Main Menu

Pike & Shot

Started by DennisS, July 09, 2014, 12:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Sounds like a strategy for EU.

TheCommandTent

The units in the screenshots remind me of 2mm Pike and Shot miniatures I've see online before.

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

I dig the graphics...they look almost as good as the minis!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

Wow. Will be watching this.

Bletchley_Geek

Grim.Reaper

I guess in the end, as long as the gameplay is fun and good, could care less about the graphics:)  Saw in another place someone mentioned possible beta starting sometime in the Summer.

DennisS

Looking carefully at Slitherine's site, I do have a couple of questions.

It does mention that in the randomized games, you will be able to choose your army, or have the computer choose it for you.

It doesn't specifically mention build points. As an old school miniatures player (1,500 point armies from Wargame Research Groups' army lists) THIS is what I want. Seriously..I was playing miniatures back in the mid '60's.

I love tinkering with armies. Dominion 4 is my latest interest, with their virtual limitless variety, and I would love to see this here as well.

Clearly, if you were the Swiss, in the 16th century, the centerpiece of your army would be the pike...but I want to have the ability to, within limitations, try different configurations.

Lord Zimoa

Hi guys,

Pike & Shot is designed by Byzantine Games (Richard Boldley Scott, who also designed the table top rules system Field of Glory Renaissance) and The Lordz Games Studio who is taking care of all the art, maps and other media.

The screenshots are very early ones of one of the first Alpha builds. But the game is a bit of a dark horse and we have been working for a while now in the background on it, the game is catered around the 30 Years War time period. Additional expansions will allow you to explore the English Civil War and the 16th century Italian Wars. Very fun new game series that will hopefully surprise a few.

Last weeks we have been undertaking a big revamp on the units and terrain and you are correct the game`art style is inspired by contemporary paintings, lithographs and sketches.

Here is the game page:

http://www.slitherine.com/games/pike_shot_pc

I will try to keep you updated from to time, we are all working hard to get the game into Beta this summer. To be continued...

Anguille

That's the kind of battles i want to play...

FlickJax

Oh dear, I am loving all these new turn based games. I need 48 hour days.....

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Lord Zimoa on July 10, 2014, 01:17:59 AM
Hi guys,

Pike & Shot is designed by Byzantine Games (Richard Boldley Scott, who also designed the table top rules system Field of Glory Renaissance) and The Lordz Games Studio who is taking care of all the art, maps and other media.

The screenshots are very early ones of one of the first Alpha builds. But the game is a bit of a dark horse and we have been working for a while now in the background on it, the game is catered around the 30 Years War time period. Additional expansions will allow you to explore the English Civil War and the 16th century Italian Wars. Very fun new game series that will hopefully surprise a few.

Last weeks we have been undertaking a big revamp on the units and terrain and you are correct the game`art style is inspired by contemporary paintings, lithographs and sketches.

Here is the game page:

http://www.slitherine.com/games/pike_shot_pc

I will try to keep you updated from to time, we are all working hard to get the game into Beta this summer. To be continued...

Do you think this will have any chance of being released this year?  I also noticed, unless I missed, there are no forums setup for this game for discussion......all of your other "coming soon" games seem to have one so wasn't sure why this one did not.  Unless, it is still a long ways off.  Thanks.

Lord Zimoa

All the announced games are for release within 2014, but more news soon.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

panzerde

This one can't get released soon enough for me.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

ByzantineGames

Quote from: Bletchley_Geek
On the other hand, browsing the image gallery, Image #3 picked up my attention, where we can see several Tercios firing at each other at what would look like somewhat implausible distances and with some dodgy line of fires (the Imperial Tercio with oblique facing seems to be firing across the other Tercio in front of it).

We are aware that the shooting ranges in the game are somewhat overgenerous. However, experience has shown that gamers do not like very short move distances, nor very short shooting ranges - however realistic they might be. In order to give the opportunity for several rounds of shooting against advancing enemy, the long musket shooting range needs to be equal to the mounted movement speed and double the normal infantry movement speed. To achieve this without reducing the infantry move to 1 square and cavalry to 2 squares, we have had to be generous with shooting ranges. Note, however, that shooting at long range is at half effect, so units will generally want to get closer to shoot effectively.

The LOS algorithm assumes that units in chequerboard have gaps between the units  through which shooting can occur.

Units cannot shoot at targets more than 45 degrees from straight ahead. At targets more than 22.5 degrees from straight ahead, they shoot at half effect, because not all of the front rank can bring their muskets to bear.

So, a unit shooting at long range at a target more than 22.5 degrees from straight ahead would shoot rather ineffectually at 1/4 effect.