DVG - ***FREE*** Battle For Stalingrad Vassal!

Started by DanVerssen, July 30, 2014, 02:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanVerssen

***FREE*** BATTLE FOR STALINGRAD VASSAL MODULE! ***FREE***
To promote the sale of the boxed game, we are giving away the Vassal module to give you a chance to try the game. We're hoping that if you try the Vassal module and like it, you'll purchase the boxed game. If this works out, and we see a bump in sales, we'll happily extend this free module idea to other games!

MODERN LAND BATTLES and TIGER LEADER
Are back on the design table, and we're hoping to send both games to the printer in about 2 months. A quick check of the pre-orders will show that we're still about 100 short for each game. Please pre-order. We need all the orders we can get to pay for the printing.

Along with printing new games, we're doing our best to get some of the other pre-order games into print. We're happy to devote the design time needed, but we need your help. Our goal is to get Gato Leader, Israeli Air Force Leader, and Down In Flames Locked-On also sent to the printer.

FIELD COMMANDER ALEXANDER
Is now available as a Vassal module!

FLEET COMMANDER NIMITZ
Is at the printer! If you haven't had a chance to pre-order, please do so soon. We are keeping the pre-order price for a short time.

www.dvg.com

Staggerwing

Awesome idea Dan! Price is reasonable on BfS as well so you might be on to something here!

There wouldn't be a lazy link to the VASSAL mod would there?  :)

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Grimnirsson

Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GJK

Mad Russian (Steve) did that module for DVG so congrats to him for landing that gig and thanks to Dan for letting us preview his new game via the VASSAL mdoule.  This is definitely on my "must check out" radar...hoping that it gives somewhat of an "Up Front" feel to it.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bbmike

I'm mostly new to Vassal (in fact I'm working on a module right now) but I thought the modules were all free?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Grimnirsson

Gary, the game is a true gem and yes there's a certain UF feeling to it as I said in my review. :)

(Just in case you didn't see the announcement link for the review, you can read it here:
http://wargamecenter.wordpress.com/2014/07/02/review-battle-for-stalingrad-the-epic-east-front-battle-game-dvg/ )

www.homefrontcenter.de

Grimnirsson

QuoteI'm mostly new to Vassal (in fact I'm working on a module right now) but I thought the modules were all free?

Most are but some companies don't allow to have them available for free - you know there's always the fear that a vassal mod plus the rulebook pdf is enough for some folks so no need to buy the boxed game. For small companies like DVG that can be hard, they need the sales...

www.homefrontcenter.de

GroggyGrognard

After looking over the game description and reading the review, BFS looks like an intriguing game.

Quote from: Grimnirsson on July 31, 2014, 04:50:10 PM
QuoteI'm mostly new to Vassal (in fact I'm working on a module right now) but I thought the modules were all free?

Most are but some companies don't allow to have them available for free - you know there's always the fear that a vassal mod plus the rulebook pdf is enough for some folks so no need to buy the boxed game. For small companies like DVG that can be hard, they need the sales...

One of the things I like about Multi-Man Publishing is that they have a rulebook archive of The Gamers various combat series games.

Groggy

"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

ArizonaTank

Glad to see that DVG is treating me like an adult.  Yes, I will try the game on Vassal, and if I like it, I will buy it.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GJK

Quote from: Grimnirsson on July 31, 2014, 04:46:42 PM
Gary, the game is a true gem and yes there's a certain UF feeling to it as I said in my review. :)

(Just in case you didn't see the announcement link for the review, you can read it here:
http://wargamecenter.wordpress.com/2014/07/02/review-battle-for-stalingrad-the-epic-east-front-battle-game-dvg/ )

Wow, that's quite a thorough (and favorable) review that you did for the game Andreas...this is definitely high on my list of "must try's before I buy" games.  Thanks!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

I've been on a card game kick lately, so this has my attention.  Perhaps I'll try the Vassal module.  Or just buy it blind, even.  I do appreciate the Vassal version being put up as a demo, however, and it may well get me to purchase this sooner rather than later.

As with all tabletop games, I'd much rather have a physical copy.  I've not actually played anything via Vassal yet just for that reason.  If I'm gonna spend the time, I want to sniff & touch the dead inked tree guts.  :)  I'm sure many have similar preferences.

ArizonaTank

The only thing that has stopped me from getting this...is that I am still expected to hand over my payment information even though the module is free.  I understand that DVG wants to know who is downloading the module.  I think that it is reasonable, so giving my name, address, email is all cool.  If DVG wants to pepper me with emails...I'm OK with that. 

But the DVG website requires you to take the module "purchase" through the check out process.  So you either need a credit card for the $0 purchase, or you have to go through paypal.  Paypal won't take a $0 purchase (I tried).  So that means I have to put my credit card info in to download the free module. 

Certainly I trust DVG, but I don't want to increase my risk of having my credit card info stolen.  I make a personal policy not to give out my credit card info unless it is absolutely necessary.  So with a sigh I will move on to other games.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Nefaro

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 03, 2014, 09:39:00 AM
The only thing that has stopped me from getting this...is that I am still expected to hand over my payment information even though the module is free.  I understand that DVG wants to know who is downloading the module.  I think that it is reasonable, so giving my name, address, email is all cool.  If DVG wants to pepper me with emails...I'm OK with that. 

But the DVG website requires you to take the module "purchase" through the check out process.  So you either need a credit card for the $0 purchase, or you have to go through paypal.  Paypal won't take a $0 purchase (I tried).  So that means I have to put my credit card info in to download the free module. 

Certainly I trust DVG, but I don't want to increase my risk of having my credit card info stolen.  I make a personal policy not to give out my credit card info unless it is absolutely necessary.  So with a sigh I will move on to other games.

This also made me shy away from checking it out.  I'd prefer to keep from entering my card info as much as possible.  Actually had one of mine end up being used by someone to buy about $440 worth of MP3s not too long ago, although that may have been due to the Target hack.  Still.. it tends to ramp up the paranoia.

I figured that I'd wait and see if they put it up on the Vassal module site.  However, I now gather that DVG wants to track who downloaded it? 

DanVerssen

To make it as easy as possible, I just added a direct download link on the Vassal Stalingrad page. :)

Here's the page...

http://www.dvg.com/.sc/ms/dd/ee/77/Battle%20For%20Stalingrad%20-%20Vassal