Quick Divinity Original Sin Review

Started by bboyer66, July 24, 2014, 07:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bboyer66

Reviews have been very positive about this game. " A Return to old school RPGs"  a lot of people are saying

That"s my biggest problem with this game. It brings almost nothing new to the table. Actually I booted up Neverwinter Nights 2  just to compare, and I think if someone did not know better they would say Neverwinter is the newer game. Better graphics, better story, NPCs, etc.

One of the keys to a good RPG is the story, and Divintys has not even come close to interesting in my 20+  hours of playing it. Very generic story so far. None of the NPCs have been memorable. Its just a real slog. Honestly I dont even really know where the hell I am at in the game, and nothing makes me really care.

Combat is a mixed bag. Its turn based which is good. But the whole element gimmick of lighting oil on fire and electrifying water gets old after a while. Typical combat is , cast oil spell, light oil spell on fire, try not to burn yourself, repeat.

Honestly I have started to nod off while playing this game . Its getting to the point where I don't know if I want to commit anymore time to it. Been on the same map now since the beginning and frankly I am finding it just plain boring at this point.

Review 6/10   A good attempt at an old school rpg game, that starts to lose it luster after a while.

Rayfer

Hmmm....one of the few negative reviews I've seen. I've been interested in this game but can't afford the full, new-release price. I plan to wait for the sales. I really enjoyed Neverwinter Nights 2...great rpg.  So far, most all that I have read about this new Divinity game has been gushing with praise. Thanks for the honest review. It will be interesting to see how others who are playing the game respond.

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: bboyer66 on July 24, 2014, 07:01:04 AM
  Reviews have been very positive about this game. " A Return to old school RPGs"  a lot of people are saying

That"s my biggest problem with this game. It brings almost nothing new to the table. Actually I booted up Neverwinter Nights 2  just to compare, and I think if someone did not know better they would say Neverwinter is the newer game. Better graphics, better story, NPCs, etc.

One of the keys to a good RPG is the story, and Divintys has not even come close to interesting in my 20+  hours of playing it. Very generic story so far. None of the NPCs have been memorable. Its just a real slog. Honestly I dont even really know where the hell I am at in the game, and nothing makes me really care.

Combat is a mixed bag. Its turn based which is good. But the whole element gimmick of lighting oil on fire and electrifying water gets old after a while. Typical combat is , cast oil spell, light oil spell on fire, try not to burn yourself, repeat.

Honestly I have started to nod off while playing this game . Its getting to the point where I don't know if I want to commit anymore time to it. Been on the same map now since the beginning and frankly I am finding it just plain boring at this point.

Review 6/10   A good attempt at an old school rpg game, that starts to lose it luster after a while.

Hmmmm, your depiction of combat makes me wonder if you have found any of the fire-based creatures that roam to the NE and NW. Your routine would actually be healing those fire creatures.

And NWN2 having a better story? Really? A game that ran you through the Forgotten Realms as straight as driving along a road in the Australian desert? The Westgate module expansion was good, but smaller than the original campaign. Which had the legend BLAND burnt across its forehead.

Honestly, when I say old school I think of Ultima VII: The Black Gate/Serpents Isle or the golden triad of Baldur's Gate I/II and Planescape. Not of friggin' NWN2 (which was a good attempt at an old school RPG game, which sort of lost its luster halfway into the campaign).   ;)

bboyer66

Quote from: Bletchley_Geek on July 24, 2014, 07:53:27 AM
Quote from: bboyer66 on July 24, 2014, 07:01:04 AM

Hmmmm, your depiction of combat makes me wonder if you have found any of the fire-based creatures that roam to the NE and NW. Your routine would actually be healing those fire creatures.

And NWN2 having a better story? Really? A game that ran you through the Forgotten Realms as straight as driving along a road in the Australian desert? The Westgate module expansion was good, but smaller than the original campaign. Which had the legend BLAND burnt across its forehead.

Honestly, when I say old school I think of Ultima VII: The Black Gate/Serpents Isle or the golden triad of Baldur's Gate I/II and Planescape. Not of friggin' NWN2 (which was a good attempt at an old school RPG game, which sort of lost its luster halfway into the campaign).   ;)

Yes I met the fire based creatures. Substitute oil spell with rain spell.

Not saying that the NWN 2 campaign was all that great, but I did find it somewhat interesting and much more developed. Was able to finish the campaign without falling asleep. Also the expansions such as Storm of Zehir and Westgate really showed the potential of NWN2. Finally the characters in your party actually had some personality and made you care about them.

Like I said, its not a bad game. Just more of the same with a shit campaign story so far.

Nefaro

My biggest complaint is how slow it is to move across the maps when you're not doing anything.. other than moving.  I hated that in the old BG/ID series.  Feels like I spend half my gaming time just waiting on my party to walk somewhere.

I still think Divine Divinity was more fun, but they're a bit different in styles.  I'm just glad this is an isometric one with fairly open gameplay and some mystery as to what you may find just wandering about.  It's more enjoyable than the vast majority of RPGs out there.

bboyer66

Another complaint I have about the whole genre in general is the excessive amount of loot.

95% of the crap you find in RPG games , you never use. Plus it takes away from the immersion when you have to check every barrel for gold and other crap. This also leads to inflated inventories which you spend half the game trying to sort out and sell.

So in my humble opinion, less but better loot.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bboyer66 on July 24, 2014, 10:19:48 AM
Another complaint I have about the whole genre in general is the excessive amount of loot.

95% of the crap you find in RPG games , you never use. Plus it takes away from the immersion when you have to check every barrel for gold and other crap. This also leads to inflated inventories which you spend half the game trying to sort out and sell.

No game that I am aware of forces you to check every crate and barrel for loot. If you want less loot, don't look. Since most of it is crap anyway, it shouldn't hurt your game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bboyer66

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 24, 2014, 12:08:12 PM
Quote from: bboyer66 on July 24, 2014, 10:19:48 AM

No game that I am aware of forces you to check every crate and barrel for loot. If you want less loot, don't look. Since most of it is crap anyway, it shouldn't hurt your game.

But what if its something useful in the barrel? Like the +5 stick of maximus smackimus. Thats the problem, the useful stuff is mingled in with all the crap. Guess its a necessary evil to a certain extent. But it sure seems like they could tone it down in some games.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm still waiting for them to properly implement key re-mapping so I can start playing the damned game.

TacticalWargames

Well for me it's a superb RPG..love it. Far more engrossing than Skyrim and it's endless repetitive quests and empty cities.

mikeck

I love it. Can be a bit "cartoony" but that's the intent. Mechanically, I have no complaints at all. I am on my 3rd start. 1st was abandoned because of the big patch. For the 2nd I was pretty far I ...level 5 characters...and then I realized that I spent too many points on dumb crap like lock picking and charisma. I was getting my ass kicked. Restart
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson