In the grim darkness of the Friday there is only war. And blood. And bowls.

Started by JasonPratt, July 24, 2014, 05:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Well, Friday must have started somewhere east of me by now. Probably where there really is only war at the moment.  :-\

Anyway. No doubt most of my gaming this weekend will be finishing up Season One posting of my Amazon Blood Bowl AAR, and then finally getting back to actually playing through Season Two.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

TacticalWargames

Steam and Iron Campaign (The campaign expansion sure made the game 1000x more interesting). POA2.5, TU, Ultimate general. Also been playing 101st Airborne in Normandy again..still love that game. Oh and Divinity OS of course.

tgb

I'm going through a bout with gaming ennui, and the past few days have been spent installing and uninstalling games from my backlog.  Nothing seems to really grab ahold of my interest.

Tomorrow could be different.  I'll probably go back to Commander:The Great War when Steam releases it, and there is always a chance that the link to the Sovereignity beta will be waiting for me in my mailbox when I wake up.

Kushan

Distant Worlds: Do the next part or two of my AAR. New beta patch was released today that should hopefully fix the crashes that I have been having in the last one.

Command: Almost done with my RSR F-19 Ghostrider centered scenario. The basic scenario is working. I'm going to try and set up a random event that will change the target every time the scenario is played. If I can't, then I'm going to modify the scenario to strike all the Elbe bridges rather then just a random one. I was already planning on a scenario variant that did that, I would just be doing it sooner. I'll also be starting a new Co-op MP game with Baloogan, playing a modified version of the vanilla Shamal scenario.

Skyrim: Continue my Breton battlemage. Haven't had the time to play her since last weekend. Just arrived back at Whiterun after having done the first Mage's College dungeon.

I probably won't have the time, but I may also play some Kerbal Space Program or Xenonauts.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

-budd-

I'm deep into PCO at the moment, it's all i'm playing when i have time. Been awhile since i just played one game for any length of time. It also seems my game buying frenzy is over nothing seems interesting to buy no matter what the price, my wallet thanked me...personally.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Staggerwing

Quote from: -budd- on July 24, 2014, 08:33:55 PM
I'm deep into PCO at the moment, it's all i'm playing when i have time. Been awhile since i just played one game for any length of time. It also seems my game buying frenzy is over nothing seems interesting to buy no matter what the price, my wallet thanked me...personally.

PCO= Panzer Command: Ostfront?

I've been meaning to get back into that game. Hope I still have the install file...  ???
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

-budd-

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 24, 2014, 08:38:51 PM
Quote from: -budd- on July 24, 2014, 08:33:55 PM

PCO= Panzer Command: Ostfront?

I've been meaning to get back into that game. Hope I still have the install file...  ???

yup  thats the game. Just re-download from the matrix members area, i did no problems.

I played the Stalingrad train depot scenario 3 times to relearn the game.......lost all 3 times :( Played some other smaller battles and have now started the Mcensk campaign i'm on the second battle after a minor defeat in the first battle. I posted some screens with commentary on the first battle here[ post 856] http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2551048&mpage=29  there's some screens from the Stalingrad battle also. I decided to start a battle AAR of the second battle here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3662729 I just have the setup posted, hope to get more up in the coming days. Thoughts or ridicule appreciated. The Stalingrad and the Mcensk campaign are both by Mobius, I'm sure i'll run into MR's battles soon. I know the graphics are considered rough but there's alot to like about the game and i'm having fun exploring it.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Bison

I plan on taking 2 or 3 naps on Saturday with some OOTP 15 thrown into the mix.  Started my new custom league last weekend and want to continue to fine tune the leagues parameters in between my naps.

Cougar_DK

Kerbal Space Program for me. I really like the new contract system even though it puts a little preasure on the player regarding funds and making sure you can recover parts. Maybe a solution is to add parachutes to everything dropped  :crazy2:

And n really don't need another 4x but Star Ruler 2 looks pretty neat...
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

JudgeDredd

A few games in OOTP 15, maybe some Steel Beasts and I think a touch of FPS - not sure which one.

My World in Flames is still sitting there teasing me.

I'll also be looking to finish my modelling of the Challenger II which I decided NOT to repaint.

(shameless plug)
On Saturday I won't be doing much in the way of gaming at all. I'll be riding (cycling) a 75 mile route around Essex for a charity - Age UK. Some people here have VERY generously donated - thank you so so much. It always makes the rides a bit more worth while when there is a point to it.

If anyone else finds some spare cash down by the sofa or in their other coat pocket and it's surplus to requirement, feel free to pay for me to be pained on Saturday morning.

At 75 miles (it'll be closer to 80 getting to the start and back), I'll be in the saddle for approximately 4-5 hours and that's a LOOOOONG time for a 19 stone bloke.

This is the route
http://www.gpsies.com/mapOnly.do?fileId=mevietmlrvqkmpxo&isFullScreenLeave=true
This is the event page
http://www.bike-events.co.uk/Ride.aspx?id=417

If you can - and ONLY if you are in a position to (I know we are all taxed in life and by other charity requests) - you can donate here....thanks one and all.

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=wmar1967
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: -budd- on July 24, 2014, 10:47:52 PM
I know the graphics are considered rough but there's alot to like about the game and i'm having fun exploring it.

PzC:O graphics aren't too bad if you can turn on some AA and lots of AF.  The first to get rid of the jaggies and the second to make textures look a bit more crisp & defined.

JasonPratt

Quote from: TacticalWargames on July 24, 2014, 07:14:50 PM
Steam and Iron Campaign (The campaign expansion sure made the game 1000x more interesting). POA2.5

Heh, been a while since I've seen anyone reference Point of Attack 2! What's Steam and Iron? I thought I knew what you were talking about but couldn't find it at GG, GoG, or (ironically) Steam. (Though I did find, somewhat by accident, Heroes of Steam which I was impressed enough with to buy for my iPhone.)

TGB, oooo, did I know Matrixlitherine was going to release CTGW on Steam? I don't think I did. Must get a key from Slither (I own it already).

-budd- I'm far too into BB (obviously) to switch over to a PCO campaign but I've been thinking about getting (back) into that, too. I paid moneys for it, I'd like to get some use out of it before I die.  :)) (Then again, also one of my reasons for locking into BB for a while.) I've set up alerts to track your 2nd Mensck AAR.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MengJiao

Quote from: tgb on July 24, 2014, 07:20:27 PM
I'm going through a bout with gaming ennui, and the past few days have been spent installing and uninstalling games from my backlog.  Nothing seems to really grab ahold of my interest.

Big weekend here.  Lots of WITPAE PBEM full of sneaky japs (the enemy) and courageous scions of democracy or Chang-Kai-Shek or Stalin or Mao or the Free French or the Indian Army (that's me).  It's June 1942 with no Coral Sea or Midway.  So the biggest KB ever known to man is out there somewhere.
Meanwhile, I'm playing Heroes and Generals late at night.  It seems to satisfy my gamey cravings for slightly arcadey action.  I got reasonably good at blowing up German tanks with a bazooka, so if I'm feeling a need to do somewhat easy stuff in the game, I do that.  The hard part for me is killing Germans at pointblank range.  They still get me most of the time in a close-range fight.  I tried a lot of stuff: grenades, SMGs, the BAR and the M1.  The BAR with mods was doing very well, but it goes through ammo fast and you can't take a bazooka and a BAR.  Now that would be fine.  So back to the M1 with more mods.  And a Bazooka.  I won't get quite as many Germans at close range but I may compensate somehow by killing more at medium range and getting a few tanks occasionally.  It's a plan anyway.
And some boardgames:  probably continuing with Hoplite.

TheCommandTent

I am hoping to get some Unity of Command, Civil War II and Commander the Great War at some point this weekend.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 25, 2014, 08:14:53 AM
Quote from: TacticalWargames on July 24, 2014, 07:14:50 PM
Steam and Iron Campaign (The campaign expansion sure made the game 1000x more interesting). POA2.5

Heh, been a while since I've seen anyone reference Point of Attack 2! What's Steam and Iron? I thought I knew what you were talking about but couldn't find it at GG, GoG, or (ironically) Steam. (Though I did find, somewhat by accident, Heroes of Steam which I was impressed enough with to buy for my iPhone.)

WWI naval wargame published by NWS.

http://www.navalwarfare.net/steam&iron.html

I enjoyed the base game quite a bit and had been looking forward to getting the campaign add-on but I've not been in a Dreadnaught fighting mood in awhile.   So the Campaign is still on my 'To Do' list.

One of it's biggest strengths is it's sighting and fog of war mechanics mixed with some command & control modelling that works pretty well.  It should make the battles springing from the campaign layer that much more interesting.

Hrmm.. now I'm beginning to think I need to move the S&I campaign higher up my list.  ;)  Along with some Blood Bowl, of course.