COIN in Vietnam: Fire In The Lake

Started by Nefaro, August 11, 2014, 08:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

if you guys ping DicedT, he'd probably be up for a game
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

I'll catch you guys for a future game, if it happens.

Hell, besides putting it somewhere under my "To Learn" stack, I still haven't even played a single game in Vassal. 

Ubercat

Quote from: Nefaro on August 20, 2014, 05:31:06 PM
I'll catch you guys for a future game, if it happens.

Hell, besides putting it somewhere under my "To Learn" stack, I still haven't even played a single game in Vassal.

Well, here's a question for you. If you had a next door neighbor who loved playing war/strategy games; who specifically loved all the same games that you did, and he was always available to play, how often would you be gaming with him?

That's what Vassal is like. It throws geographic limits out the window. Add in Skype, and you guys may as well be together in one of your game rooms. Live Vassal play is the best fun I've ever had in gaming on my PC. You can teach/learn new games like you're across the table from each other, and watch moves being made in real time.

Even without geographical limitations, getting 4 people playing at the same time can sometimes be prohibitively difficult, which is where logfiles come in.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

GJK

+1 to Ubercat though the one thing I'd like to try in vassal is using a webcam concentrated on my dice cup for doing actual dice rolls.  Otherwise, it's pretty darn close to the real thing at a table.  By the way, just set up a Blood Bowl vassal game with my brother, we're about to test it now.  I'll release it to you guys once we've got it all tweaked out.  O0
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Ubercat

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 20, 2014, 12:51:12 PM
I'm interested in vassal game.  Real-time or PBEM? 

BTW, finally got my ship notice.  Should be on my doorstep Friday.

All right, We have 4! Please PM me your Email and side preference.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Nefaro

Got my shipping notification a couple days ago.

Was rather surprised I even got one.   My last GMT pre-order just eventually showed up unannounced.

Nefaro

The OOPS notification says mine should show up on the doorstep today.

Surely some of you already got it last week.  I didn't pre-order until the last minute.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Nefaro on August 25, 2014, 11:55:00 AM
The OOPS notification says mine should show up on the doorstep today.

Surely some of you already got it last week.  I didn't pre-order until the last minute.

Mine just arrived today.  They shipped last Monday...so it took the slow boat from CA to Virginia.

I am not certain that when you ordered matters.  I had a very early pre-order...still took a long time....

Anyway, having a great time playing a vassal 4 player game with ubercat et.al.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Nefaro

The box is bigger and heavier than I expected.  :coolsmiley:

Cyrano

Got mine!

All the COIN games are beefy fellers.

Really like the look of the box...not that that matters over-much to gameplay, of course.

Most interesting things so far are a) the extra-large (by number) size of the card deck and b) the amount of effort that went into the solo game.  I may now have weekend plans.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Tinkershuffle

Looks interesting indeed. What's the average playing time in COIN series games, hours/days?

bayonetbrant

For a 4-player game with people who know the rules, 4-5 hours for an avg scenario. There are 'long' scenarios that need 8 hrs, but are designed that way.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Mine is missing one of the two Sequence of Play "sheets" but it looks good.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Nefaro on August 26, 2014, 05:54:58 AM

I am missing that as well.  It may be that the rulebook has a misprint as far as the number provided.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Nefaro

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 26, 2014, 11:25:03 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 26, 2014, 05:54:58 AM

I am missing that as well.  It may be that the rulebook has a misprint as far as the number provided.

Yep.  I have plans to wait and see if the rulebook quantities were incorrect.  Figured one of you guys would could clarify.  :)