Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced

Started by steve58, July 29, 2014, 12:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Praised for the quality of its AI, its unique and lively world, and its neat mechanics and streamlined UI, Pandora: First Contact had lot to offer to 4X fans at its release, late 2013. Thanks to patches and a free expansion, the game has become even deeper and more entertaining. Now Proxy-Studios wants to transform Pandora into a darker and secret battlefield; a place where espionage and diplomacy can prevail!

With Eclipse of Nashira, new dangers and opportunities enter the world of Pandora. A new faction shows its face, talking of peace and friendship while their spies operate behind enemy lines. Nothing is what it seems anymore, as agents conduct covert warfare of espionage and sabotage, inciting revolts and stealing technologies. At the same time, another alien species native to the planet has appeared, lurking in the shadows. In order to overcome this new alien menace, the different factions start to expand beyond the planet's landmass to generate more resources, opening up a new frontier.

As the World of Pandora is about to plummet into chaos by warfare, espionage and hostile alien species, it is up to you to lead your people and become the ruler of this promised world.

Enjoy the sun while it shines, because this long eclipse is scheduled for later this year!

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1482/Pandora:.Eclipse.of.Nashira.Announced!.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/538/details/Pandora:.Eclipse.of.Nashira
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Boggit

Edited post... When I read it again, I realised that it was advanced warning, not a sudden release...
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

FWIW, I think this will be a good add on. I think diplomacy, and non-military means have been a weak point in the game. Hopefully, this add on will address those issues, giving a deeper game experience. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Wolfe1759

Looking forward to it but I think the best add on they could do for Pandora would be a manual.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Martok

Was happy to see that announcement.  More Pandora is good IMO. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Rayfer

I enjoyed this game but could never accept the random research tech tree concept. I saw forums where the developers defended their decision and I accept it for what it is, but I don't like it at all. Their was little rhyme, reason nor logic to it.  It is a connection of unrelated techs that changes randomly from game to game.  I would love them to change this into something along the lines of what they did in Distant Worlds.

Boggit

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on July 30, 2014, 12:22:43 PM
Looking forward to it but I think the best add on they could do for Pandora would be a manual.
They do have a manual, but it's hardly worth the name. It gives instructions to load on 3 operating systems, then an overview of the background game story, and then the stories for the factions. Along the way they forgot to put in anything of practical relevance to a player... :uglystupid2: so yes, a REAL manual wiould definitely be a plus! :o ;)

Boggit

Quote from: Rayfer on July 31, 2014, 10:55:45 AM
I enjoyed this game but could never accept the random research tech tree concept. I saw forums where the developers defended their decision and I accept it for what it is, but I don't like it at all. Their was little rhyme, reason nor logic to it.  It is a connection of unrelated techs that changes randomly from game to game.  I would love them to change this into something along the lines of what they did in Distant Worlds.
I share your view here. I wonder if they'll add a fixed tech tree as an option choice in a future update?

bbmike

Random research should be optional but not eliminated. I would like to see the Alpha Centauri approach where you pick a field to research (economic, military, etc.) but don't know exactly which tech you will receive. I wish Civilization had that option. Makes for some interesting games.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Boggit

Quote from: bbmike on July 31, 2014, 03:51:45 PM
Random research should be optional but not eliminated. I would like to see the Alpha Centauri approach where you pick a field to research (economic, military, etc.) but don't know exactly which tech you will receive. I wish Civilization had that option. Makes for some interesting games.
I agree. It lets players choose how they want to approach tech matters.

tgb

Random research worked in Sword of the Stars because it meant that some techs may or may not be available.  Prerequisites made sense. The tech tree in Pandora is a joke, because the "tree" part makes no sense.  They might as well just assign one randomly every time you make a discovery.

FarAway Sooner

So it's more like a technology "pile of leaves", then?  That seems kinda bizarre.

bbmike

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on July 31, 2014, 10:49:34 PM
So it's more like a technology "pile of leaves", then?  That seems kinda bizarre.

Ideally, no. The tech tree would still be there in order from lower level techs to the higher ones. You just wouldn't get to pick the exact one you want. Instead you pick, say the weapons 'area'. Once you've accumulated enough points you are given one of the weapon technologies (in order, low level first). It could be a better laser, a new type of missle, some type of ECM, etc. You could even narrow the 'area' to research if you wanted to.

Quote from: tgb on July 31, 2014, 07:34:11 PM
Random research worked in Sword of the Stars because it meant that some techs may or may not be available.  Prerequisites made sense. The tech tree in Pandora is a joke, because the "tree" part makes no sense.  They might as well just assign one randomly every time you make a discovery.

SotS is interesting in that it randomizes the tree at the start of the game but you then pick them as you play. I haven't played it much yet but I'm curious to see how well that work. It seems kind of cool that when you play a game you may or may not even get shield technology!
I don't like the Pandora style either. It really does seem like a 'technology pile of leaves'.  ;D

[edit]Sorry FarAway Sooner, I thought you were responding to having random research in general, not specifically to  Pandora. It's early and I haven't had my coffee yet.  :D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Martok

Quote from: bbmike on July 31, 2014, 03:51:45 PM
This is what I would like to see as well.  I agree that in its current iteration, the tech "tree" is...wonky at best. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces