dirt on the map

Some maps for the GBOH series have such things, but given the problems the armies of the time had with any terrain at all, its not surprising that many battles happened on more or less featureless bits of ground.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 16, 2014, 07:35:55 PM

Some maps for the GBOH series have such things, but given the problems the armies of the time had with any terrain at all, its not surprising that many battles happened on more or less featureless bits of ground.

Turn one almost over:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 16, 2014, 10:54:06 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on August 16, 2014, 07:35:55 PM

Turn one almost over:

Leotychides advancing rapidly with the rebel left.  At this point he has 3 moves and 1 reform versus a single move by most Persian formations.  This rapid move might work -- but I have my doubts:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 17, 2014, 03:11:18 PM

Leotychides advancing rapidly with the rebel left.  At this point he has 3 moves and 1 reform versus a single move by most Persian formations.  This rapid move might work -- but I have my doubts:

So Leotychides is moving up the rebel left very fast.  Otherwise not much has happened yet.  Here is the start of Turn 3:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 17, 2014, 09:01:04 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on August 17, 2014, 03:11:18 PM

So Leotychides is moving up the rebel left very fast.  Otherwise not much has happened yet.  Here is the start of Turn 3:

Arrows fly:

bayonetbrant

That lone #4 counter on the center-right looks like an attack helicopter
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MengJiao

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 20, 2014, 08:41:33 PM

That's how I track which side has a chit to pull next.  It's on the rebel side now since the Army of the Great King just moved and fired its horse archers.

Staggerwing

Could also be an AT gun- 88?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MengJiao

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 21, 2014, 05:45:38 AM

Could also be an AT gun- 88?

It's a generic heavy AA gun ( 88 or 90 or whatever) from One of the Command at Sea games.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 20, 2014, 08:16:40 PM

Arrows fly:

Start of Turn 4 -- skirmishing in the center: