Main Menu

Combat Command

Started by Tinkershuffle, July 21, 2014, 12:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinkershuffle

Combat Command seems to be the new deal of the week by Matrix. What do you think, is it worth a shot and how does it differ for example from TOAW and Tiller's Panzer Campaigns?

bayonetbrant

ass-kicking lower-level AI for your subordinate units.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Tinkershuffle

Are you sure you didn't mix this up with Command Ops?

bayonetbrant

yeah, you're probably right.  Remember, I'm the boardgamer around here!   :idiot2:
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Tinkershuffle

No problem, the boardgamers need to stay united. :)

panzerde

I've not played it, but I'm a little wary of something that is company scale with a one day turn. It might be very good, but that seems a mismatch to me. You'd expect a game a company scale to have a shorter turn time.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Rayfer

I don't own this game either. But I swear there was a thread on this a while back in which the game was lauded as being pretty good.  I did a search under 'combat command' but only this thread came up.

-budd-

i played a quite a bit of this game a while ago and pop back to it from time to time. First for $10 you can't go wrong if its your cup of tea. My favorite part of the game is you just play whether your just starting or been away awhile you up and running in a few minutes. Hex scale is 500meters, 2hour day turns, 4hour night turns and runs in phases. It comes with 40 scenarios and there are a few user made ones. Jmass made a map mod thats a must to improve the map. It clocks in at a whopping 24 meg download.

Here's a couple AAR's i did and posted at Matrix
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3110357
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3108410

here's the phases of play from the manual

If you have any other questions...ask away if i dont remember i'll look to the manual.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

-budd-

thought this might interest people.......AI settings

Rayfer

Giving it serious thought. I like that it isn't the one-day turns posted earlier, makes more sense having 2 hour day time turns with the 500 meter hexes. Thanks for the clarification budd.

panzerde

2 hour turns makes much more sense. Not sure why the page at Matrix says 1 day turns!  :o
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Bison

It's a good game to wile away a few hours, but Matrix and the developer dropped all support soon after it was released.

jomni

Quote from: Bison on July 21, 2014, 08:45:06 PM
It's a good game to wile away a few hours, but Matrix and the developer dropped all support soon after it was released.

But are there bugs left to fix?  I haven't played it much.

Bison

As far as the last time I played, which admittedly has been awhile, yes there were persistent bugs left.  I didn't really quit playing because of the bugs, but I wasn't a huge fan of the games turn phasing more than anything.

-budd-

the major bugs were fixed, in fact i cant remember any big issues left.

Here's the changelog for the last patch.....the withdrawal bug was the last biggy.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3078106