Author Topic: Total War Warhammer II or Not?  (Read 391 times)

Online ArizonaTank

• Man-at-Arms
Total War Warhammer II or Not?
« on: March 15, 2019, 02:19:02 PM »
Generally I love the Total War games....I am a veteran going way back to the first Shogun.

I have Total War Warhammer I and frankly it is not my favorite among the series. I even invested in some of the DLC and that did not really make it better for me.

Now I see that Total War Warhammer II is on sale at Steam.  I almost hit the purchase button. 

But before I do...I want to ask my fellow grogs...is it worth it?  Is it so much better than Total War Warhammer I that it makes sense to buy?

"Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden."   Grantland Rice, New York Herald Tribune, October 18th, 1924. 

Notre Dame wins at Army, 13 - 7, Oct. 18, 1924

Notre Dame undefeated 1924
Coach: Knute Rockne

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
Re: Total War Warhammer II or Not?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 02:35:56 PM »
Hm. If you already have TW1, TW2 does have an advantage that neither one has alone: you can mega-campaign both maps and all the factions (both playable and non-playable) together.

Is that, or TW2 by itself, going to overcome your problems with TW1? My educated guess is, probably not. It's more of the same but different, so to speak.
FIRE IN THE GROGS TOO -- a four-player full team mp of GMT's Vietnam War boardgame Fire in the Lake, recreated in TTS.

The GROGPUBLIC OF ROME ongoing forum game thread

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline Yskonyn

• Condottieri
  • The Flying Dutchman
    • Visit my blog: Yassy HQ for various things combat simulation.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 02:21:53 AM »
What Mr. Pratt said.

If TWW1 didnt really do it for you then I guess if the allure of being able to play the monster map with 2 and 1 combined, isnít doing it for you either, there is no sense in buying 2.
Goodwill's Grogheads Battletech Campaign GM
"I'd prefer to make my own rolls whenever possible, but running a group thing online can be a little like herding cats :P" - mirth

Online ArizonaTank

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 09:18:23 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys
"Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden."   Grantland Rice, New York Herald Tribune, October 18th, 1924. 

Notre Dame wins at Army, 13 - 7, Oct. 18, 1924

Notre Dame undefeated 1924
Coach: Knute Rockne

Offline solops

• Viking
  • Woof!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 10:41:22 AM »
I did not care for WH1 either, but for some reason I like WH2 better. Rome2 is still my favorite. I just wish it had some of the UI changes from later games.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 12:52:04 PM »
I am like you, Tank...and a bit like solops...I have been playing since Shogun (2000).

At first, TW: Warhammer did not grab me either until I put in dozens of hours and then, finally, I played Norsca...that faction clicked with me and I really enjoyed it.

I did not enjoy the Vampire Counts faction as much as I expected to.

When I am in a fantasy mood, I enjoy the game. Even then, though, some of the units are really too 'out there' for me. Shogun 2 is still my favorite of the series, followed probably by Rome 2 and all its iterations, followed by the Warhammer games.

I am still looking forward to playing a Dwarves campaign (Warhammer I), a Dark Elves campaign (Warhammer II), and a Mortal Empires campaign as The Empire. I have a feeling I will enjoy the Mortal Empires campaign as The Empire the best as it is not too 'out there.'
"Grogheads should be the only tribe on this site.Ē

- Besilarius, Community Sage