News from Ukraine Conflict

Started by bayonetbrant, May 07, 2014, 09:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

I wouldnt mind the idea if it galvanized the west to be more pro-active as theres really no way Russia could deal with it.
I dont however see that happening.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Mr. Bigglesworth

I know what you mean. I am with you.

It could happen, all you need is some ornery Clint Eastwood type. "I know what you're thinking. Will he send a carrier group or all of them with all his bombers? Do you feel lucky Punk?"  ^-^
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

GDS_Starfury

but thats the reality of it.  they dont have the carrier group, they dont have the bombers.  FFS we have more Burkes alone then their entire navy.
all it takes is the will to say enough is enough.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Staggerwing

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 29, 2014, 11:42:32 PM
but thats the reality of it.  they dont have the carrier group, they dont have the bombers.  FFS we have more Burkes alone then their entire navy.

Which is why we are discussing a Land War in Asia, not repulsing a Soviet amphib invasion of the Baltics. Putin will play to his strengths (sneaky proxy wars with short supply lines leading to a 36hr fait accompli when the time comes) as opposed to large scale maneuver war against a well armored enemy with overwhelming air superiority.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 30, 2014, 05:26:37 AM
Which is why we are discussing a Land War in Asia,....

Ooooooo.... never fight a land war in Asia.....

Gusington

The really, really disturbing geopolitical facet of this is Germany's acquiescence to Russia. It feels like the Germans are almost living vicariously through the Russians, almost admiring what they are doing. Almost.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

GUs, I think it's the other way around. The PC crowd is so loud in Europe these days that the Germans are afraid to stand up to the Russians because of all the "bad stuff" that happened 70+ years ago. They don't want to be seen as the bad guys again.....

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 29, 2014, 11:42:32 PM

Not them, us.

GDS_Starfury

Gusington

Not sure why the Germans are behaving the way they are Bart, but it creeps me out. Is the power of PC that strong in Europe?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

pawelj

Quote from: Gusington on July 30, 2014, 07:45:12 AM
The really, really disturbing geopolitical facet of this is Germany's acquiescence to Russia. It feels like the Germans are almost living vicariously through the Russians, almost admiring what they are doing. Almost.
I think Angela was trying to limit economic fallout to Germany if at all possible, but she has made relatively robust statements in comparison to the rest of Europe. I don't think given her background of growing up in East Germany, she has any illusions about Russia under the current regime. She is playing a balancing act between what needs to be done vis a vis Russia and the voting public.
Cameron today compared the position of Ukraine to Poland and Belgium in 1939 and 1914. I feel there will be some interesting events while I'm on holidays.
"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill

Centurion40

If the Russians actually invade Ukraine, can they avoid total economic collapse?  I mean how effective is their army, really?  I understand that man-for-man, tank-for-tank the Ukrainians are no match for the Russians; but the would not the economic fall-out for Putin be dire?
Any time is a good time for pie.

pawelj

Quote from: Centurion40 on July 30, 2014, 10:59:34 AM
If the Russians actually invade Ukraine, can they avoid total economic collapse?  I mean how effective is their army, really?  I understand that man-for-man, tank-for-tank the Ukrainians are no match for the Russians; but the would not the economic fall-out for Putin be dire?
Russia has the numbers and some better equipment, but Ukrainians have been getting better and now have fighting experience. If NATO were to say that military option is a possibility in the event of Russian invasion of Ukraine, that would be pretty much that for a Russian possibility of an invasion.
"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill

Windigo

Quote from: Centurion40 on July 30, 2014, 10:59:34 AM

They now have fossil fuel deals with China....
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Mr. Bigglesworth

They have a couple years to build the pipeline to China IIRC.

They will let the Ukraine military slowly "win" against the rebels, pushing to the Russian border. Then they will cut them off from the South and the North. If they destroy most of the ground forces they will have the country.

Then we give them cold shoulder. They say "We can work with this! On to Moldova."