Main Menu

Destiny

Started by Grimnirsson, July 31, 2014, 04:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimnirsson

Well, I wasn't that interested in the game despite the hype because it looked like a generic shooter with more than just a touch of Halo. I love the Halo series but the games became more and more shallow with each published episode so...

Then we played the beta on the 360 for 2 days and that quickly convinced us this is a great game even on the old gen (it looks good enough for me, they obviously used every bit of power of the old machine - no need to shell out 460€ to play this game) and we had great fun and decided to get the game when it's out.

Then yesterday there was a big announcement about the mid- and endgame things in Destiny and it also sounded great, the fun actually begins with level 20, it does not end there as everyone feared. But then in all the talk about the really great stuff in the game there was also what is probably the most silly idea a game studio can ever come up with...the real thing is the raids, plenty of truly challenging game sessions that last for hours...but there is no matchmaking! :uglystupid2:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/30/destiny-the-endgame-is-only-the-beginning-ign-first

Bungie actually expects gamers to have 5 other friends around who also own the game, play on the platform you do, have hours of time to play when all other 5 friends also have this time or you just can't play Raids! That means adult gamers probably with family, gamers who have a job, gamers who now play on next gen but all their friends playing still on old gen or vice versa, gamers with friends in different time zones, gamers who want to play now because they have 3h free time, but everybody else is offline...etc. will pay the full price for this game and won't be able to play the best and probably biggest part of it because Bungie decided what's best for them!

This is already creating heated debates on the internet and I can only hope that they will rethink that and add matchmaking. I mean it's all about options, if you think you have to play with folks you know and you can do that, then go and play with your other 5 friends. If I can not do that for whatever reason it's my decision to get my butt kicked in a raid mission because the random guys the game throws me together with suck. But at least I can play all modes in a game for which I paid full price and even if 9 out of 10 game sessions turn out to be a bad experience because of random players not playing well, there's still the chance for having that one game session offering a great time to all involved.

If they don't include matchmaking they will lose many potential buyers I'm sure...  :idiot2:

Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Yskonyn

I have pre ordered it for PS4.
I like what I have seen so far, althoughI do not think I am much interested in 'end game'. I am just going to play it leisurely and see how long I will stay interested.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

I might have to take my words back. The way multiplayer (PVP and coöp.) seems to be handled and the way the community features seem to be integrated are pretty awesome!
I find myself rerunning the trailers. Stuff that didnt happen for quite some time! And how freakin cool is the Warlock with his trenchcoat!?

I might get social event attendence issues...
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."