Relic to migrate DoW1 multiplayer servers to Steam?

Started by JasonPratt, July 27, 2014, 02:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I semi-randomly ran across an article from late May this year, from Philippe Bouile, a lead designer on the Dawn of War franchise and one of (maybe the) lead narrative and campaign writer for Dark Crusade and the DoW2 story up through Chaos Rising.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/56400/announcements/detail/1819765326660319167

Sega, who bought Relic from the downfall of THQ, has given them permission to rebuild the multiplayer servers on Steam (not including Retribution for some reason, maybe because they're already on Steam).

As of yet this doesn't seem to have happened, but the news that they're going to try (by means of the server system created for Company of Heroes 2) is encouraging! Sega realizes the franchise has a devoted fanbase and this would be a clear and appreciated first step in rebuilding support for the games.

No word yet, so far as I know, whether Steam keys will be given to non-Steam users in order to access the mp -- probably not would be my guess, but we can expect DoW sales every once in a while anyway. I'd be glad to pony up a ten or so to help out the transition after the fact, even though I don't play mp much.

Also no word yet on whether major DoW1 mods like DOWPro will be supported.

I didn't recall seeing this news on the forum back when it was announced (until now), so just in case I figured I'd drop a line. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

We discussed it somewhere here, but yeah.  They're still working on it AFAIK.

There has been a few small patches for DOW and DOWII.  May still be Beta stuff or just prep work.

This could easily have turned into a prime example of one problem with online activation DRM when it or the company drops support.  Fortunately the new owners are doing something about it.  Pretty sure they're tearing GFWL out of it (or already have).  Thankfully.

GDS_Starfury

fuck DOW to the 8th plane of hell!  I WANT MY NEXT HOMEWORLD!!!!
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 27, 2014, 11:54:56 PM
oppps.  did my inside voice slip out.  ::)

Insert 40K heresy/chaos reference here.  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!