Steel Beasts Pro Discussion Thread

Started by Asid, July 16, 2014, 05:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Jeebus Nef! You are approaching Armored Warfare like Airbus is approaching flight : one button to do everything! :)
Where is the fun in that? Compared to fighting in the T-72, the Leo 2 is a ergonomics freak's wet dream for crying out loud! :D
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Asid

I'm fighting in a T62 right now.... that aint easy  :knuppel2:
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Jack Nastyface

FWIW....I didn't find much difficulty in moving from the Abrams to the Challenger.  IIRC, gunnery is fairly similar with the exception of "dumping lead", and I couldn't find anything different in the commander position.  For those things that ARE different (for example...I think you need to rotate the tank turret to a 5:00 position if you want to reload ammo in the Challenger), I just switch to commander position, hit the "re-load ammo" button from the menu, and let the AI take care of it. 
If you use the Abrams as the "base" model, I found that The Leo and T-72 took more time to get used to than the Challenger.  The Leo calculates lead differently, and you always have to remember to hit the auto-reload button on the T-72.

Love the smoke rounds on the challenger, btw....
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 22, 2014, 03:26:17 PM
Jeebus Nef! You are approaching Armored Warfare like Airbus is approaching flight : one button to do everything! :)
Where is the fun in that? Compared to fighting in the T-72, the Leo 2 is a ergonomics freak's wet dream for crying out loud! :D

Well sure.  At least it's got that new-fangled fire control computer system and such.  I just didn't like holding down my Mouse Wheel button while tracking & shooting on the Leo 2.  Feels weird.  It wasn't an issue with the Abrams because you only use the MMB to dump the lead computing - not hold it down.

Maybe I should remap the P/MMB Palm Switch key to something closer to the WASD and Spacebar and just use that instead.  I already remapped the Magnification and Thermal switches over there (they were scattered across the keyboard in a bad layout) but there is often multiple key commands that use the same key by default.  So it can be a bit of a pain sorting through the list & double-checking to make sure you got them all switched.

JudgeDredd

Practiced half of the gunnery tutorials with the Challenger 2 and yeah - it was pretty cool.

Firing in TOGS mode with the AI TC handing targets was weird and I'm not sure I've mastered that - I used ALOT of rounds and occasionally lost the aiming reticule! But I'll read up some more

I suppose reading up some and actually playing instead of looking and worrying is the way to go - who would've thunked it, eh?  :idiot2:
Alba gu' brath

Asid

Quote from: Nefaro on July 22, 2014, 09:59:30 PM

Maybe I should remap the P/MMB Palm Switch key to something closer to the WASD and Spacebar and just use that instead.  I already remapped the Magnification and Thermal switches over there (they were scattered across the keyboard in a bad layout) but there is often multiple key commands that use the same key by default.  So it can be a bit of a pain sorting through the list & double-checking to make sure you got them all switched.

You quickly get used to the few keys you use and you can remap them. Have you played DCS? keys?  :o sooo many combos. It's crazy  :uglystupid2:

Regards
War in Pieces

Asid

Hey Judge

I have a mission for you..Give me a minute

Regards
War in Pieces

Asid

Challenger 2 Mission

OK I modified an existing mission. I replaced the M1's with Challenger 2's

The mission is an attachment to this post.
1. Unzip the attachment.
2. Drop it into this folder: "C:\Users\xxx\Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\My Scenarios" Where "xxx" is your username.

Brief

Map

Regards
War in Pieces

JudgeDredd

Thanks.

What "role" do I play? Gunner? TC? PC? CC?
Alba gu' brath

Asid

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 23, 2014, 08:03:13 AM
Thanks.

You choose. Because it's a single player mission (it can be played in multi) you are the CO and can jump from vehicle to vehicle or position.

I am on TS now if you want to try it or have any questions.

Regards
War in Pieces

Asid

Using the editor

If you find a mission that does not have the vehicle you want to use just start the Editor and select/change the unit types you want. You cannot change/edit all missions. Remember to save the edited scenario as a different file name to prevent overwriting the original.

Creating/replacing units

Open Mission editor
If asked "Open mission Does not have a navmesh create?" Select yes

To replace an existing unit
1.   Right click on the unit you want to change and select "set unit type".
2.   Choose the unit you want from the menu.
3.   Save

To create a new unit
1.   Right click on map where you want the unit
2.   Select new unit in the menu
3.   select the unit you want
4.   Save

Remember to save the modified mission under a different name to prevent overwriting the original file.

War in Pieces

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Asid on July 23, 2014, 08:12:52 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 23, 2014, 08:03:13 AM
Thanks.

You choose. Because it's a single player mission (it can be played in multi) you are the CO and can jump from vehicle to vehicle or position.

I am on TS now if you want to try it or have any questions.

Regards

lol - thanks, but I'm at work!
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Asid on July 23, 2014, 08:14:04 AM
Using the editor

If you find a mission that does not have the vehicle you want to use just start the Editor and select/change the unit types you want. You cannot change/edit all missions. Remember to save the edited scenario as a different file name to prevent overwriting the original.

Creating/replacing units

Open Mission editor
If asked "Open mission Does not have a navmesh create?" Select yes

To replace an existing unit
1.   Right click on the unit you want to change and select "set unit type".
2.   Choose the unit you want from the menu.
3.   Save

To create a new unit
1.   Right click on map where you want the unit
2.   Select new unit in the menu
3.   select the unit you want
4.   Save

Remember to save the modified mission under a different name to prevent overwriting the original file.
Thanks for this
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: Asid on July 23, 2014, 07:06:33 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 22, 2014, 09:59:30 PM

You quickly get used to the few keys you use and you can remap them. Have you played DCS? keys?  :o sooo many combos. It's crazy  :uglystupid2:

Regards

Yes, I've played the DCS sims.  The real pain with their keymapping is having to do it for each separate aircraft type in Flaming Cliffs.  The hi-fi ones aren't as bad since you can just click the appropriate stuff in the cockpit, although I'm not sure if the extra dev time spent creating those are worth it since they still don't have a good dynamic campaign system.  I'd rather it be spent there.

Re-mapping the stuff in SBPro is no biggie.  I'm only switching three pairs to make it more efficient so I don't have to look down at the keyboard while reaching back & forth as much.

I still have yet to learn arty & infantry/IFV details.  Mostly just getting familiar with the interface & it's commands.

Asid

Quote from: Nefaro on July 23, 2014, 10:00:22 AM

I still have yet to learn arty & infantry/IFV details.  Mostly just getting familiar with the interface & it's commands.

Here's a demo for infantry http://www.steelbeasts.com/Downloads/p13_sectionid/258/p13_fileid/2544

Infantry mount/dismount DEMO (3.002)
Description: This scenario demonstrates the new mount/dismount behavior of infantry, and how to get infantry to do just about anything you want them to do in regards to mounting, dismounting, and moving along routes with and without their parent PCs.

All you need to do is run the demo and watch in test mode (time acceleration is probably good), then if you see them do some behavior you like just evaluate the condition and settings on their routes and duplicate that in your scenario.

Regards
War in Pieces