Free TrackIR Alternative

Started by Asid, July 31, 2014, 06:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asid

War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Shelldrake

Looks interesting. Anyone tried it yet?
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Asid

A buddy of mine did in DCS Huey and he said it was great :)
War in Pieces

Shelldrake

Quote from: Asid on July 31, 2014, 06:57:08 PM
A buddy of mine did in DCS Huey and he said it was great :)

Thanks. Time to pick up a webcam for my gaming rig! :)
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

DoctorQuest

I am going to give this a shot on my webcam equipped laptop. What the heck!

Thanks for the link.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Asid

This has been out for a while but is much improved. When i first tried it i had to remove the ir filter in my cam if i remember correctly but that was a long time ago.

You must take your time and set it up properly and not have any lights shining directly into the cam.

The good thing is most people have a webcam kicking around somewhere so can try it for free :)

Regards
War in Pieces

Staggerwing

The site says it works with the iSight cams. Most of those are built into the laptop or iMac screens so hopefully no removal of IR filters is needed.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Asid

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 01, 2014, 06:44:46 AM
The site says it works with the iSight cams. Most of those are built into the laptop or iMac screens so hopefully no removal of IR filters is needed.

I have TrackIR so haven't looked at Face Track for a long time. I remembered about it after reading some comments on this forum about TrackIR so i thought i would share :)

Regards
War in Pieces

Father Ted

You have to take out the IR filter if you're going to track IRLEDs (as with TrackIR).  I used Freetrack for quite a while - webcam + headset-mounted IRLEDs.  As I understand it FaceTrackNoIR actually tracks your face, so no filter removal necessary but good lighting is required.

Incidentally it is well worth hunting down a PS3 Eye cam.  They run at 120 fps as opposed to the webcam's 30, so give a smoother response. The only caveat is that they don't always work with a PC.  Mine didn't with my new rig, hence upgrade to TrackIR.

Yskonyn

I too have used freetrack for a while, but I wasn't happy with it at all. Far too much fiddling to get it right.
I have been using TrackIR 4 for years now and I am glad I did buy it.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."