GrogHeads Forum

Tabletop Gaming, Models, and Minis => Forum-Based Games => Topic started by: Barthheart on November 03, 2014, 10:42:25 AM

Title: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 03, 2014, 10:42:25 AM
Would anyone be interested in playing a game of Ambush1 by forum?

The idea would be for 8 of you to play the US squad members as they battle their way through the Germans in Western Europe. I would operate the Germans and game systems through the board game Ambush! It's normally a solitaire game but I thought this might be fun/interesting along the lines of the B-17 and B-29 AARs we've been reading.

We'd start by setting up the squad, playing through at least one mission. If we lose troops along the way others can be recruited.

I'd be posting the map and you all would give me what your orders are for your soldier. Orders are carried out one soldier at a time based on initiative. I can explain the rules as we go. It's pretty simple game but lots of fun.

Squad make up looks something like this:

SSGT (Squad Leader) : Undercovergeek - Initiative: 4, Perception: 6, Weapon Skill: +1, Driving Skill: 8, Movement points: 4, Command radius: 2.
SGT (Asst. Sq. Leader) : Banzai_Cat - Initiative: 3, Perception: 6, Weapon Skill: +1, Driving Skill: 4, Movement points: 4, Command radius: 2.
CPL : mirth - Initiative: 3, Perception: 6, Weapon Skill: 0, Driving Skill: 8, Movement points: 4.
PFC : bob48 - Initiative: 2, Perception: 5, Weapon Skill: -1, Driving Skill: 4, Movement points: 4.
PFC : Double Deuce - Initiative: 2, Perception: 2, Weapon Skill: +1, Driving Skill: 2, Movement points: 4.
PVT : Staggerwing - Initiative: 1, Perception: 3, Weapon Skill: 0, Driving Skill: 0, Movement points: 3.
PVTJudgeDredd- Initiative: 1, Perception: 2, Weapon Skill: -1, Driving Skill: 6, Movement points: 3.
PVTSDR- Initiative: 1, Perception: 3, Weapon Skill: +1, Driving Skill: 4, Movement points: 3.

The first mission would be this:
D-Day Night Drop to Destiny
D-Day, 6 June 1944. In the early morning, your squad’s parent unit is paratrooping on to the Cotentin Peninsula in support of the US landings at Utah Beach. Your squad has been assigned to capture, intact, two bridges in a small hamlet near the town of Carentan. Opposition is expected, although reconnaissance has shown no presence of tanks or heavy weapons in the immediate vicinity of the drop zone.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 03, 2014, 10:57:23 AM
im in - assign me as necessary
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 03, 2014, 10:59:56 AM
im in - assign me as necessary

You wanna be in charge?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 03, 2014, 11:22:11 AM
Am I giving orders to the other guys?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 03, 2014, 11:29:15 AM
Sounds interesting. Sign me up also.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: mirth on November 03, 2014, 11:36:38 AM
In
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 03, 2014, 11:57:37 AM
Am I giving orders to the other guys?

No really... I say you get final say on any decisions that come up.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 03, 2014, 12:01:20 PM
Great! I need you three to give me some die rolls so we can get you some personal stats.

I need 3 1d10 rolls each please.

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 03, 2014, 12:44:55 PM
I'm in as a squaddie.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 03, 2014, 12:53:07 PM
Cool! need 3 x 1d10 from you too.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on November 03, 2014, 12:53:26 PM
I'm in too if there's still room.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 03, 2014, 12:53:46 PM
Sure thing!

 O0
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 03, 2014, 12:54:42 PM
Just 3 more and we can get started.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 03, 2014, 12:56:59 PM
If you want, use this site:

http://www.roll-dice-online.com/

then choose the number of sides, the number of dice, and how many times to roll 'em.

Edit: if that's an acceptable die-rolling mechanism, my results were:

8 7 4
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 03, 2014, 01:02:00 PM
If you want, use this site:

http://www.roll-dice-online.com/

then choose the number of sides, the number of dice, and how many times to roll 'em.

Edit: if that's an acceptable die-rolling mechanism, my results were:

8 7 4

Good as any. Thanks.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 03, 2014, 01:02:41 PM
I'm at work otherwise I'd be rollin' some real dice.

And yes, I don't keep a set of polyhedral dice at work, though this probably needs some rectifyin' soon.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on November 03, 2014, 01:05:47 PM
4 - 8 - 1  . . .  that 1 is either really good or it's gonna be a short war.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 03, 2014, 01:07:42 PM
Used the D10 out of Ghost Panzer, ;D

9 - 2 - 5
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 03, 2014, 01:11:31 PM
4 - 8 - 1  . . .  that 1 is either really good or it's gonna be a short war.

Just don't drive any vehicles....  ;)

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 03, 2014, 01:12:53 PM
Used the D10 out of Ghost Panzer, ;D

9 - 2 - 5

And don't let bob shoot at anything near you...  O0
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 03, 2014, 01:13:43 PM
...Ooo - I do get a gun then?

Cool.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 03, 2014, 01:17:38 PM
And don't let bob shoot at anything near you...  O0

That's what she said!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 03, 2014, 01:18:52 PM
You were peeking - you naughty boy.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 03, 2014, 02:37:18 PM
1 7 8

Lol, tell me I'm blind or something
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 03, 2014, 02:39:01 PM
Only Geek could score 11 on a D10.........
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 03, 2014, 02:46:17 PM
Only Geek could score 11 on a D10.........

Crazy old man
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 03, 2014, 02:48:55 PM
Wot - you as well?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 03, 2014, 02:54:47 PM
Lol you get no gun and youre going up front
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 03, 2014, 02:57:14 PM
In that case, I'll take a pun and bring up the rear!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 03, 2014, 03:27:00 PM
In that case, I'll ... bring up the rear!

I just bet you will, sailor.

 ^-^  ^-^  ^-^
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 03, 2014, 03:53:59 PM
Bonsoir, matelot  ;)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 03, 2014, 05:36:40 PM
1 7 8

Lol, tell me I'm blind or something

Not blind... exactly... but you might miss a few things going on near you....  :coolsmiley:
Drive like a race car driver though.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 03, 2014, 07:51:21 PM
Count me in as well. How many times a day do we provide input?


EDIT: If I'm accepted in here's my D10 rolls using BC's dice app:  2 - 10 - 1
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 03, 2014, 08:10:19 PM
Count me in as well. How many times a day do we provide input?


EDIT: If I'm accepted in here's my D10 rolls using BC's dice app:  2 - 10 - 1
k

Not many times a day... Maybe once... Maybe once every other day.

As fer yer numbers... This game uses 0 to 9 from the 1d10.... so a 2-0-1 is pretty bad... Take a mulligan and try again. Else you'll mostly be standing around being a target.....
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 03, 2014, 08:36:13 PM
Thanks. Here's round 2: 7 - 5 - 10

Gusss I'm doomed to suck at at least 1 trait. Per a quick scan of the rules it looks like I won't be driving any German war prizes back to base.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 03, 2014, 08:37:55 PM
Yeah that's much better.  8)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 04, 2014, 05:41:40 AM
Thanks. Here's round 2: 7 - 5 - 10

Gusss I'm doomed to suck at at least 1 trait. Per a quick scan of the rules it looks like I won't be driving any German war prizes back to base.

Well... no you shouldn't ever get behind the wheel..... but you shoot better than bob so there's that....  :P
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 04, 2014, 05:44:24 AM
If the rest of ya want to see the rules you can get them here.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/66683/ambush-rules-errata-included

Attached are the game charts that include terrain effects, weapons etc.

We need 2 more bodies. This mission can be a little rough so it's best to start with 8....  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 04, 2014, 05:47:17 AM
I wonder if GJK and/or Jarhead would be interested. They were in on the B-29 game I did and I think they're in the B-17 game PE is doing.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 04, 2014, 05:56:04 AM
I wonder if GJK and/or Jarhead would be interested. They were in on the B-29 game I did and I think they're in the B-17 game PE is doing.

They are both welcome. This is a little more participation than your AAR's though, some just don't have the time.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 04, 2014, 06:07:43 AM
Mirth! Still need 3 1d10 numbers from you.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 04, 2014, 07:17:30 AM
I'm at work and can't "roll"...so I used the website linked by BC

Die rolls are 5 - 2 - 8

So bob is bringing up the rear and he's not to shoot at anyone...interesting story in there I'm sure  :o
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 04, 2014, 07:24:00 AM
I'm at work and can't "roll"...so I used the website linked by BC

Die rolls are 5 - 2 - 8

So bob is bringing up the rear and he's not to shoot at anyone...interesting story in there I'm sure  :o

Welcome aboard JD!

You squads mates might not want to be near you when you have a weapon either.... but if you can pay attention you might make a good get away driver....
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 04, 2014, 07:29:56 AM
lol - middle number is firing then?  :'(
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 04, 2014, 07:46:10 AM
I'm in if you still need bodies.

5 10 2.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 04, 2014, 07:46:25 AM
lol - middle number is firing then?  :'(

Yep.  ;)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 04, 2014, 07:54:18 AM
I think it's perception, shooting, driving

For me I'm a marksman who can drive us through a flaming hoop, I just have no fkng clue what's going on
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 04, 2014, 08:01:04 AM
I'm at work and can't "roll"...so I used the website linked by BC

Die rolls are 5 - 2 - 8

So bob is bringing up the rear and he's not to shoot at anyone...interesting story in there I'm sure  :o

snarf snarf snarf  :crazy2:

...which one is the safety catch again?...........
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 04, 2014, 08:04:20 AM
I think it's perception, shooting, driving

For me I'm a marksman who can drive us through a flaming hoop, I just have no fkng clue what's going on

Very perceptive of you ... oh wait....
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 04, 2014, 08:28:57 AM
So if a 10 is a 0, should I re-roll my guy's stats?   Because he seems a little...you know....retarded.

Here's the re-roll.

6 - 9 - 7
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 04, 2014, 08:33:39 AM
So if a 10 is a 0, should I re-roll my guy's stats?   Because he seems a little...you know....retarded.

How many 0's did you roll?  ??? But yes, generally you want mid to higher numbers.... especially as yer a lowly PVT. If we do more missions and you survive there is the possibility of increasing yer stats if you do lots of good things, like kill Nazi's.  O0
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 04, 2014, 08:38:35 AM
Initial rolls were at the bottom of page 3  (5-0-2)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 04, 2014, 09:01:11 AM
Initial rolls were at the bottom of page 3  (5-0-2)

Ah, missed it completely.

You're now in and we'll get the mission briefing prepped.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 04, 2014, 09:26:15 AM
Im in with a 7-7-3.  now wth are we doing?   :crazy2:
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 04, 2014, 09:42:08 AM
Im in with a 7-7-3.  now wth are we doing?   :crazy2:

Yer too late. You can join up next mission to replace someone if any get killed.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 04, 2014, 09:56:34 AM
Mission Briefing

Listen up men. You are going to parachute into a small hamlet with the main mission of capturing, intact,
2 two small bridges. We expect these bridges to be rigged with explosives so you'll need to kill all the
Germans in the hamlet or un-wire the explosives. Oh and it's night so you can only see 5 hexes out.

Normally each of you can carry 2 port boxes worth of weapons and 6 ammo slots worth of ammo and small weapons.
However, while you are jumping you will only be able to carry 1 port box worth of weapons and your normal load
of ammo. But you cannot carry bazooka rounds down with you!
Because of this we will be sending a weapons canister with you. It has 4 port boxes and 8 ammo slots.

SSGT Undercovergeek, you have 44 weapon points (WP) with which to outfit all the members of your squad and the
weapons canister. This mission will require you to move quickly and be deadly so chose your weapons well. Also
I would not count on the weapons canister landing close to your men, damn thing always seems to drift off,
so don't put anything you really need in there.

Again, because you are jumping, you are restricted to the weapons you are allowed to take on this mission.

These are the weapons you can use:

Thompson submachine gun (SMG) - 1 port box, 6 WP cost.
Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) - 2 port boxes, 8 WP cost. (can only come down in weapon canister)
M1 Carbine (M1) - 1 port box, 2 WP cost.
Bazooka - 1 port box, 8 WP cost.
.45 Pistol - 1 ammo slot, 1 WP cost.

Ammo
5 clips of SMG ammo - 1 WP cost, 5 ammo slots
5 clips of BAR ammo - 1 WP cost, 5 ammo slots
5 clips of M1 ammo - 1 WP cost, 5 ammo slots
1 bazooka round - 1 WP cost, 1 ammo slot (can only come down in weapon canister)
3 Grenades - 1 WP cost, 3 ammo slots
Ammo can be split up among many men.

You can see here a recon map of the hamlet.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/Night_Drop_Recon_large_zpsac97bd17.jpg)

Because of the wind, you will be drifting in from the east.
The 2 bridges are located on the west side of the hamlet and are marked with stars.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/Night_Drop_Recon_bridges_zpsfaea37a8.jpg)

There is a church with a high steeple on the east side of the hamlet (hex S13)... try to avoid hitting it while you are descending.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/Night_Drop_Recon_church_zps17f758fc.jpg)

There is also a fast moving, ice cold stream. Don't land in it or you will probably drown before you can get your chute off.

Don't bunch up so as to make a good large target. But don't disperse completely either. Some of you have low initiative (IN),
and will need to be near your SGT's to keep from panicking when the shit hits the fan.

OK SSGT Geek, get yer men kitted out and assign them and the weapon canister an entrance hex, 1 per hex, on the map in the boxed area.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/Night_Drop_Recon_entry_zpsd29d021c.jpg)

Any questions?



Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 04, 2014, 10:21:46 AM
Any questions?

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 04, 2014, 10:43:25 AM
I'm gonna hit that f&cking church steeple, I just know it.

I recall ALWAYS having a Soldier hit that damn thing regardless of play-through.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 04, 2014, 10:55:36 AM
I'm gonna hit that f&cking church steeple, I just know it.

I recall ALWAYS having a Soldier hit that damn thing regardless of play-through.

 :2funny:

Me too.  :buck2:

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 04, 2014, 11:49:09 AM
SSGT Geek,

Let me know if you want me to take some of the set-up responsibilities. As a good assistant squad leader should.

(One step from the captain's chair...muwahahahahaha! Ahem...I mean, Yes, Sergeant!)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 04, 2014, 12:27:03 PM
You all can start thinking about what you'd like to carry. It will speed things up when UCG gets back online.

Also start thinking up some kinds of action plans.... might not survive the drop but still nice to have an idea of what should happen when the bullets start flying....
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 04, 2014, 12:33:41 PM
We need a bazooka, a BAR, and at least two Thompsons. How UCG chooses to assign such weapons, that's up to him. Obviously give the heavy stuff to the better shooters, but IIRC you can raise stats through shooting things successfully and that's harder to do with an M-1 as opposed to a Thompson.

Best shooter that's not a Squad Leader or Asst. Squad Leader should get the bazooka. Next best should get the BAR. Everyone else, M-1s, except the two sergeants, whom should get SMGs. If there's points left, assign an SMG to the better shooters in the squad outside of the bazooka guy and the BAR guy. Also give an M-1 to the bazooka guy.

My $.02. Sorry, I'm quite excited. I haven't played this in years.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 04, 2014, 12:39:07 PM
That's cool, I'm excited to get this going too!  :D

Just remember that you can't carry a BAR down with you on a chute. It would have to go in the weapons canister. Then the soldier would need to get to the canister to get his weapon.... so he better have a back up he can use until he gets tot eh canister.

Also remember that it's night and you can only see/shoot out to 5 hexes distant.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 04, 2014, 12:42:41 PM
Ah, shoot, that's right.

I never had good luck with those weapons cannisters.

Also I'm starting to get flashbacks from that map and can't tell if they're from this mission or another one, LOL.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 04, 2014, 12:44:18 PM
Same goes for the bazooka... you can carry it with you on the jump but not the ammo for it!

This mission haunts most Ambush! players......  8)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 04, 2014, 01:23:53 PM
Is a pistol not part of the 'standard' kit (Colt 45?) especially for the guys with BAR and Bazooka?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 04, 2014, 01:25:13 PM
Barth would have to confirm, but the pistol (.45 cal) takes up an AMMO slot, not a WEAPON slot. Plus I think you get unlimited ammo with it, though it's a POS compared to the other weapons. But better than nothing.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 04, 2014, 01:29:03 PM
Yeah. Just thinking that in a case where the canister is amiss then those guys will be unarmed, so even a pistol is better'n nothing until they can get something heavier.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 04, 2014, 01:30:11 PM
Barth would have to confirm, but the pistol (.45 cal) takes up an AMMO slot, not a WEAPON slot. Plus I think you get unlimited ammo with it, though it's a POS compared to the other weapons. But better than nothing.

BC has it right. There is no "standard kit" in this game. You carry what you buy.

EDIT*** just rechecked and pistols do not have unlimited ammo.

Each gun you buy comes with ammo. You only need a replacement clip if your gun runs out... percentile roll when shooting, this includes pistols.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 04, 2014, 01:33:58 PM
Barth, can we use weapons the Germans drop? I can't recall but seem to think there were MP40 counters in the game.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 04, 2014, 01:36:30 PM
Barth, can we use weapons the Germans drop? I can't recall but seem to think there were MP40 counters in the game.

Yes you can pick up dropped enemy or friendly weapons. They come with ammo already loaded.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: GJK on November 04, 2014, 02:11:19 PM
Are you going to be doing this on a VASSAL module or just take pictures of the actual game or ?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 04, 2014, 02:12:35 PM
We need a bazooka, a BAR, and at least two Thompsons. How UCG chooses to assign such weapons, that's up to him. Obviously give the heavy stuff to the better shooters, but IIRC you can raise stats through shooting things successfully and that's harder to do with an M-1 as opposed to a Thompson.

Best shooter that's not a Squad Leader or Asst. Squad Leader should get the bazooka. Next best should get the BAR. Everyone else, M-1s, except the two sergeants, whom should get SMGs. If there's points left, assign an SMG to the better shooters in the squad outside of the bazooka guy and the BAR guy. Also give an M-1 to the bazooka guy.

My $.02. Sorry, I'm quite excited. I haven't played this in years.

seems like a cop out, but whilst sitting at the back of a meeting this is pretty much what i scribbled on a pad

im thinking we'll have to go for the weapons drop, can the BAR guy have a thompson and if he can get to the BAR drop the thompson and pick the BAR up?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 04, 2014, 02:15:09 PM
Gimme an M-1 and JD as a meat shield please.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 04, 2014, 02:34:14 PM
whats your shooting score?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 04, 2014, 02:35:00 PM
Gimme an M-1 and JD as a meat shield please.
lol - I can soak up some heat  ;D
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 04, 2014, 02:41:57 PM
ok, im thinking Double Deuce for the bazooka, and SDR for an M1 - the two best shooting guys not in command 

Thompsons for me and BC

M1s for everyone else

Stagger or Mirth for the BAR
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 04, 2014, 02:43:10 PM
Crap.  I didn't realize I was the best shot apart from the NCOs.  I can take the BAR if needed.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 04, 2014, 02:47:23 PM
medal for that man already

Double Deuce for the bazooka, and SDR for the BAR, but an M1 too in case the kit lands miles away

Thompsons for me and BC

M1s for everyone else

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 04, 2014, 03:21:00 PM
Grenades?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 04, 2014, 03:29:06 PM
yeah and ammo too - just looking at points values
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 04, 2014, 05:21:03 PM
Are you going to be doing this on a VASSAL module or just take pictures of the actual game or ?

Yeah, there's a VASSAL module. I'll use it because it's easier than taking pics of the boardgame.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 04, 2014, 06:21:15 PM
... can the BAR guy have a thompson and if he can get to the BAR drop the thompson and pick the BAR up?

Yes. Each soldier can jump with (or without) a weapon, then make his way to the weapon canister and change weapons with something that's inside.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 04, 2014, 08:00:40 PM
since I cant play I hope you cant reach the bazooka and a Panther shows up.   >:(

even better if that Panther comes out of a fog bank.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 05, 2014, 04:57:03 AM
Panthers, in fog?

I'll believe it when I see it.

Anyway, no need to worry since I'm taking a jar of pickled onions with me. One good exhalation down the into the turret and 'der panzer ist Kaput'.


......and todays word, children, is 'EXHALATION'  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 05, 2014, 05:38:33 AM
Is that good enough, Barth, or do you need Soldier-by-Soldier point spending breakdowns?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 05, 2014, 05:38:51 AM
yeah and ammo too - just looking at points values

Did Geek's brain explode while trying to add up the numbers?  ???
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 05, 2014, 05:39:22 AM
Is that good enough, Barth, or do you need Soldier-by-Soldier point spending breakdowns?

I need soldier by soldier load outs.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 05, 2014, 05:43:16 AM
Gotcha. I'll give it a shot (subject to our Squad Leader's approval of course).

Star: your ass is most certainly going to be in at some point. This game gets bloodier than mirth at a tampon convention.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 05, 2014, 06:24:45 AM
Okay, I think we need to re-think the loadout, UCG.

I recall going through this before; this mission is agonizing as you want to take so much but you can only take SO much. We, I think, have to eschew either the Bazooka or the BAR. I recommend not bringing the BAR because if you and I each have an SMG, we have some good auto-weapon support, and it saves us a buttload of points. You and I each get an SMG, and each squaddie (including DD) gets an M-1.

The Container will get a Bazooka and three rounds of Bazooka ammo. Why do it this way? It's kind of pointless to drop DD with a bazooka and nothing else (you can only drop with one weapon port). You can't drop with Bazooka ammo so it's a real leap of faith to assume that damn container won't float into the middle of an SS party. It's much better to have everyone able to hit the ground able to fight immediately instead of groping in the dark for containers or French bewbs.

The points we save means everyone gets plenty of ammo and we can even distribute six grenades as well.

I've created an Excel spreadsheet but I can't figure out how to attach the file - I've seen others do that in this forum but strangely for the life of me I can't find a function to do that. If someone knows, please share that info with me. Meanwhile I'll have to share a screenshot instead:

(http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r624/MichaelE6/AmbushScrn.jpg)

Only reason I didn't assign grenades to bawb and JD is because of their -1 WS, but we can reallocate if you want. It might be the only way they can kill something.  :2funny:

Speaking of, SDR should probably get that extra grenade.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 05, 2014, 06:27:30 AM
Can't see the screenie  :P

Fixed  :)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 05, 2014, 06:28:44 AM
Terrific. I can see it and now I wonder how many Photobucket images I've attached that nobody can see.

So, anyone, let me know how to attach a file. :)

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 05, 2014, 06:30:16 AM
What are the abbreviations?

Initiative, Perception, Weapon Skill, Driving Skill,  MP?, CR?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 05, 2014, 06:31:27 AM
What are the abbreviations?

Initiative, Perception, Weapon Skill, Driving Skill,  MP?, CR?

MP is movement points, CR is command range.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 05, 2014, 06:32:34 AM
Oh, so you CAN see it? :P

Sorry, should have clarified that:

IN = Initiative
PER = Perception
WS = Weapon Skill
DS = Driving Skill
MP = Movement Points
CR = Command Radius


Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 05, 2014, 06:32:51 AM
Terrific. I can see it and now I wonder how many Photobucket images I've attached that nobody can see.

So, anyone, let me know how to attach a file. :)

Pretty sure you can't attach excel files. If you make it into a pdf or a word doc then you can attach it.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 05, 2014, 06:38:54 AM
Just curious BC, why the bazooka and three rounds and not a BAR and 5 clips? Same price in WP's.... Bazookas take longer to load and there aren't expected to be any armour in this mission according to the briefing....

Other than that, it all looks good and adds up. Once you all have agreed on this I need you all to assign yourselves, or the SL and ASL can assign, an entry hex from Y6 to Y15. Then I can do the landing procedure.... :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 05, 2014, 07:06:00 AM
Just curious BC, why the bazooka and three rounds and not a BAR and 5 clips? Same price in WP's.... Bazookas take longer to load and there aren't expected to be any armour in this mission according to the briefing....

Other than that, it all looks good and adds up. Once you all have agreed on this I need you all to assign yourselves, or the SL and ASL can assign, an entry hex from Y6 to Y15. Then I can do the landing procedure.... :coolsmiley:

Yeah, well, briefings aren't always all-inclusive. :)

I just did that as something to get out there. Perfectly willing to alter it if anyone wants. Also, the BAR and 5 clips is only 9 WP while the Bazooka and three rounds is 11 WPs. So if we did that we'd save 2 WPs though I don't know how we'd spend it. We could replace the Bazooka with the BAR.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 05, 2014, 07:20:57 AM
Not trying to change your mind, just curious.

Also, grenades are always your friend... just saying.... ;) But don't give Bob or JD any...  :o
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 05, 2014, 07:28:21 AM
You think I might get confused and throw pickled onions and suck grenades, eh? :idiot2:
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 05, 2014, 07:29:36 AM
Sorry got stuck in a meeting explaining why I don't want to go to Mozambique!

Looks great so far, I'd say the bazooka in case armour turns up, plus what do we blow the bridges with

How many points are we up to?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 05, 2014, 07:30:59 AM
I count 24 on the boys and whatever's in the crate
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 05, 2014, 07:36:51 AM
First, you are trying SAVE the bridges!

Second, look at BC's spreadsheet and you'll see he's spent all 44 WPs.

Third, hope you don't go to Mozambique!!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 05, 2014, 08:05:17 AM
Up to you, 'geek, how you want to finalize things. If you're good with the spreadsheet as is, let us know. Anyone else going on this little mission, if you have input, for goodness sake speak up too.  :D
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on November 05, 2014, 09:18:44 AM
I lean toward the Bazooka as it has HE capability for those Germans hiding in buildings or any defensive positions but I am open to either it or the BAR. Just point me to the canister when we hit the ground.   :P
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 05, 2014, 10:43:40 AM
yup lets go BC - bazooka ahoy!!

do we designate a hex for all of us or one each?

edit - obviously one each - let me look at map tonight in hotel, and come up with a cunning plan to figure who should land where
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 05, 2014, 11:05:10 AM
yup lets go BC - bazooka ahoy!!

do we designate a hex for all of us or one each?

edit - obviously one each - let me look at map tonight in hotel, and come up with a cunning plan to figure who should land where

Yeah I need one hex for each soldier and one for the weapon canister.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on November 05, 2014, 11:08:47 AM
I'm thinking we put the canister close to the middle. We need to make sure it gets secured as soon as possible after we hit the ground.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 05, 2014, 11:11:16 AM
However you choose to set us up, UCG, it won't matter generally, as we're going to randomly float down to earth and move around a lot. Putting the container in the middle, as DD suggested, is as good an idea as any as averages will hopefully keep it near our center of mass. However, this is one of the more ornery Ambush! missions since set up is so random.

I'm pretty sure that once we land, Barth does paragraph checks for the hexes we land in, so we might get creamed before we can even do anything.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 05, 2014, 11:16:22 AM
I'm not that mean!  >:(  :D

Just a word on parachute drifting. You will start in a hex and the drift either NW or SW from that hex. Then you will drift either NW or SW from that hex and so on until you land.
If you look closely at the hexes you can start from you can see the approximate routes that each start location will send you....  :coolsmiley:

 
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 05, 2014, 11:17:17 AM
Hint: Church steeples and the river are BAD landing sites.  :crazy2:
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 05, 2014, 11:19:11 AM
ALL building are bad landing sites.... but so is landing in open ground in the middle of the hamlet... or in trees.... man you guys are in trouble....   :crazy2:
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 05, 2014, 11:20:54 AM
(Sigh) Star will have his chance in the next mission, unless we're incredibly lucky.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 05, 2014, 11:23:11 AM
Time to hook up to the static line yet, sarg?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: mirth on November 05, 2014, 11:23:22 AM
I say we go with the BAR and 5 clips and use the 2 additional WP on more grenades!

You get a grenade and you get a grenade...
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 05, 2014, 11:25:03 AM
Question - can we pass ammo / grenades to other squad members?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 05, 2014, 11:26:32 AM
Question - can we pass ammo / grenades to other squad members?

Yes.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: mirth on November 05, 2014, 11:26:55 AM
Question - can we pass ammo / grenades to other squad members?

No offense Bob, but no way in hell do I want you passing me grenades :P
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 05, 2014, 11:28:35 AM
LOL - daft sod........ :2funny:
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 05, 2014, 11:28:42 AM
"Oops, mate, I pulled the pin, blimey."
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 05, 2014, 11:30:27 AM
I'm makin' a note of this. Just wait until we're in a critical situation and you need the loan of a pineapple  :tickedoff:
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 05, 2014, 11:31:23 AM
(Sigh) Star will have his chance in the next mission, unless we're incredibly lucky.

ill bring us all home dont you worry
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: mirth on November 05, 2014, 11:53:22 AM
Says the guy whose avatar is Death
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 05, 2014, 12:00:11 PM
June 5, 1944, 2200 hrs.

Airfield in Southern England

SSgt UCG has his men prepare for the trip across the channel. Each man prepares to don all the equipment he'll need to survive and complete their mission - the capture of 2 important bridges that lead off the Utah beachhead.

Here is Pvt bob48 trying to figure out why he has no grenades.

(http://www.strijdbewijs.nl/market-garden/btf242.jpg)

2230 hrs.

Each man is checked out to make sure all his gear is properly attached and accounted for.

(http://olive-drab.com/images/boots_jump_ww2_700_02.jpg)

2245 hrs.

One last rousing speech from Ike before they board the plane.

(http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/defeat/d-day-invasion-ike-101st-paratroopers.jpg)

2250 hrs.

Sgt. Banzi_Cat boards the C-47 from which he'll jump into history.

(http://usarmy.vo.llnwd.net/e2/-images/2007/05/31/5337/army.mil-2007-06-06-120442.jpg)

June 6, 1944, 0230 hrs.

The ride over is quiet... bumpy but quiet.....

(https://travisheritagecenter.org/assets/images/C-47bw.jpg)

0330 hrs.

Jump master signals the men to get ready as they approach the jump zone.

(http://vcepinc.org/D-Day_files/image007.jpg)

0337 hrs.

The invasion of France has begun for these brave men.

(http://www.combatreform.org/c47paradrop.jpg)

(http://www.507th.com/images/large-airbornejump2.jpg)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 05, 2014, 12:07:14 PM
Nice work, Barth!  O0
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 05, 2014, 12:10:33 PM
Thanks!

Everyone, feel free to contribute your own fiction to this thread.  O0
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Grimnirsson on November 05, 2014, 12:11:41 PM
Yeah, nicely done Barth! I am eager to read about the adventures of those being part of this (game sits here with all expansions on my shelf)  O0
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 05, 2014, 12:14:15 PM
Mom!  UCG's on my side of the C-47!  Make him stop touching my stuff!  I gotta go to the bathroom!!!!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 05, 2014, 12:16:36 PM
lmao

awesome Barth

i finish in an hour, will get hexes to you unless everyones happy with bazooka in the middle, me and BC on either side and then just start from the top and work down
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on November 05, 2014, 12:21:24 PM
will get hexes to you unless everyones happy with bazooka in the middle, me and BC on either side and then just start from the top and work down

Sounds good to me.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 05, 2014, 12:25:04 PM
Mom!  UCG's on my side of the C-47!  Make him stop touching my stuff!  I gotta go to the bathroom!!!!

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 05, 2014, 12:31:04 PM
The growling engines are a hammering cacophony of flooding sound, flushing all peace out of the open left-side door, which is perfect because then I can fart the nastiest, loudest, fish-and-chips-ist toot you've never heard and stink up this plane like nobody's business. Then make a stink face and eye Bob and yell something about his pickled onions.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 05, 2014, 12:38:30 PM
...unless everyones happy with bazooka in the middle, me and BC on either side and then just start from the top and work down

Hey BC... you maybe right about you and the church steeple....  :2funny:
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 05, 2014, 01:05:14 PM
Excellent stuff, bart  O0

Pwah.......BC, have you let one out, 'cause my eye's have started to water?

(http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/farting/farting-in-group-smiley-emoticon.gif)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 05, 2014, 02:34:27 PM
SSgt UCG! Hex assignments!
 C:-)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 05, 2014, 02:42:03 PM
y6 - bob
y7 - mirth
y8 - staggerwing
y9 - undercovergeek
y10 - ammo box
y11 - banzai
y12 - SDR
y13 - judge
y14 - Double Deuce

SAH!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 05, 2014, 04:27:39 PM
SAH!

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 05, 2014, 04:50:53 PM
If we survive this mission lets all get Pawnee haircuts before the next one.  O0
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 05, 2014, 04:56:21 PM
y6 - bob
y7 - mirth
y8 - staggerwing
y9 - undercovergeek
y10 - ammo box
y11 - banzai
y12 - SDR
y13 - judge
y14 - Double Deuce

SAH!

Right! I'll process yer jump tonight......  O0
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 05, 2014, 06:55:35 PM
So you're dropping me in the trees....next to JD...at night.  I've told you about his "busy" hands in the past.  Why would you do this?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 05, 2014, 06:57:13 PM
So you're dropping me in the trees....next to JD...at night.  I've told you about his "busy" hands in the past.  Why would you do this?

Nah, that's just the starting row where the counters enter the map. Each turn Barth rolls and figures which hex (NW or SW) we float into (well, some of us may 'ponce' more than float). I can't recall the landing mechanism but I think it was driven by the paragraph card and sleeve - if LAND appears when you enter a hex, you're down.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 05, 2014, 07:56:33 PM
So you're dropping me in the trees....next to JD...at night.  I've told you about his "busy" hands in the past.  Why would you do this?

Nah, that's just the starting row where the counters enter the map. Each turn Barth rolls and figures which hex (NW or SW) we float into (well, some of us may 'ponce' more than float). I can't recall the landing mechanism but I think it was driven by the paragraph card and sleeve - if LAND appears when you enter a hex, you're down.

This is correct. I have processed the landing... and it's..... interesting..... I managed to story board it so far tonight but you won't see the results until tomorrow some time.  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 05, 2014, 08:06:26 PM
Well, that's good. I was worried that I might remember some details too well and anticipate them.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 05, 2014, 11:46:24 PM
So you're dropping me in the trees....next to JD...at night.  I've told you about his "busy" hands in the past.  Why would you do this?

Nah, that's just the starting row where the counters enter the map. Each turn Barth rolls and figures which hex (NW or SW) we float into (well, some of us may 'ponce' more than float). I can't recall the landing mechanism but I think it was driven by the paragraph card and sleeve - if LAND appears when you enter a hex, you're down.

This is correct. I have processed the landing... and it's..... interesting..... I managed to story board it so far tonight but you won't see the results until tomorrow some time.  :coolsmiley:

Does interesting mean we're all stuck on the church roof?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 06, 2014, 04:18:27 AM

Does interesting mean we're all stuck on the church roof?

Or maybe we all get to find out how good our Mammalian Dive Reflex is.



Or 9 brand new sets of D10 stat rolls are needed?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 06, 2014, 05:37:30 AM
............wish I could remember where I put those grenades...........
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 06, 2014, 05:45:07 AM
............wish I could remember where I put those grenades...........

Bob, izzat a new pinkie ring? Oh, wait...
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 06, 2014, 05:45:47 AM
urgh!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 06, 2014, 08:38:52 AM
Short video of the landing.....  O0

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 06, 2014, 08:47:18 AM
You all had one of the safest landings I've ever seen playing this game... and I didn't even have to cheat it for ya.

You didn't even raise the alarm so you are in operations mode. This lets you get out of yer chutes without being shot at.

So here's the current situation (see attached). What happens now is that each soldier can act (crouch, stand, move, trade weapons etc.) Once you start moving I need to check each hex you enter to see if anything happens.

So What I need now is a listing of what you all are gonna do in order so I can check the game tonight to see when/or if something happens.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on November 06, 2014, 08:52:55 AM
Good thing someone thought to hand me an M1 before jumping even if I did land in the open surrounded by buildings and high ground. No where to hide that's for sure.   :-[
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 06, 2014, 08:55:30 AM
Good thing someone thought to hand me an M1 before jumping even if I did land in the open surrounded by buildings and high ground. No where to hide that's for sure.   :-[

Could be worse.... you could be swinging from the church steeple.....
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on November 06, 2014, 09:00:19 AM
I had to re-watch that video. At first look I thought it was me that was headed into the water. Just knew I was gonna drown.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 06, 2014, 09:11:52 AM
Ha! Nice work, Barth! What'd you use to make the video?

Also, what are you expecting from us? You want each of us to give you directions on what we want to do, or are you going to call this out with AR5 first (IIRC), then 4, then on and on?

And finally...can you list the Actions that we can take in Operations?

I can't recall if there's anything we can do for SDR's injury...I don't think there is, other than trying to keep him out of harm's way so he doesn't get himself shot.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 06, 2014, 09:15:00 AM
ha, thats awesome, i see bob nearly landed in the back of the vehicle!

wheres the ammo landed?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 06, 2014, 09:17:31 AM
^ Looks like Stagger landed on top of it on that ridge to the west of town.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 06, 2014, 09:37:19 AM
^ Looks like Stagger landed on top of it on that ridge to the west of town.

Yes Staggerwing is with the weapons canister.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 06, 2014, 09:54:07 AM
Ha! Nice work, Barth! What'd you use to make the video?

Also, what are you expecting from us? You want each of us to give you directions on what we want to do, or are you going to call this out with AR5 first (IIRC), then 4, then on and on?

And finally...can you list the Actions that we can take in Operations?

I can't recall if there's anything we can do for SDR's injury...I don't think there is, other than trying to keep him out of harm's way so he doesn't get himself shot.

I used screen shots from VASSAL, MS paint and MS Moviemaker to make the video. Really low tech, but does the job.

There's is nothing you can do for SDR's wound. Here are the restrictions on a wounded soldier:
 A wounded soldier can receive only one turn per Round. If a roll in the Action Sequence indicates that the soldier receives two turns, place his AR marker in the 1-Turn space instead.
 A wounded soldier cannot use his Weapon Skill to modify an assaulting attacker’s Hit Chance. In addition, when a wounded soldier makes an assault, there is a -2 modifier against him.
 A wounded soldier’s Port Box total is reduced to one; put an X through one box. If he is carrying two Port Boxes of equipment, he must immediately drop the contents of one Port Box. If the
      item he is carrying is a two-box item, he must drop it immediately.
 A wounded soldier cannot be given a turn or be made aware by a commander (6/3).
 There is a -2 modifier to the Base Hit Chance for a wounded soldier throwing a grenade or satchel charge.
 There is a -1 modifier to the Base Hit Chance for a wounded soldier firing a weapon.
 A wounded soldier has his Movement Point Allowance reduced to 2 for the rest of the mission. Record his reduced MPA on the Squad Record.
 A wounded soldier never receives a free stance change. The only way he can change stance is by paying a Movement Point to do so.

Most of these pertain to Action Rounds.

During Operations you can:
Move from one hex to another.
Change stance to any other stance - prone or crouching or standing
Pick up/exchange equipment from the ground/dead/canister or other soldiers
Drag inactive soldier
Prepare weapon that needs prep like HMG's or bazookas
Clear jammed weapons
Move captured Germans

The order of these becomes important when the first soldier moves to a different hex. At that point I need to check if he triggers an event or a sighting and possibly Action Rounds. Think of that as alerting the Germans.

So you all can give me a list of who does what in any order until someone moves. Then you need to tell me the exact order of every move/action so I can check to see where the fun starts.  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 06, 2014, 10:03:09 AM
can he still fire a bazooka?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 06, 2014, 10:04:26 AM
can he still fire a bazooka?

He who? SDR?

Sure. First he has to get the bazooka that is half way across the map from his current location. Then he has to drop his rifle cause he only has 1 port box now. Then he can fire it at weapon skill zero because he gets a -1 fro being wounded added to his +1 ability.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 06, 2014, 10:12:53 AM
Is it best we all make cautious moves towards where the canister is?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on November 06, 2014, 10:28:34 AM
Well then, if I understand correctly I will "stay prone and crawl NW into P12 then on to 012 if possible".
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 06, 2014, 10:34:25 AM
Yeah, sorry I forgot some information.

To move from one hex to another you need to be crouching or standing. Prone soldiers cannot move... at least in this game. Which means if you want to changes hexes you must first stand or crouch.

Also you really want all of you to agree on who does what first because if some one moves and the shit hits the fan before everyone else was ready it could be bad......  :buck2:
Coordination is key during Operations.

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 06, 2014, 11:00:14 AM
Yeah, nobody move into a new hex yet.

First you're going to want to go from Prone to Crouch.

Other than that, the only thing to do is for Stagger to raid the dropped cannister, but I don't think he can carry all the Bazooka ammo unless he drops some clips. That might be the most expedient way to get the Bazooka into DD's hands. Also, Stagger's going to want to move as it's rather exposed up on that ridge, so two birds one stone if he has the pockets for it?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 06, 2014, 11:10:32 AM
im thinking it makes more sense for SDR to be our bazooka man - hes lying on it

bob and mirth head west through trees, mad dash and then south through trees

the 4 guys in the middle to creep to the end of the forest on j15

and ill run like a bastard to catch up
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on November 06, 2014, 11:14:59 AM
First you're going to want to go from Prone to Crouch.

Other than that, the only thing to do is for Stagger to raid the dropped cannister, but I don't think he can carry all the Bazooka ammo unless he drops some clips. That might be the most expedient way to get the Bazooka into DD's hands. Also, Stagger's going to want to move as it's rather exposed up on that ridge, so two birds one stone if he has the pockets for it?

Guess its to a crouch when motioned to act then.

For the Bazooka, maybe Stagger can grab it now and I will work my way toward him and we can switch weapons then if needed. Also, if he just drags it off the high ground, his weapon should just be a hex away and he can go back for it.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 06, 2014, 11:23:41 AM
im thinking it makes more sense for SDR to be our bazooka man - hes lying on it

bob and mirth head west through trees, mad dash and then south through trees

the 4 guys in the middle to creep to the end of the forest on j15

and ill run like a bastard to catch up

SDR is not on the bazooka. Staggerwing is. SDR is hobbled in the middle of the hamlet.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 06, 2014, 12:34:35 PM
Yeah, I'm gimped.

I'm staying prone where I am and whining like a little girl.  That's pretty much my plan for the rest of this game.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 06, 2014, 01:05:31 PM
So..... who's doing what to whom? Who's gonna take that first step?  :coolsmiley:

(Detailed as possible please.)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 06, 2014, 01:20:01 PM
Staying prone, facing towards O11 (if facing matters).
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 06, 2014, 01:55:00 PM
Facing south (towards the gap in between the two buildings).

If there is any advantage in staying prone and seeing if anything triggers, and maybe cover my comrade to my left, I will do so. If not, crouch and move south between the buildings and towards where the canister is.

That OK, Bart?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 06, 2014, 03:47:40 PM
I'm crouching and heading towards staggerwing
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 06, 2014, 04:16:23 PM
Facing doesn't matter.

What does matter is the order we act in. I know in Operations it does not matter but it will matter insofar as Activations take place.

Bob and Mirth: you guys are hanging out on your own there and since we have a town of unknown between you and the rest of us, you might get together and sweep one of the buildings. I suggest that mirth moves west towards the Kubelwagen. Since that car is there, that tells me there's some officers nearby, and I bet they're in that three-hex building. Gotta watch your ass but it would take too long for someone else to move over there.

Stagger could, but I think he's good where he is, actually. He's in a great covering position and since the bridges are our main objective, perhaps he should remain there where the bazooka is. If worse comes to worse, he can grab it and use it (here's hoping he doesn't have to!).

UCG: I suggest you instead move towards me, DD, and SDR. We are in the open but we can cover you if fire comes from any of those buildings directly to our north. Say, U10 > T9 and see if anything happens and if not, then dash across the road towards SDR.

JD: I suggest you stay in place until we can approach the bridge in force.

If there's explosives on the bridges, that means there's bad guys watching over it somewhere nearby, I bet. DD and myself, once UCG gets to us, should then move west towards the bridges.

I think we need to get SDR under cover before we go stirring up hornets. I'd wait for UCG to get near us so he can cover, and then I'd crouch and move to SDR to drag him into the treeline near JD.

I'm just talking here, so if anyone doesn't like any of that, speak up! Let's get these Kraut bridges for our boys! Yeeeeeehaw!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 06, 2014, 04:22:42 PM
Sounds good to me.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 06, 2014, 04:53:39 PM
I'll stay put for now if you guys think the spot is defensible. Do I need to prep the bazooka in any way in case I need to use it? How long does it take to load a round and assume a firing posture?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 06, 2014, 05:03:33 PM
Ok - it seems I've missed this. For some reason, I didn't get updates on the thread and so I've missed 4 pages. I haven't even got the time to go over the 4 pages and see what's occurring!

Unfortunately, I'm on holiday in Scotland for the next 3 days so won't be able to take part

Sorry guys - I wasn't getting updates on the thread so I didn't know it was all kicking off and now holiday - I thought as it was kind of quiet I wouldn't be missed for 3 days.

Either continue without me until Monday or for all eternity.

Enjoy.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 06, 2014, 05:12:26 PM
^ You ain't getting out that easy, mate.

We'll handle you until you get back and promise he won't be a "meat shield."  >:D
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 06, 2014, 06:04:44 PM
Stagger: you need to first open the canister, then pick up the bazooka, then load it. If you do those things in Operations you can do them all right away.

JD: it's ok cause I'll be away for the weekend too so not much can happen until Sunday night.

Everyone: facing does not matter. You can fire in any direction. But you may not be "aware" right away.

So if you all want to do things in your hex that's great, just let me know. What is really important is for me to know who moves first and to which hex. Now you can move one soldier a bunch of hexes and SE what happens in each... or move a few soldiers one hex at a time to see happens... or some combination.
This all sounds kinda vague but as soon as the Germans active it will become much more structured with certain people having to act at certain times.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 06, 2014, 06:10:32 PM
Then I opt to hunker down, open the canister and pick up the bazooka and gather up the rounds, waiting to see what's next. Anything else in there besides the Stovepipe and rockets?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 06, 2014, 06:35:55 PM
Then I opt to hunker down, open the canister and pick up the bazooka and gather up the rounds, waiting to see what's next. Anything else in there besides the Stovepipe and rockets?

Gotcha. Good. And nope that's all you all bought.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 06, 2014, 11:29:35 PM
Cool...I'll check in on MOnday
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 07, 2014, 04:58:28 AM
im good with BCs overview

sounds like a plan
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 07, 2014, 08:28:12 AM
So what I hear so far is:

Bob staying prone. and watching for trouble.
Mirth crouching and getting ready to move west: which hex O4 or O5?
Stagger crouching, picking up bazooka into his second port box, changing 3 M1 clips for 3 bazooka rounds.
JD crouching because he can't see anything lying in the bushes and watching for trouble.
SDR saying prone and trying to act invisible.
DD crouching and thinking of moving to P12 then o12.
BC staying prone and watching for trouble.
UCG crouching and moving to U10 then T9.

Sound about right?

You have 3 soldiers with possible move orders mirth, DD and UCG. You can have 1 of these move one hex first then another hex or have someone else move a hex then go back to the first guy moving etc.

Now before you decide who moves where first lets talk about what happens when the shit hits the fan.
Moving to a new hex triggers a check to see if something happens. Different things can happen: German appear, random events (mostly flavour but sometime... exciting), nothing.

If one or more Germans appear then we switch to Action rounds.

First thing that happens there is 2 1d10 are rolled for Initiative. These rolls determine who has advantage and how many actions each play gets in the first round.

The Action Track shown here show what the rolled value will mean for each soldier.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/action_zpsf5d9e75e.png)

Say for example that you guys roll a 7 and the Germans roll a 6. We look at each of your IN values and put a marker in the proper square.
Since your roll is greater than the Germans you have the advantage and will use the yellow boxes.
UCG's IN value is 4, so under the 4 column we look for the value of the die roll, 7, and see that he will get 2 actions because the 7 is in the upper most yellow box.
If we look at DD's IN value of 2, his column shows that he will get 1 action this round.
If we look at SDR's IN of 1 we can see the he will also get one action. But his number is in a red box. This means there is a chance that he will panic. To keep from panicking he needs to be in the command range of a leader that can add his IN value to get SDR's IN to 5 or more.  Since he is in BC command range he can add BC IN to his own, but BC's IN is only 3 and not enough. Therefore SDR would panic, his mark would move down to the red box in the 1 column and he would get no actions this round.

This points out how important your leaders are and the need to be in their command radius.

The next thing that happens is we determine who of you are Aware of what is going on. To be aware you need to have a Line of Sight (LOS) to the German(s) and you have to pass a Perception test. Do pass you need to roll equal to or less than your Perception rating. If you fail you can't do any actions that round. This is only checked for the first 2 rounds, after that even the dimest of you will figure out something is up from all the gun fire.

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 07, 2014, 08:44:56 AM
So having said all that you can see why it's important to determine who moves first in Operations. You want to get your troops in command before the Germans start popping up.
If UCG can get within 2 hexes of SDR he can add his IN as well so there is less chance for SDR to panic.

Hope that all makes sense.  :P

BC has played a lot and is remembering some good stuff, lean on him for the first bit to get going.

So what I'm looking for is something like this:

UCG moves to U10, then moves to T9. Then DD moves to P12 then Mirth moves to O4 then DD moves to O12. Just an example.
Give me a string of moves. That way I can keep checking until something happens. This will speed the checking/moving process up.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 07, 2014, 09:09:31 AM
cool, thanks for that, i figure maybe wrongly, if im furthest away, i should move first in the hope that anything that was between me and the other guys has already been triggered
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 07, 2014, 09:19:37 AM
I want to move to a Crouch from Prone, but otherwise I think everything looks good to me.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 07, 2014, 10:07:23 AM
cool, thanks for that, i figure maybe wrongly, if im furthest away, i should move first in the hope that anything that was between me and the other guys has already been triggered

This is a good idea because you have the highest IN value and a command radius. Any on in your command radius will likely not panic and you can also use your actions to give actions to other players and/or make them aware. So yes you getting to the rest is a goo idea early on.

Also assume every building has Germans in it. Crouch under windows. Try not to move in front of doors... etc.

So this is what I think you want to do:

Bob staying prone. and watching for trouble.
Stagger crouching, picking up bazooka into his second port box, changing 3 M1 clips for 3 bazooka rounds.
JD crouching because he can't see anything lying in the bushes and watching for trouble.
SDR saying prone and trying to act invisible and crying like a little girl.
BC crouching and watching for trouble.
UCG crouching and moving to U10 then T9.
DD crouching and moving to P12.
Mirth crouching then moving O4 or O5? (Tell me which)
DD moving O12.

Please check with yer squad mates.

If this is good I'll run this on Sunday night when I get back from the frozen north.

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 07, 2014, 11:52:54 AM
looking at map that seems all good
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 07, 2014, 11:55:33 AM
Roger roger.

Mirth to which hex??

Will process on Sunday night.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 07, 2014, 12:00:09 PM
does '5' offer more cover?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 07, 2014, 12:01:12 PM
does '5' offer more cover?

Yes.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 07, 2014, 12:20:31 PM
et voila
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 07, 2014, 12:24:28 PM
Okey doke.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 09, 2014, 07:06:29 PM
So, all your moves happened without incident.

Please tell me what your next moves are.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap18a_zps7893c53d.png)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 09, 2014, 07:40:09 PM
Should DD and/or B_C try to drag SDR into the trees in N12 to hide him? If a German spots one of us does that automatically trigger some kind of wider alert and activation?


I could start to work my way closer to the RR bridge so I can get eyes on it.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 09, 2014, 07:52:08 PM
SDR is only wounded. He doesn't need to be dragged. Make him get up and move himself. Putting too many guys in one hex is bad..... Grenade magnet.

If a Geman activates things will get.... exciting for everyone pretty quickly.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 09, 2014, 11:31:39 PM
Where am I?  :)

I see I'm in N14

I presume I have no LoS? If so, might I suggest I move to M14?

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 10, 2014, 05:57:48 AM
I want to wait on UCG so he can be covered if the stool hits the wind device, but that's if he's headed over to SDR, DD, and I.

If not, I want to move P12 > O12 > N11.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 10, 2014, 06:43:56 AM
yeah, i was planning on a 'everyone hunker down until i get there' move
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 10, 2014, 06:50:42 AM
I use my one lovely action point/turn to crouch. 
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on November 10, 2014, 08:53:29 AM
I will continue to crouch in my current location, providing cover for SDR and BC should they be moving. That should also allow me to cover UCG if he heads west towards us. Hopefully I can put myself up against the "cliff" and scan the buildings surrounding the open area to my north and east.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 10, 2014, 10:55:54 AM
OK Ssgt UCG, it looks like everyone is gonna wait fer you to catch up. SDR is gonna crouch. JD might move to M14 after yer done.

Please give me a list of 3 or 4 hexes you would like to move through.. in order.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 10, 2014, 11:33:20 AM
A touch of the crouches for me until the boss gives the OK to move.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: mirth on November 10, 2014, 11:36:39 AM
A touch of the crouches for me until the boss gives to OK to move.

likewise pour moi.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 10, 2014, 11:36:59 AM
A touch of the crouches for me until the boss gives to OK to move.

Got it.  O0
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 10, 2014, 12:38:35 PM
s10, r10, q11 looks good
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 10, 2014, 01:09:06 PM
OK...
SDR crouches, bob crouches. other continue to crouch.
UCG moves S10, then R10, then Q11.
If nothing happens JD move to M14.
If nothing happens BC moves P12, then O12, then N11.

Good?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 10, 2014, 02:59:00 PM
theres going to be action, i can feel it in me bones
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 10, 2014, 03:58:57 PM
Some hot crouching action punctuated by the occasional creak from Bob's knees.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 10, 2014, 04:00:38 PM
theres going to be action, i can feel it in me bones

Ha.

Hahahahaha!

AAhhahahahahahahaha!

Err...oh yeah, there will be. :)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 10, 2014, 04:07:58 PM
theres going to be action, i can feel it in me bones

Ha.

Hahahahaha!

AAhhahahahahahahaha!

Err...oh yeah, there will be. :)
sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - you'll give your position away.

Don't move me yet - I'm performing some "personal admin"  ;D
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 10, 2014, 04:09:05 PM
JD, I don't think that is covered in the Ambush! rules...
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 10, 2014, 04:12:02 PM
Some hot crouching action punctuated by the occasional creak from Bob's knees.

I need to rub something on them - who has the squads aveeno bottle?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 10, 2014, 04:14:54 PM
I accidentally loaded it into the bazooka thinking it was a rocket.

Won't the first German tank be surprised when it gets hit...
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 10, 2014, 04:17:29 PM
I accidentally loaded it into the bazooka thinking it was a rocket.

Won't the first German tank be surprised when it gets hit...

At least it'll soften the armour up a bit..........
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 10, 2014, 04:19:19 PM
Maybe the TC will get Pirate Eye and lose SA.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 10, 2014, 06:13:41 PM
Yeeeehaaaa!  >:D

So Ssgt UCG skulks from T9 to S10. The scoots across the street in R10 and hugs the corner of the building in Q11. No response from the dark hamlet... is there anyone even here?

Meanwhile Pvt JD clambers over the small crest and goes crashing into the wooded area of M14.

Just then UCG and BC become aware of a sentry in S9. (Random event triggered by JD's move.)

Action rounds started. Only UCG and BC are aware because only they have a clear LOS see S9. Others will have to roll next round to see if they become aware.
Rolls for init give the US the advantage. But before anything else happens the condition also changes in this event. This requires that each hex occupied by a US soldier is checked to see if any other activations occur....

Pvt Staggerwing catches movement in the building to his NE, but does act. (SS General and his Aide de Camp activate in M6 from SW's hex check. Because of game instructions SW is still unaware.)

Ssgt UCG spots a second sentry in the church steeple! (Triggered by UCG's hex check.)

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap19a_zpsbefd4376.png)

Now the fun begins.... looking at this Action Round Track we see that UCG will go first, then Germans S and T, then UCG and BC get a turn, then S and T again and then finally N and X will get to act.
Then we'll roll for initiative and start the next round.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap19_zpsa320de21.png)

So Ssgt UCG you get to act first. These are the things you can do:

Give a turn: You can give this action to any aware soldier in your command radius.

Make Aware: you can make an un-wounded soldier in your command radius aware. He doesn't get an action but does not need to roll next round.

Change stance: You get 1 free stance change per round. Other changes cost 1 movement point.

Move: Use your movement allowance (MA) to move to a different hex or hexes. Each new hex you enter will be checked for an event. Crouching soldiers can only move 1 hex.

Move and Snap Shot: Move up to have your MA and conduct a hasty (less accurate) shot. Move or shoot in any order. Must be standing when moving.

Move and Charge Assault: Move up to half your MA to enter a hex containing a German and conduct and assault. Must be standing when moving.

Aimed Fire: Use your personal weapon to take an accurate shot.

Snap Fire Twice: Use your personal weapon to take 2 less accurate shots.

Throw Grenade: If you have one you can throw it. Your aim is less accurate when crouching.

Assault: Close assault and enemy in your hex.

Please tell me what your action(s) will be. If you are moving list the hexes. If changing stance tell me when and if it's your free one. If you are shooting please tell me aim/snap and the target.




Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on November 10, 2014, 11:03:44 PM
Some hot crouching action punctuated by the occasional creak from Bob's knees.

I think it's your ankle that your hearing . . .  ;)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 10, 2014, 11:10:45 PM
I can't hear that over the sound of my blubbering.

(I throw a grenade at Bawb for the endless puns he's crushed my soul with lo these many years.)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 11, 2014, 07:55:19 AM
Thanks - good job the pin is still in  :o
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 11, 2014, 08:08:11 AM
I can't hear that over the sound of my blubbering.

(I throw a grenade at Bawb for the endless puns he's crushed my soul with lo these many years.)

If you do that, I imagine most of the squad would be in your sights. :)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 11, 2014, 08:09:40 AM
pin comes out, pin goes in, pin comes out, pin goes in, pin comes out, pin.....oops, oh bugger!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on November 11, 2014, 09:07:44 AM
That sentry in the church steeple looks to be the greater threat with 4 of us in the open like we are. Since he's the only one I can possibly see atm. UCG, if I need to pop him when I can, give the word . . . I mean if you're still alive to give the word when I'm up for an action that is.   :coolsmiley:   
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 11, 2014, 09:12:29 AM
I'm probably going to have to assault that guy in the steeple; he's way too close to me and he's going to be a difficult target to hit crouched down as he is up there. I'll wait and see what happens before my turn before I act. Hopefully I don't go and get shot.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 11, 2014, 10:04:52 AM
pin comes out, pin goes in, pin comes out, pin goes in, pin comes out, pin.....oops, oh bugger!

Damn it!  I throw Bob at a grenade.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 11, 2014, 10:06:19 AM
^ That's one action for Bawb, and two actions for his mustache.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 11, 2014, 11:32:58 AM
...which leads an independent existence all of its own......
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 11, 2014, 02:09:52 PM
any advice chaps?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 11, 2014, 03:29:42 PM
Barth - what is the range of results possible for UCG if he fires on the Schickelgruber in the steeple?

Or is that too much to share that kind of info? I understand if you want to not pass on that deep of info, if that makes sense.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 11, 2014, 04:26:46 PM
If I sneak into M4 or N4, can I then lob a grenade into the building?

Oh wait!.............no sodding grenades.........
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 11, 2014, 07:59:14 PM
I'm thinking aimed fire at S9 for me first
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 12, 2014, 06:06:53 AM
Barth - what is the range of results possible for UCG if he fires on the Schickelgruber in the steeple?

Or is that too much to share that kind of info? I understand if you want to not pass on that deep of info, if that makes sense.

Sorry for the late replay.

UCG can't actually see the sentry in the steeple because of the aperture location. At that range he would have had 20% chance to get a hit. As for the range of results if he got a hit would be pin(20%), wound(30%), incapacitate(30%), kill(20%). Percentages are based on weapon type. SMG's tend to do more damage.

If you look at the charts I posted near the beginning of all of this you can look most of it up on page 2.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 12, 2014, 06:18:07 AM
I'm thinking aimed fire at S9 for me first

Aimed fire at S9. Range is 3 so short range which requires a 5 or less on 1D10. Target is crouching in a building and shot is through an aperture not adjacent to the firer so that a -4 to your 1D10.
You have a +1 weapon skill so total modifier to your 1d 10 is -3.
Final result is you require a 2 or less on 1D10. Of course there's rolling for jam before the shot and rolling for ammo expenditure after the shot as well.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/Chart_UCG_zpsd1defbe2.jpg)

Just laying this out so you can see what is involved. I'll mostly keep this stuff hidden and just do the combat and give you the results... unless you all want to see this stuff every time?

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 12, 2014, 10:21:05 AM
oooo man!!!!

i love to see the workings but itll be a pain in the ass for you

i might have to rethink the shot, whos got the better chance of a hit for me to hand my turn to?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 12, 2014, 10:28:24 AM
I think I'd need to charge and assault the guy, since hitting him through that apature is going to be tough, and only because I'm just 2 hexes away from him.

Barth, can I do that in one AR for me, when it is my turn?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on November 12, 2014, 10:30:02 AM
I'll mostly keep this stuff hidden and just do the combat and give you the results... unless you all want to see this stuff every time?

Personally, I'd just like to see the narratives. No need to clutter things up.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 12, 2014, 10:32:38 AM
I'm more liking narrative versus nuts and bolts, but sometimes my decisions will be heavily influenced by what my chances are.

Then again, soldiers didn't exactly have a chart to look at in the field to determine if they had a better shot of assaulting a dude versus tossing a grenade through an aperture.

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 12, 2014, 10:34:33 AM
this is very true BC, oh man role play it and miss or use the knowledge i have gained

BC i can gift you my turn as an action so you can get on it now
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 12, 2014, 10:36:04 AM
BC, you are 2 hexes and 1 level away from the guy in S13. That's 4 MP's (1 for clear hex, 2 to enter bldg., 1 to climb stairs), too much for one action of move & charge assault.

UCG, no one has a better shot at S9 than you. Only you and BC are active this round. BC has same shot at both S9 and S13.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 12, 2014, 10:37:36 AM
....

Then again, soldiers didn't exactly have a chart to look at in the field to determine if they had a better shot of assaulting a dude versus tossing a grenade through an aperture.

This is why I was going to keep most of it hidden.....
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 12, 2014, 10:48:11 AM
Okay then. I'll shoot the guy in S13, in the church steeple, and pray for a hit, when my turn comes.

If I run into the church he may drop a potato masher on my head.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 12, 2014, 10:53:36 AM

never mind....  :P
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 12, 2014, 10:55:48 AM
cool, im manning up with the narrative, im going to shoot the guy in S9
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 12, 2014, 10:56:08 AM
Good man!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 12, 2014, 11:07:56 AM
Ssgt UCG steadies his Thompson and lets rip with a short burst, at the sentry. Bits of wood and glass splinter around the doorway to the small house but there is no cry of pain from inside.
Your gun did not jam and you did not empty the clip, but you did miss the target.



I'll need to get home to do the actions for the Germans S and T, they use paragraphs and have stat cards that I can't use at work.

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 12, 2014, 12:08:46 PM
You're a star - can't wait
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 12, 2014, 02:34:12 PM
Obersoldat Sauer, in the steeple, quickly fires a round from his Kar98k at BC and then at SDR! The first shot strikes at BC's feet causing him to panic and drop to the ground. The shot at SDR misses by a wide margin.

At the same time, Soldat Topfer takes careful aim with a Kar98k at UCG, fires and misses! Distraught, he throws himself to the floor.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap20_zps78022cfb.png)

Your move again UCG. BC is panicked so he can't act and can't receive a turn from you. Just a hint: prone targets are harder to hit in any terrain.  
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 12, 2014, 02:43:21 PM
is his line of sight reduced if i move upto the side of the church?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 12, 2014, 03:08:38 PM
Green areas are what sentry S can see. Red are what sentry T can see.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap20a_zpse4650246.png)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 12, 2014, 03:23:30 PM
ill take a shot at S13 then
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 12, 2014, 03:44:21 PM
ill take a shot at S13 then

You can't see him. If fact you can't see either of them because T is prone in a building... sorry I just figured that out.... :-[
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 12, 2014, 03:49:29 PM
I do this.


Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 13, 2014, 12:46:04 AM
Ok, if I mad dash to r8 to come round the back of the building s9 is in, does he automatically see out of all Windows or is facing in play?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 13, 2014, 01:17:34 AM
He'll see you in R10 and R9 - he could get a shot? Is reaction fire in play in this game or doesn't it matter because he took a shot previously?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 13, 2014, 02:54:05 AM
If it was modelled I was hoping the fact that he was face down would cover me - once I'm ok with mechanics it can get back to been the cool story!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 13, 2014, 02:57:01 AM
Actually it doesn't look like he can hit you in R8 because there's no window that side (if that's how the mechanics go - which I presume they do and Barth has shown his viewpoints through the two windows in the steeple.

So if he doesn't have any reactionary fire and you can get to R8, you'll be safe I would think.

Good thinking.  O0 That must be why you're the SSGT  :P
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 13, 2014, 04:39:01 AM
it looks like a plan, until i here the tink, tink of a grenade landing next to me, and theres a window at the back i can hopefully shoot him through
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 13, 2014, 04:48:30 AM
There is no window on that side so sentry T can not see you out of hex S9.
There is no reaction fire in this game.
There is no facing. A soldier can see and shoot out any side of a hex.
The sentry in the steeple(S13) can see out 5 hexes so he can see R8, but they normally shoot the closet targets first.... ^-^
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 13, 2014, 07:02:41 AM
normally
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 13, 2014, 07:04:05 AM
I'm f&cking Sgt. Rock reincarnated, mate. I'll fire my Thompson from the hip while yelling generic insults about German heritage.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 13, 2014, 07:15:19 AM
Not until you stop whimpering like SDR......
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 13, 2014, 07:18:18 AM
That's why I'm acting tough - to cover the fact that my counter peed its cardboard pants.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 13, 2014, 08:12:51 AM
take me to R8, and ill have him from behind!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 13, 2014, 08:37:08 AM
Got it... will resolve the rest of the turn tonight.....  >:D
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 13, 2014, 09:26:00 AM
"Dear Ma and Pa...it was nice knowing you. Love, B_C."
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 13, 2014, 09:28:17 AM
"Dear Ma and Pa...it was nice knowing you. Love, B_C."
Drama queen!  :'(
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 13, 2014, 09:33:34 AM
No...drama queen would be:

Dearest Mother and Father:

As we are about to drop onto the Continent to spark the trail of freedom-burning fires throughout oppressed Europe, my thoughts are of home and hearth back on the farm. How is old Mr. Jones doing with his soda shop now that we're all over here fighting? Hopefully he has enough sweet tooths to serve. Har. Har. Har. Har. Tell Pastor Johnson that I hope he is praying for me and the boys, and for you and Pa, and for America and those suffering at the hands of the vile and evil Nazis. We shall give them what for and they won't know we're coming. Don't worry about me, I can take care of myself, plus there are some splendid fellows in my squad that shoot very well (well, some of them anyway).

Your beloved son,
B_C


 :D
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 13, 2014, 10:55:11 AM
wow...you've thought about that too much!  :P
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 13, 2014, 12:13:19 PM
Unfortunately I am capable of such prose at a moment's notice.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 13, 2014, 02:55:10 PM
You can now roll dice in the forum...

{roll}2d6{/roll}

but use straight brackets, or use the new die icon next to the YouTube icon

Note that the die roll wasn't tampered with, that warning comes up b/c I modified the post to put the instructions in above the die roll

(http://grogheads.com/forums/Themes/default/images/dice_warn.gif) This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 2d6 : 5, 3, total 8
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 13, 2014, 03:04:05 PM
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=11764.0
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 13, 2014, 04:32:26 PM
(http://grogheads.com/forums/Themes/default/images/dice_warn.gif) This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 2d6 : 6, 4, total 10
Just trying it
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 13, 2014, 06:21:42 PM
if you back to modify the post, or modify a quote with a roll in it, it'll give you a 'tamper' message
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 13, 2014, 06:23:50 PM
[blockquote]Rolled 6d20 : 18, 14, 20, 9, 11, 17, total 89[/blockquote]
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 14, 2014, 06:13:39 AM
OK, lots going on, a squillion paragraphs referenced  :o ,this will take a bit to write up... may not be until Saturday morning.... sorry for the delay.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 14, 2014, 07:59:11 AM
are we all still alive??  ???
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 14, 2014, 08:06:17 AM
No hints......

Well, ok, one hint....

More Germans!

 O0
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 15, 2014, 08:21:52 AM
Ssgt UCG slowly stands with his back pressed against the building. Taking a deep breath, he dashes around the corner up the street and crouches against the hut the sentry is in. No bullets in the back.... just cold sweat running down his spine.

At the north end of the hamlet Cpl mirth hears a muffled command in German coming from the stone building to his west. (SS General giving his action to the Aide de Camp.)

A burst from a machine pistol rips across the space from the stone building to where Staggerwing crouches next to the weapons canister. Bullets rattle off the canister but the Pvt is unhurt. Mirth then hears the distinct sound of a machine pistol being worked furiously and loud cursing in German. (German's gun jammed.)

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap21a_zps2090c685.png)

Back at the church, the sentry in the steeple takes a quick shot a BC, which just misses.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap21b_zps294d08eb.png)

The sentry then runs down the stairs and out the back door of the church.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap21c_zps554453f3.png)

The sentry in the small hut stands and takes careful aim at BC's quivering mass and slowly pulls the trigger... and misses!

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap21d_zps6c7e79ef.png)

Pfc Bob hears the crunching of boots in the gravel near the kubelwagen....

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap21e_zpse8ddb91c.png)

Pvt Staggerwing recovers from the machine pistol attack just in time to see a soldier appear from the darkness to his NW. The soldier spots Staggerwing at the same time, crouches and takes a shot with his rifle. The bullet whips by Staggerwing's ear causing him to collapse to the ground in a state of panic.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap21f_zps3fa85f4f.png)

During all this commotion, Pvt JD fails to notice a soldier, in the trees across the dirt road to the north of him, come up in a crouch and fire his bolt action rifle. Luckily the shot buries itself in a tree near JD instead of in his chest.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap21g_zps3eec70f2.png)


Some fun eh?  :D

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 15, 2014, 08:26:22 AM
Bloody hell...........

OK, can I snap off a shot at this bloke in M4?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 15, 2014, 08:33:49 AM
So the next round starts with everyone except Double Deuce and SDR aware that shit id happening.

The init roll gives advantage to the US with them rolling a 7 and the Krauts rolling a 2. Because of the red boxed numbers in the AR track some US soldiers need to check if they are in command.
B_C is in command because he has 2 other soldiers in his command radius that he can use to help keep him command. You need a total of 5 IN in your hex or command radius to keep from panicking. DD and SDR add 3 IN to B_C's 3 IN so he stays in command.
Mirth however has no command radius and is all alone anyway so he panics this round.
Same goes for Staggerwing and JD.

So, UCG you and B_C have the first actions. You can decide who acts first. Please let me know what you want to do and in what order.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap21i_zpscf62ea16.png)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 15, 2014, 08:35:27 AM
Bloody hell...........

OK, can I snap off a shot at this bloke in M4?

When your turn comes you can try... or you can jump him and try to capture him... he's worth victory points.... so is his boss.....
He'll get to act before you though....
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 15, 2014, 10:44:13 AM
I'm going to rest  :P
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 15, 2014, 10:48:59 AM
i think for BCs sanity i need to dispatch this guy in S9 first, so is S8 or T8 the square for me?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 15, 2014, 11:02:55 AM
I want to run into the church, the steeple hex specifically, to get out of the line of fire from that asshat to the north and to drop a grenade into the Nazi bastard's hex that just fled said church. Or an SMG burst. Not sure if I can do either after all that.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 15, 2014, 11:45:08 AM
prone to crouch to mad dash to maniacal smg burst from the church?!

lol
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 15, 2014, 11:54:34 AM
i think for BCs sanity i need to dispatch this guy in S9 first, so is S8 or T8 the square for me?

You can shoot the basterd for either S8 or T8. It would be a snap shot rom either but you are also adjacent....
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 15, 2014, 11:56:14 AM
I want to run into the church, the steeple hex specifically, to get out of the line of fire from that asshat to the north and to drop a grenade into the Nazi bastard's hex that just fled said church. Or an SMG burst. Not sure if I can do either after all that.

You could run into the church this action but you'd have to wait until your next action to fire/throw grenade.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 15, 2014, 12:27:36 PM
Gunfire in all directions, Kubelwagons sparking up, BC raving like a mad man and I'm still blissfully unaware?

I feel like the Sardinia-Piedmont of our little paratroop stick.  I'll get the wine.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 15, 2014, 12:58:33 PM
lmao - BC, you going first?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 15, 2014, 01:06:28 PM
...'course...if I had a couple 'o grenades..........
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 15, 2014, 03:26:05 PM
shutup and eat your pickled onions
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 15, 2014, 04:45:37 PM
I've already thrown them at an SS Obergruppenfuhrer - he's passed out!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 15, 2014, 05:43:03 PM
Alright, I'll head into the church. Northern hex of the church. I probably should not but I will.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on November 15, 2014, 11:57:43 PM
Well, it doesn't appear that I can see anyone at the moment or have a clue whats going on besides hearing gunfire, so I guess I'll move when my time comes.

Barthheart, would I have been able to see the general direction where the canister went down, relative to my position?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 16, 2014, 06:01:10 AM
If and when I stop quaking in my boots, can I move to the other side of the ridge out of the line of fire?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 16, 2014, 06:01:26 AM
Alright, I'll head into the church. Northern hex of the church. I probably should not but I will.

B_C dashes into the church below the steeple and crouches looking out the door.

UCG?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 16, 2014, 06:04:21 AM
Well, it doesn't appear that I can see anyone at the moment or have a clue whats going on besides hearing gunfire, so I guess I'll move when my time comes.

Barthheart, would I have been able to see the general direction where the canister went down, relative to my position?

You will have seen where the canister went, yes.

Next round everyone will be aware... whether they are not panicked is another thing.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 16, 2014, 06:05:03 AM
If and when I stop quaking in my boots, can I move to the other side of the ridge out of the line of fire?

Sure thing.  :)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 16, 2014, 06:38:19 AM
Alright, I'll head into the church. Northern hex of the church. I probably should not but I will.

B_C dashes into the church below the steeple and crouches looking out the door.

UCG?

To s8 to fill Jerry full of holes
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 16, 2014, 11:38:48 AM
Staff Sergeant UCG leaps up, swings around the corner of the hut, jams the barrel of his Thompson through the small window and fires a short burst. Gargled sounds from the sentry let everyone know that he won't be bothering the squad any longer.

Just to his south Sgt. B_C jumps up and dashes across the street and dives through a broken window in the church.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap22a_zpsa7c0a6e8.png)

On the west end of the hamlet, the sentry in Staggerwing's view stands up and starts running.
Just then Bob notices an SS General come sliding to a halt next to the kubelwagen.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap22b_zps6f7decc0.png)

The sentry next to the church whirls around at the sound of B_C landing in the church, crouches, takes aim and shoots at B_C. The shot goes wide.
The soldier across the path from JD throws himself back into the trees trying to hide.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap22c_zps467a6ae5.png)

The SS aide tries to fire at Bob but his gun is still jammed so he jumps under the kubelwagen.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap22d_zps153436be.png)

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 16, 2014, 11:47:22 AM
Here's the situation as it is now:

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap22e_zps7336f6ff.png)

UCG, B_C and Bob all get actions this round. Then all the remaining Germans get a go.
Next turn everyone will be aware and can possibly act... if they don't panic. This is a hint that you all should be getting near the leaders to get the benefit of their command radius and for the leaders not to leave their squad out swinging in the breeze.
Also remember your main objective is to capture the 2 bridges intact.....  ;)

Who's up?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 16, 2014, 12:14:57 PM
What's the command radius again? Also, does my position up on this ridge with the embankment between me and that nazzie in I9 give me any defensive bonus? It make more sense for me to stay closer to the bridges if I can survive a bit longer and if BC and UCG move toward the objective soon.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 16, 2014, 12:15:34 PM
on the assumption that BC will be able to dispatch our man in T13, ill go after him and im going to head towards the chaps and go r8, r9, r10 then i can give SDR and DD some loving

Bob, kill stuff!!!!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 16, 2014, 12:50:23 PM
What's the command radius again? Also, does my position up on this ridge with the embankment between me and that nazzie in I9 give me any defensive bonus? It make more sense for me to stay closer to the bridges if I can survive a bit longer and if BC and UCG move toward the objective soon.

The command radius is 2 hexes out from any leader ie UCG or B_C.
The German in I9 can't see you at all because of the embankment hexside between you.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 16, 2014, 12:52:00 PM
on the assumption that BC will be able to dispatch our man in T13, ill go after him and im going to head towards the chaps and go r8, r9, r10 then i can give SDR and DD some loving

Bob, kill stuff!!!!

You have 4 movement points remember and a free stance change, so you could move an extra hex and the crouch or fall prone if ya wanted.....
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 16, 2014, 12:55:58 PM

The German in I9 can't see you at all because of the embankment hexside between you.

Then why was he able to take potshots at me from all the way out in hex G6? It's still across an embankment.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 16, 2014, 12:57:09 PM

The German in I9 can't see you at all because of the embankment hexside between you.

Then why was he able to take potshots at me from all the way out in hex G6? It's still across an embankment.

You were right next to that hexside. There's more space now so it's like you are back from the edge....
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 16, 2014, 12:59:40 PM
Ah. Wish I could throw a grenade at L the Ratzi-patsie. Can I still see him and can he climb the embankment easily?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 16, 2014, 01:18:28 PM
on the assumption that BC will be able to dispatch our man in T13, ill go after him and im going to head towards the chaps and go r8, r9, r10 then i can give SDR and DD some loving

Bob, kill stuff!!!!

You have 4 movement points remember and a free stance change, so you could move an extra hex and the crouch or fall prone if ya wanted.....

cool, give me some q11 and a crouch then sir, this gets dd and sdr into command
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 16, 2014, 02:55:33 PM
I'm going to be all BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA with my Thompson on that dirty Ratzi in hex T13.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 17, 2014, 05:52:53 AM
Ah. Wish I could throw a grenade at L the Ratzi-patsie. Can I still see him and can he climb the embankment easily?

You can't see him but you can toss a grenade into a hex you can't see... just more chance of it landing wrong.
It costs him 1 extra MP to climb the embankment... not much.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 17, 2014, 05:57:55 AM
Ssgt UCG runs back to the center of the hamlet to check on the other squaddies.
Meanwhile, at the church, B_C leans out of the door and points his Thompson at the sentry. Brrraaaapppp! The German goes down but Sgt. B_C can see that he's only wounded  in the leg.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap23a_zpse6ea1c48.png)

Now we need Bob's orders.

Bob, there are 2 SS next to you. One is prone with a jammed MG, the other is standing with Luger in his hand. What do you do?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 17, 2014, 07:34:43 AM
balls - i should have gone to bob and mirth and let BC cover the 'south'

'IM COOOOOOOMING BOB'


edit - that may not have sounded like i thought
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 17, 2014, 07:39:05 AM
Bob, there are 2 SS next to you. One is prone with a jammed MG, the other is standing with Luger in his hand. What do you do?

if the Warlock thread is any indicator, I believe "sleeps in" is the answer
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 17, 2014, 07:53:15 AM
He's already halfway to a Prone position...
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 17, 2014, 08:00:22 AM
WHat's going on? What have I missed? Bob asleep again?  >:D
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 17, 2014, 02:43:02 PM
I thought I did say I wanted to shoot them there SS fellas.

Yus, been asleep.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 17, 2014, 03:29:31 PM
I thought I did say I wanted to shoot them there SS fellas.

Yus, been asleep.

Ya got a single action bolt rifle.... You can do a single aimed shot at one of 'em or ya can take a snap shot at each with less accuracy.

What's yer choice?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 17, 2014, 04:13:55 PM
Aimed shot at the big-wig, please.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 18, 2014, 06:08:25 AM
Bob lines up a shot at the General and fires! The bullet neatly rips through the officers shoulder, throwing him to the ground.
The SS aide climbs into the kubelwagen and  tries to shoot Bob but he can't unjam his machine pistol.
The sentry near Staggerwing continues his run towards the bridges.
The soldier in the trees near JD rises to one knee and aims at the only part of JD he can see. The bullet cleanly takes JD's big toe off, leaving his boot a bloody mess.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap24a_zpsfa511998.png)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 18, 2014, 06:11:43 AM
OK folks, a whole new round begins.
Everyone is automatically aware. No more wool gathering!
Your init roll is an 8, the Germans get a 0.
You have the advantage. And almost everyone is going to get to act except Bob who panics because he's out of command range.

Double Deuce, you get first actions.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap24b_zps8af48be1.png)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 18, 2014, 06:19:34 AM
...
The soldier in the trees near JD rises to one knee and aims at the only part of JD he can see. The bullet cleanly takes JD's big toe off, leaving his boot a bloody mess.
...
WTF?  ::)

Well if I get a go, I want to fire back at the wee twat.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 18, 2014, 06:22:28 AM
...
The soldier in the trees near JD rises to one knee and aims at the only part of JD he can see. The bullet cleanly takes JD's big toe off, leaving his boot a bloody mess.
...
WTF?  ::)

Well if I get a go, I want to fire back at the wee twat.

You'll get a go.... you could always throw a grenade... oh wait... yer squad mates wouldn't let you have a grenade out of fear you'd drop it!  :2funny:
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 18, 2014, 06:24:34 AM
Barstewards  :D

Imagine sending the Judge into battle with no grenades!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 18, 2014, 06:57:49 AM
I can't keep wasting time with this jerk that won't die next to the church, but I cannot recall what wounded Germans do in this game. I'm afraid of leaving the church and heading west, and having him crawl into the church and start sniping peeps.

It's not very immersive, Barth, for me to ask you what a wounded German generally does, so if I go by what I think this cat would do in real life, I'mma going to have to finish him off and hope I hit him. Can I aim or do something that increases my chance of hitting him?

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on November 18, 2014, 07:06:49 AM
Double Deuce, you get first actions.

I'm going to stand up, move to N11, then M12 and try to get a shot at the guy in L12 if possible. If I get to M12 and cannot see him I'll use any remaining points I may have to crouch back down in M12 and scan for any target to the west that may eventually pop up.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on November 18, 2014, 07:15:04 AM
I can't keep wasting time with this jerk that won't die next to the church, but I cannot recall what wounded Germans do in this game. I'm afraid of leaving the church and heading west, and having him crawl into the church and start sniping peeps.

Maybe if we can get SDR into N12 he can use that high ground to cover back to the east/northeast as we move towards the bridges?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 18, 2014, 07:19:18 AM
I'd rather just finish the dude off. I'm hesitant to do it since I could technically miss and waste another turn.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 18, 2014, 07:37:29 AM
I can't keep wasting time with this jerk that won't die next to the church, but I cannot recall what wounded Germans do in this game. I'm afraid of leaving the church and heading west, and having him crawl into the church and start sniping peeps.

It's not very immersive, Barth, for me to ask you what a wounded German generally does, so if I go by what I think this cat would do in real life, I'mma going to have to finish him off and hope I hit him. Can I aim or do something that increases my chance of hitting him?

You took your best shot last round. Just sometimes you only wound. A second wound will finish him. You could also assault him...
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 18, 2014, 07:54:23 AM
Yeah...assault. Heh-heh... >:D

Why not. When my turn comes around, I'll stick him, while singing "GODDDDD BLESS AH-MER-I-CAAAAAAAAA" at the top of my lungs.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 18, 2014, 08:02:23 AM
Pfc DD finally gets his ass in gear and moves towards the gun fire he's heard to his west. (You didn't have enough MP's left to shoot so you crouched)
Suddenly a glider passes not 50ft above his head and disappears towards the west. Seconds later he hears a load snapping and crunching sounds as the glider slides in to the trees. (Just off map)

There's a shout of pain from Bob as the SS General wobblely gets to his feet and snaps a shot from his luger at Bob. The round goes into Bob left arm just below the elbow.
More frustrated clicking sounds from the Aide's gun as he madly tries to unjam it.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap25a_zpse1485d6a.png)

Now you all get an action, well except Bob. Please tell the order you want things to happen in.  :knuppel2:

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 18, 2014, 08:13:14 AM
What can I do as wounded?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 18, 2014, 08:19:56 AM
What can I do as wounded?

Pretty much everything just not a as well.

A wounded soldier can receive only one turn per Round. If a roll in the Action Sequence indicates that the soldier receives two turns, place his AR marker in the 1-Turn space instead.
A wounded soldier cannot use his Weapon Skill to modify an assaulting attacker’s Hit Chance. In addition, when a wounded soldier makes an assault, there is a -2 modifier against him.
A wounded soldier’s Port Box total is reduced to one; put an X through one box. If he is carrying two Port Boxes of equipment, he must immediately drop the contents of one Port Box. If the item he is carrying is a two-box item, he must drop it immediately.
A wounded soldier cannot be given a turn or be made aware by a commander (6/3).
There is a -2 modifier to the Base Hit Chance for a wounded soldier throwing a grenade or satchel charge.
There is a -1 modifier to the Base Hit Chance for a wounded soldier firing a weapon.
A wounded soldier has his Movement Point Allowance reduced to 2 for the rest of the mission. Record his reduced MPA on the Squad Record.
A wounded soldier never receives a free stance change. The only way he can change stance is by paying a Movement Point to do so.
A wounded soldier who suffers an incapacitation or second wound result is incapacitated.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 18, 2014, 10:33:25 AM
I'll use my two wonderful action points to waddle over to O13. 
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 18, 2014, 10:39:13 AM
Dd assault, bc assault?

How do we wake mirth up to rescue Bob?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 18, 2014, 10:40:07 AM
Yeah, mirth needs to get out of that prone position he's in. Both in game and in real life. Because whores.  O:-)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 18, 2014, 07:00:47 PM
If I move to k10 will I have enough points to either react to any Germans who appear in the building next to me or to move on to J10 and overwatch the friendlies moving my way if nothing happens in k10?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 18, 2014, 08:01:53 PM
If I move to k10 will I have enough points to either react to any Germans who appear in the building next to me or to move on to J10 and overwatch the friendlies moving my way if nothing happens in k10?

Yes.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 18, 2014, 08:19:46 PM
Then thass wha' ahma gonna do. 8)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 18, 2014, 11:45:13 PM
What can I do as wounded?

Pretty much everything just not a as well.

A wounded soldier can receive only one turn per Round. If a roll in the Action Sequence indicates that the soldier receives two turns, place his AR marker in the 1-Turn space instead.
A wounded soldier cannot use his Weapon Skill to modify an assaulting attacker’s Hit Chance. In addition, when a wounded soldier makes an assault, there is a -2 modifier against him.
A wounded soldier’s Port Box total is reduced to one; put an X through one box. If he is carrying two Port Boxes of equipment, he must immediately drop the contents of one Port Box. If the item he is carrying is a two-box item, he must drop it immediately.
A wounded soldier cannot be given a turn or be made aware by a commander (6/3).
There is a -2 modifier to the Base Hit Chance for a wounded soldier throwing a grenade or satchel charge.
There is a -1 modifier to the Base Hit Chance for a wounded soldier firing a weapon.
A wounded soldier has his Movement Point Allowance reduced to 2 for the rest of the mission. Record his reduced MPA on the Squad Record.
A wounded soldier never receives a free stance change. The only way he can change stance is by paying a Movement Point to do so.
A wounded soldier who suffers an incapacitation or second wound result is incapacitated.
Or, translated, nothing effectively.

I'm lying low. I don't suppose I can "heal" myself? Can anyone else "heal" me? I think, looking above and what my WS was anyway, I'm pretty hobbled.

Can I just stand up and get shot in the heed?  ;D
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 19, 2014, 01:06:13 AM
I imagine the guys near the bridge will affect any new spotting and new occurrences..... I would imagine it's better to resolve things from the back first and work forwards?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 19, 2014, 04:52:02 AM
What can I do as wounded?

Pretty much everything just not a as well.

A wounded soldier can receive only one turn per Round. If a roll in the Action Sequence indicates that the soldier receives two turns, place his AR marker in the 1-Turn space instead.
A wounded soldier cannot use his Weapon Skill to modify an assaulting attacker’s Hit Chance. In addition, when a wounded soldier makes an assault, there is a -2 modifier against him.
A wounded soldier’s Port Box total is reduced to one; put an X through one box. If he is carrying two Port Boxes of equipment, he must immediately drop the contents of one Port Box. If the item he is carrying is a two-box item, he must drop it immediately.
A wounded soldier cannot be given a turn or be made aware by a commander (6/3).
There is a -2 modifier to the Base Hit Chance for a wounded soldier throwing a grenade or satchel charge.
There is a -1 modifier to the Base Hit Chance for a wounded soldier firing a weapon.
A wounded soldier has his Movement Point Allowance reduced to 2 for the rest of the mission. Record his reduced MPA on the Squad Record.
A wounded soldier never receives a free stance change. The only way he can change stance is by paying a Movement Point to do so.
A wounded soldier who suffers an incapacitation or second wound result is incapacitated.
Or, translated, nothing effectively.

I'm lying low. I don't suppose I can "heal" myself? Can anyone else "heal" me? I think, looking above and what my WS was anyway, I'm pretty hobbled.

Can I just stand up and get shot in the heed?  ;D

Wounds can't be healed during the mission.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 19, 2014, 04:52:32 AM
I imagine the guys near the bridge will affect any new spotting and new occurrences..... I would imagine it's better to resolve things from the back first and work forwards?

 ^-^
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 19, 2014, 05:01:50 AM
JD: unfortunately there's no healing in-game. I think between missions there is, though I cannot recall for sure.

I would highly recommend nobody move anywhere near the bridges until three or four men can do it at the same time. If there's a guard there he might blow the thing and if only one Soldier advances he might not be able to get to him or the charges in time.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 19, 2014, 05:16:01 AM
UCG, B-C, am I ok to make the 2 step move to J10 I indicated above if I hold there until further notice? I could also move into the building at L10 and provide cover from there.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 19, 2014, 06:06:08 AM
Assume that any building you try to enter has a German in it.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 19, 2014, 07:39:16 AM
Assume that any building you try to enter has a German in it.

...especially if there is a swimming pool and sun lounger..............
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 19, 2014, 09:00:41 AM
I imagine the guys near the bridge will affect any new spotting and new occurrences..... I would imagine it's better to resolve things from the back first and work forwards?

 ^-^

Lol, so ok, BC do you want to go first, killing your new friend and then aim to move west to provide hq goodness to the guys in the woods, dd do unspeakable things to the man next door and then I'll head north to sort out mirth and Bob

And then sw can work his magic
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 19, 2014, 01:55:05 PM
I imagine the guys near the bridge will affect any new spotting and new occurrences..... I would imagine it's better to resolve things from the back first and work forwards?

 ^-^

Lol, so ok, BC do you want to go first, killing your new friend and then aim to move west to provide hq goodness to the guys in the woods, dd do unspeakable things to the man next door and then I'll head north to sort out mirth and Bob

And then sw can work his magic

That leaves JD and mirth.....?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 19, 2014, 01:56:00 PM
I think I should just find a hole and jump up when you want to fish out some enemy!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on November 19, 2014, 02:36:45 PM
I think I should just find a hole and jump up when you want to fish out some enemy!

If you could keep the attention of the that guy in L12, I can try to pop him when he sticks his head up . . . unless he frags me first.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 19, 2014, 03:32:46 PM
I think I should just find a hole and jump up when you want to fish out some enemy!

If you could keep the attention of the that guy in L12, I can try to pop him when he sticks his head up . . . unless he frags me first.
Ok...I want to stand and unzip...that should get his attention!  :-[
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 19, 2014, 03:38:52 PM
Is mirth panicking or just resting?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 19, 2014, 03:58:35 PM
Is mirth panicking or just resting?

He can act this round.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Con on November 19, 2014, 07:16:31 PM
Heh if you really want to see make this interesting for the next game you shouldnt be allowed to plan and plot moves over the forum unless you are in command radius of each other.
 :knuppel2:

Con
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 19, 2014, 07:35:50 PM
Heh if you really want to see make this interesting for the next game you shouldnt be allowed to plan and plot moves over the forum unless you are in command radius of each other.
 :knuppel2:

Con

Oooooo... great idea!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 19, 2014, 07:51:34 PM
As a game system, it's a great idea.

Realistically though, you'd think us GI Joes would have decent enough initiative.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 19, 2014, 07:58:15 PM
So how do we know when we are allowed to read the forum and find out what the leaders and friendlies nearby are up to and when we have to stay out of the thread? Would we have to email everything, CCing others w/in visual range? Each of us would need our own dynamic fog-of-war map as well as a custom edited/redacted events log.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Con on November 19, 2014, 08:11:13 PM
I was thinking keep it simple you can see and do anything you currently do now. You just can't plan together and decide how to execute the plan unless you are in command/communication radius of each other.   Out of command range well all you can do us list your action in the forum and let the chips fall

Con
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 20, 2014, 12:52:49 AM
Is mirth panicking or just resting?

He can act this round.

I'm thinking get in cover of the building at m5 and go crazy on the m4 guy
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 20, 2014, 05:29:51 AM
I was thinking keep it simple you can see and do anything you currently do now. You just can't plan together and decide how to execute the plan unless you are in command/communication radius of each other.   Out of command range well all you can do us list your action in the forum and let the chips fall

Con

Ah, okay, I see what you're saying. Those out of command would have to PM their moves to Barth while those in command/those that are commanders can collaborate openly in the thread?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 20, 2014, 06:45:05 AM
So I tried PM'ing mirth to get his ass in here. Are you gonna wait for him or just give him orders?

Let me know when yer ready to go... and in which order...
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 20, 2014, 07:54:26 AM
mirth strikes me as the kind of guy who would run into a building, spin round and snapshot a round into the head of an SS officer - just in a dress like Clinger from Mash

lets go with that
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 20, 2014, 07:55:37 AM
OK, so can you digest it all into who does what when for me? Thanks. O0
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 20, 2014, 08:05:31 AM
bc first - i think we agreed, assault german and stab to death

jd stands and shoots at L12

then DD does the same

mirth, M4, M5 kill officer shooting at bob

me, r10, r9, q9, p8 and crouch

SDR to 013

and SW to K10
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 20, 2014, 08:18:58 AM
OK will run it tonight.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 20, 2014, 02:42:19 PM
bc first - i think we agreed, assault german and stab to death

jd stands and shoots at L12

then DD does the same

mirth, M4, M5 kill officer shooting at bob

me, r10, r9, q9, p8 and crouch

SDR to 013

and SW to K10

mirth: I assumed you meant moves to N4 then M5, then shoots at officer...
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 20, 2014, 03:03:42 PM
bc first - i think we agreed, assault german and stab to death

jd stands and shoots at L12

then DD does the same

mirth, M4, M5 kill officer shooting at bob

me, r10, r9, q9, p8 and crouch

SDR to 013

and SW to K10

mirth: I assumed you meant moves to N4 then M5, then shoots at officer...

More problems with your orders:

For mirth to move to N4 then M5 costs him 3 of his 4 movement points and his free stance change, so he won't be able to shoot from M5 but he could crouch there.
For you to move to R10, R9, Q9, P8 uses your 4 movement points and your stance change so you would not be able to crouch in P8.
SDR is wounded and so gets no free stance change. For him to move to O13 would cost 1 to stand, 1 to move to P12 and 1 to move to O13.

Same goes for JD standing and firing but he doesn't need to stand to shoot so he'll just shoot. Prone is better protection for him.
DD will also just shoot. Crouching is better protection for him.


Would you like me to carry out your orders as much as possible or do you want to amend them?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 21, 2014, 05:04:00 AM
bc first - i think we agreed, assault german and stab to death

jd stands and shoots at L12

then DD does the same

mirth, M4, M5 kill officer shooting at bob

me, r10, r9, q9, p8 and crouch

SDR to 013

and SW to K10

mirth: I assumed you meant moves to N4 then M5, then shoots at officer...

More problems with your orders:

For mirth to move to N4 then M5 costs him 3 of his 4 movement points and his free stance change, so he won't be able to shoot from M5 but he could crouch there.

Do this for Mirth

For you to move to R10, R9, Q9, P8 uses your 4 movement points and your stance change so you would not be able to crouch in P8.

Leave me standing in P8

SDR is wounded and so gets no free stance change. For him to move to O13 would cost 1 to stand, 1 to move to P12 and 1 to move to O13.

Lets go to P12

Same goes for JD standing and firing but he doesn't need to stand to shoot so he'll just shoot. Prone is better protection for him.

Cool


DD will also just shoot. Crouching is better protection for him.

Cool


Would you like me to carry out your orders as much as possible or do you want to amend them?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 21, 2014, 06:00:09 AM
Got it. Will run tonight.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 21, 2014, 02:18:42 PM
Sgt. B_C stands and rushes the prone sentry next to the church. They start scuffling around and B_C sees panic appear in the sentry's eyes. (All you managed from the charge assault was a panic result)
JD concentrates hard on ignoring the pain in his foot and takes a shot at the German across the path. Zip! The bullet flies past the soldier's head.
PFC Double Deuce gets to fire his first shot in anger this war. He takes careful aim... and hits the German in the stomach.
Mirth scoots from his hiding position in the garbage pile and sneaks into the stone building near the kubelwagen to help Bob.
Ssgt. UCG sees all is going well in the center, so takes off to see if he can help out at the north end of the hamlet. Just as he clear the house to the West he catches a glimpse of a helmet in a window...

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap26a_zps6567598e.png)

Neither SDR nor SW can see this new threat. Do you want them to continue with their orders or change them?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 21, 2014, 03:48:32 PM
unless the game can simulate me spotting him and waving them over i think its only fair to continue on
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 21, 2014, 04:30:43 PM
Mirth - you'll need a first aid kit, buddy.

...don't happen to have a pickled onion. I suppose?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 21, 2014, 04:41:24 PM
If that German in the building in N9 stays there will he be able to spot me after my 1st move to K10?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 21, 2014, 06:05:39 PM
unless the game can simulate me spotting him and waving them over i think its only fair to continue on

Good call.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 21, 2014, 06:05:51 PM
If that German in the building in N9 stays there will he be able to spot me after my 1st move to K10?

No.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 22, 2014, 06:12:48 AM
SDR limps his way towards the relative safety of the trees near JD.

Staggerwing stand, and starts moving south. Just then he spots a helmet in the window of what looks like a guard shack near the bridges they are after.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap27a_zps4c203558.png)

Stagger, you have 2 MP's left, what would you like to do before the Germans get there go?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on November 22, 2014, 06:41:13 AM
Staggerwing stand, and starts moving south. Just then he spots a helmet in the window of what looks like a guard shack near the bridges they are after.

Stagger, you have 2 MP's left, what would you like to do before the Germans get there go?

I hope he has the Bazooka and rounds with him . . . otherwise I may have to head that way on my next turn.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 22, 2014, 06:52:07 AM
that shed looks ripe for a bazooka shot!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 22, 2014, 07:12:38 AM
that shed looks ripe for a bazooka shot!

Sounds almost like an order.  ;D

What are my chances of hitting it and afterwards will I be able to fend off Mr Feldgrau in the building next to me?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 22, 2014, 07:22:39 AM
SDR - don't come over here - I'm a bloody bullet magnate!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 22, 2014, 07:56:18 AM
that shed looks ripe for a bazooka shot!

Sounds almost like an order.  ;D

What are my chances of hitting it and afterwards will I be able to fend off Mr Feldgrau in the building next to me?

First you can't snap shoot a bazooka. Second it takes one entire action to load it and another to fire it. You can move with it loaded.
You have both weapons and can choose which to shoot at any time... as long as the bazooka is loaded....

Your options right now are:
snap shot with yer rifle at the German in the shed and remain standing the current hex OR
move to L10 and be standing in the building OR
move more clear hexes, up to 2 and remain standing OR
move one more hex and crouch or go prone OR
crouch or go prone where you are.

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 22, 2014, 10:50:47 AM
So if I understand, it's too late to load the bazooka. In that case I will crouch in place and get ready to load at the earliest chance
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 22, 2014, 11:43:20 AM
BOOOOM!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 22, 2014, 11:52:15 AM
SDR - don't come over here - I'm a bloody bullet magnate!

Magnate...  Magnet...   Either way, I'm getting some bullets.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 22, 2014, 11:58:07 AM
SDR - don't come over here - I'm a bloody bullet magnate!

Magnate...  Magnet...   Either way, I'm getting some bullets.
lol - oops. Using the phone doesn't work with my huge fingers!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 22, 2014, 02:59:26 PM
Staggerwing crouches down next to the building trying to get small.
The sentry to the west clambers up the embankment, crosses the road and slips down the far side.
The German spots UCG, stands and fires his machine pistol but luckily misses. He then dashes deeper into the building. (Out of sight of UCG and SW.)
The SS General draws another bead on Bob's prone form and hits him again.... Bob is slowly starting bleed out...
The German the guard shack stands and fires at Staggerwing narrowly missing.
The SS Aide (still inside the kubelwagen) fires quickly at Bob then turns and fires quickly at mirth. He misses mirth but the bullets rip into Bob putting him out of his misery. (Bobs dead.....  :'(

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap28a_zpsfdb4d25a.png)

New round begins. US rolls a 2, Germans roll an 8, so they have advantage. All US players are aware, but because their init column numbers are red boxed and they can't add u to more than 5 init, both UCG and DD panic and fall prone.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap28b_zps527df6c2.png)

The Sentry in the guard hut throws a switch...

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap28c_zps7ff7ef4d.png)

There's an earth shattering KABOOM!

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap28d_zps2ec528aa.png)

And the stone bridge is no more.....

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap28e_zps3e25eb0d.png)


B_C and mirth can now act.....


Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 22, 2014, 03:03:47 PM
RIP Bob, you fought brave and well!  :'(
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 22, 2014, 03:07:29 PM
We must avenge Bob!

Shame about the bridge as well. Can we still win if we get the wooden one?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 22, 2014, 03:22:56 PM
You need 10VP to win.
Each bridge is worth 4 or 10 if you get both.
Germans are worth VPs dead or captured, incap is as good as dead if there or on other active Germans on the map.
You lose VPs for dead GIs.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 22, 2014, 03:24:01 PM
SS bastids............go get 'em guys.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 22, 2014, 03:47:26 PM
Can I have your stuff?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 22, 2014, 03:51:30 PM
I'm going to just shoot this asshole in my hex if I can. If I have a better chance of killing him by shooting him I'll do that, otherwise I'll assault him again. I can't keep screwing around with him.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 22, 2014, 03:58:43 PM
Can I have bob's boots? Mine have a hole in them!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 22, 2014, 04:00:28 PM
Slightly better change at mg'ing his ass than stabbing it.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 22, 2014, 04:01:27 PM
Quote
Slightly better change at mg'ing his ass than stabbing it.

Then it gets the Thompson SMG. :)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 22, 2014, 05:14:05 PM
Can I have your stuff?

Yup.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 22, 2014, 05:14:40 PM
Can I have bob's boots? Mine have a hole in them!

Yup.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 22, 2014, 05:15:13 PM
Barth, is there a replacement for Bawb/anyone else on upcoming missions? Or can Bawb's long-lost second cousin, Bawb II, join the mission next time?  :D
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 22, 2014, 05:48:09 PM
Star tried to join one person too late. Jarhead might be interested as well... There's lots of fighting left yet so we might need more bodies anyway...  just sayin :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on November 23, 2014, 05:30:09 AM
Barth, is there a replacement for Bawb/anyone else on upcoming missions? Or can Bawb's long-lost second cousin, Bawb II, join the mission next time?  :D

I never speak to Bawb II - he's a total smeghead.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 23, 2014, 11:43:34 AM
Quote
Slightly better change at mg'ing his ass than stabbing it.

Then it gets the Thompson SMG. :)

Ok, so is someone going to play mirth's part since he seems uninterested....?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 23, 2014, 12:42:55 PM
Is he best to assault or fire with his M1?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 23, 2014, 04:51:23 PM
He also has grenades.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 23, 2014, 05:17:48 PM
Did you PM mirth to be sure he's out?

If so, if you want to assign his Soldier to me, I'm fine with that. Or ucg as he's our squad leader. Or anyone else that might speak up now but has not yet. :D
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 23, 2014, 05:25:53 PM
Did you PM mirth to be sure he's out?

If so, if you want to assign his Soldier to me, I'm fine with that. Or ucg as he's our squad leader. Or anyone else that might speak up now but has not yet. :D

What about Bawb?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 23, 2014, 05:57:50 PM
Did you PM mirth to be sure he's out?

If so, if you want to assign his Soldier to me, I'm fine with that. Or ucg as he's our squad leader. Or anyone else that might speak up now but has not yet. :D

I PM'd him earlier in the week about a privious action and got no response. If you want to try and contact him that would be good. Or you all can decide who will run his character.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 23, 2014, 07:34:17 PM
Did you PM mirth to be sure he's out?

If so, if you want to assign his Soldier to me, I'm fine with that. Or ucg as he's our squad leader. Or anyone else that might speak up now but has not yet. :D

What about Bawb?

Duh, yeah, good point.  O0
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on November 23, 2014, 10:49:22 PM
Did you PM mirth to be sure he's out?

If so, if you want to assign his Soldier to me, I'm fine with that. Or ucg as he's our squad leader. Or anyone else that might speak up now but has not yet. :D

What about Bawb?

After that last turn, do you really think that's a good idea . . .  just saying.  8)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 24, 2014, 02:48:50 AM
I know he's visiting family but don't know when he's back - I'm sure hell drop by and say yay or nay, shall we do it for him until his return?

In the meantime BH - how do grenades work and what do they do to the action square and those around?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 24, 2014, 04:24:58 AM
You have to throw them, roll to hit the intended hex. Where ever they land they attack all in the hex. They only affect the hex they land in.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 24, 2014, 04:28:25 AM
i can see mirth throwing it on himself - lets go grenade and see what happens!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 24, 2014, 05:25:00 AM
Okay...we can run him by committee until Bawb says yea or nay.

I'm good with the grenade choice.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 24, 2014, 07:01:21 PM
Sgt. B_C slowly raises his Thompson over the cowering German and then pulls long and hard on the trigger. The sentry is nearly cut in half from the hail of bullets.
Pfc Mirth lobes a grenade at the two SS and the kubelwagen. It goes off but the kubelwagen deflects most of the blast and the Germans merely panic.
The sentry outside the guard shack crawls through the window to shelter.
The other sentry there draws a bead on Staggerwing but when he pulls the trigger he's jostled by the other sentry's clumsy entrance into the hut. The round buries itself in the nearby building.
The German in the building bolts out into the street and, seeing the Pvt there, falls prone for cover.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap29a_zps49649a64.png)

Now, B_C, mirth, Staggerwing, SDR and JD all get actions.


Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 24, 2014, 07:23:45 PM
I really, really wish I'd loaded the damn stovepipe earlier when I had the chance since we need to take out that guardshack before the other bridge blows.

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 24, 2014, 07:33:00 PM
I'm going to move 4 hexes - S13, R13, Q13, P13.

I'll crouch after that if a free stance change is available.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 24, 2014, 07:42:17 PM
What are my options for taking on the German behind me in L9?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 24, 2014, 07:49:37 PM
What are my options for taking on the German behind me in L9?

Shoot him or jump him.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 24, 2014, 07:50:39 PM
What are my options for taking on the German behind me in L9?

Shoot him or jump him.

^-^
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 24, 2014, 08:11:32 PM
I'm assaulting L9.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 24, 2014, 09:02:22 PM
I move via P13 to O14.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 25, 2014, 10:08:31 AM
I'm going to move 4 hexes - S13, R13, Q13, P13.

I'll crouch after that if a free stance change is available.

Costs you 2 MP to enter S13 and 2 more to exit S13.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 25, 2014, 10:09:15 AM
So far heard from Stagger, SDR and B_C. Need mirth and JD.


Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 25, 2014, 11:07:17 AM
oh yeah, were all collectively Mirth arent we?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 25, 2014, 11:08:48 AM
I'm here...just wasn't sure how many "actions" I could perform.

How's about I stay prone and take a pot shot at the German in L12 whilst I wait for BC or UCG
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 25, 2014, 11:17:47 AM
I'm here...just wasn't sure how many "actions" I could perform.

How's about I stay prone and take a pot shot at the German in L12 whilst I wait for BC or UCG

Not much point in shooting the guy in L12... he can't act in any way.
Yer wounded so you only have 2 movement points. You'll need 1 MP to get standing. Moving in the clear only takes 1 MP. moving in trees takes 2.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 25, 2014, 11:20:23 AM
Mirth's Soldier should probably shoot at the SS goons in the adjacent hex. Or throw a grenade if he has one still...probably not, I didn't pay attention to see whose grenade that was.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 25, 2014, 11:25:17 AM
Mirth's Soldier should probably shoot at the SS goons in the adjacent hex. Or throw a grenade if he has one still...probably not, I didn't pay attention to see whose grenade that was.

He has no grenade. One SS good is in the kubelwagen, one is on the ground next to it.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 25, 2014, 11:57:39 AM
One wounded, one not, right?

I think mirth's Soldier should shoot at the un-wounded one.

What do you think, ucg?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 25, 2014, 12:13:09 PM
One wounded, one not, right?

I think mirth's Soldier should shoot at the un-wounded one.

What do you think, ucg?

Correct. Wounded General on the ground, healthy Aide in kubelwagen.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 25, 2014, 01:43:03 PM
thatll be some shot into a kubelwagon - but were all heroes, and were avenging bob - lets do it
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 25, 2014, 03:15:43 PM
Barth - didn't consider it takes extra MP to go in/out of the church. Can I change my move?

If so, make it T14 - S15 - R14 - Q14. please. I'll stay standing too.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 26, 2014, 07:14:56 AM
Sure.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 26, 2014, 05:28:39 PM
OK so this is what I read:

B_C to move T14 - S15 - R14 - Q14.
mirth to shoot at Aide in kubelwagen.
Stagger to jump German in L9.
JD to shoot sentry in L12.
SDR to limp along P13 to O14.

Right?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 26, 2014, 05:31:00 PM
OK so this is what I read:

...
Stagger to jump German in L9.
...
Right?


Yes! Arrgggg!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 27, 2014, 07:36:37 PM
Cpl. mirth takes aim at the kubelwagen and fires! The bullet strikes the door harmlessly.
Staggerwing jumps up and charges the German in the street near him. The start wrestling in the dirt. (No effect)
JD tries to steady his rifle but his throbbing foot throws off his aim and the bullet goes wide of the unconscious soldier in the woods across the road.
SDR manages short jog up to the crest near JD.
Sgt. B_C leaves the dead German and starts running towards the sounds of fighting.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap30a_zps865d6620.png)

New rounds start. US rolls a 1 , Germans roll a 1. Germans get advantage on ties. Staggerwing, JD, and SDR automatically panic as their number is in the panic zone.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap30b_zps860d3096.png)

The sentry (L) in the guard hut throws himself to the floor looking for something...
The German wrestling with Staggerwing suddenly breaks free, fires off a few quick rounds at Stagger, which miss, and then starts running around the corner of the building.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap30c_zps56cce7e4.png)

B_C and mirth now both get an action.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on November 28, 2014, 07:19:05 AM
oh man this going to go bad
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on November 28, 2014, 10:31:12 AM
Well, when my turns comes, and if he's still there, I'm hoping to get a clean shot at German [M] running down the road towards the guard shack.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 28, 2014, 02:38:46 PM
Is there a clear line of fire from J12 to N13?

If so I want to move to J12. I don't think I can make it there in one turn, though.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on November 29, 2014, 06:17:54 AM
B_C, I'm not understanding your orders...?

Yes it is a clear LOS from N13 to J12. But you are no where near N13 or J12? You are way over in Q14.....  ???
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on November 29, 2014, 06:26:35 AM
Maybe he meant 'move to N13' (so he would have LOS on 'J12')?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 29, 2014, 09:48:16 AM
B_C, I'm not understanding your orders...?

Yes it is a clear LOS from N13 to J12. But you are no where near N13 or J12? You are way over in Q14.....  ???

Read my second line...

"If so I want to move to J12. I don't think I can make it there in one turn, though."

I wasn't sure if I could make that in one move/turn - I was thinking P13 > O13 > N12.

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 01, 2014, 11:13:09 AM
OK, will run this tonight.... still need mirth's action.....
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 01, 2014, 11:19:18 AM
I think Mirth should shoot at the unwounded SS dude in M4.

And sorry, Barth. I just reread what I wrote and I wasn't trying to sound like a dick. If I did, my apologies, I didn't mean it. I was in a hurry as I didn't have a lot of computer time this weekend thanks to the family. :)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 01, 2014, 11:24:12 AM
That's OK, I know yer a dick so you just sounded normal.  ;D

The unwounded dude in M4 is in the vehicle and is actually pretty hard to hit.... blowing away the wounded General might scare the Aide enough to make him leave... maybe. Just a suggestion...
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 01, 2014, 11:25:08 AM
Oh, sorry...I missed that about him being in the car.

Sure, I'm for obliterating the General.

Ucg, you have a suggestion for mirth's aim otherwise?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on December 01, 2014, 01:19:45 PM
no lets him kick the generals ass
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 01, 2014, 06:01:41 PM
B_C sprints up the slope, over the crest and crouches near JD.
mirth fires a shot at the General as he is moving to get into the staff car. The bullet goes wide of the mark.
Just then the German running towards the guard shack snap fires his machine pistol at DD and misses.
There is a loud "CLICK!" from the guard shack as one soldier cowers on his belly and the other throws the hidden switch.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap31a_zps49df5e6a.png)

The General finishes entering the kubelwagen ungracefully just as the Aide steps on the gas and roars away.
The third German runs toward the shack and throws himself on the ground as the wooden railway bridge disappears is a cloud of smoke and splinters.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap31b_zpsdfca65d7.png)

Meanwhile the staff car barely maintains control as it swerves on to the road leading out of town to the west.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap31c_zps7f03ec50.png)

UCG and DD now get an action each. Both bridges are gone so your primary mission is gone with it. You can still earn VP's by killing/capturing Germans and NOT getting your own forces killed.
The scenario ends when all of you have left the map by any edge or there are no active Germans on the map.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on December 01, 2014, 06:07:15 PM
can we bazooka the guard shack yet
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on December 01, 2014, 06:14:01 PM
Shit.
I need 1 action to load the 'zooka first, then another to fire unless someone else can get here and fire it on the action that I load it. Is that allowed? If I load it on my next action and there is someone else in my hex can I instantly hand it off so they can shoot?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 01, 2014, 06:19:01 PM
Shit.
I need 1 action to load the 'zooka first, then another to fire unless someone else can get here and fire it on the action that I load it. Is that allowed? If I load it on my next action and there is someone else in my hex can I instantly hand it off so they can shoot?

Kinda, if one person has the bazooka and another has the round then one can load and the other can shoot in the same action round. But right now you hold it all, so someone needs to get to your hex and then you can give then the rounds OR the bazooka, then you can go from there.

Also remember that leaders can give their action to others that are in their command range.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on December 01, 2014, 06:20:37 PM
So if UCG hoofs it over here I can load and shoot at the same time?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 01, 2014, 06:24:00 PM
You'd have to give him a round first so he can load it, or give him the bazooka and then you load it for him.

By the way you don't have line of sight to the guards shack right now....
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on December 01, 2014, 06:25:55 PM
Yeah, I have to move forward where they might get a peek at me. Can I use my free stance change at the beginning of an action, IE, crawl forwards. Then, next action crouch and fire (assuming I loaded before the crawl)?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 01, 2014, 06:35:58 PM
Not sure I understand you, but Stance change has nothing to do with moving hexes....

Also you need to be crouching or standing to load and fire the bazooka.... also to change hexes.




 
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on December 01, 2014, 06:38:07 PM
No crawling?!  :o
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 01, 2014, 06:43:34 PM
Not exactly, moving in a crouch only allows you to move 1 hex which is kind of crawling.

Here's a possible sequence that could work if your side's init roll goes well next round:
This round UCG runs to stand in your hex.
Next round, if the roll goes right and UCG gets at least 1 actions and you get 2 actions:
You use one of your actions to crouch and load the bazooka.
UCG then gives you one of his actions, so you can immediately move into the next hex.
Next action you can fire the bazooka at the shack.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on December 01, 2014, 06:52:46 PM
Hmm. OK, lets see how the chips fall next go around.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on December 02, 2014, 05:21:48 AM
consider me hoofing towards SW then
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 02, 2014, 05:24:05 AM
Son of a...

I had a feeling that was going to happen. And I did remember the guards in the shack tripping the bridges from previous plays of mine, but I didn't want to say that here and kind of cheat. Very frustrating, but I remember several playthroughs of this mission on my own ending in abject failure too.

Let's kill us some Germans. Though we do get more VPs for capturing them, right?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on December 02, 2014, 05:26:14 AM
capturing doesnt include carrying their bits home in a bag after SW explodes the shack?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 02, 2014, 06:02:36 AM
capturing doesnt include carrying their bits home in a bag after SW explodes the shack?

Err... ummm... no.

And the only German worth more live than dead is the SS General..... who is currently speeding away in his 1st generation VW.....

And yes this mission is a real bitch to win... but when you set up a chronologic campaign it's the first that needs to be done. The next mission you all should ace now that you've got some experience.  ^-^
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 02, 2014, 06:29:23 AM
If mirth has an LOS to the General currently speeding away - or anyone does for that matter - that should be a priority target, even if it is a near impossible shot.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 02, 2014, 06:39:43 AM
Current visibility is only 5 hexes.....
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on December 02, 2014, 07:42:55 AM
bazooka?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 02, 2014, 07:51:39 AM
Can't shoot what you can't see.....
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 02, 2014, 07:57:06 AM
I don't think anyone can move that much to get into range, so he's gonna get away.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on December 02, 2014, 08:30:39 AM
Yeah, I think he's well gone by now.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on December 02, 2014, 08:33:13 AM
ok, turn wise then from me - ill head to SW quickest route possible - see if we can catch these sentries
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 02, 2014, 07:19:06 PM
OK, DD what are you doing?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on December 03, 2014, 05:34:28 AM
Get up to a crouching position and move to L12, then take a shot at the guy in J12. I f I cannot shoot, I will just hold in L12 crouching and take up overwatch of the guardshack, shooting at any German that comes into view going in or out of the shack when I can.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 03, 2014, 07:02:12 AM
Sort of off topic, but I found Ambush! on Amazon for fifty bucks. I might go for it but I can't quite figure if I want to yet.  :-\
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on December 03, 2014, 07:20:02 AM
I just got a copy for $29 plus $10 shipping last week. There is a CRAPload of stuff in that box! I need to take my time and go through it all.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 03, 2014, 08:26:33 AM
I just got a copy for $29 plus $10 shipping last week. There is a CRAPload of stuff in that box! I need to take my time and go through it all.

Where did you get it? Ebay?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on December 03, 2014, 12:15:09 PM
I just got a copy for $29 plus $10 shipping last week. There is a CRAPload of stuff in that box! I need to take my time and go through it all.

Good catch, Stagger.  O0
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on December 03, 2014, 04:47:24 PM
I just got a copy for $29 plus $10 shipping last week. There is a CRAPload of stuff in that box! I need to take my time and go through it all.

Where did you get it? Ebay?

Yep.  :)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 03, 2014, 05:52:15 PM
ZZzzzzz.....

I assume I'm still panicked? 

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 03, 2014, 06:44:18 PM
ZZzzzzz.....

I assume I'm still panicked?

Fer now... I just need to run these last orders then we can start a new round... who knows... maybe you'll get yer hero chance!  O0
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 07, 2014, 09:27:26 AM
Right,

UCG runs over to Staggerwings position without incident
DD creeps into the woods near the guard shack.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap32a_zpsd257a051.png)

New rounds start. US roll 5 init, Germans roll 3. US has the advantage. All can act except JD and SDR who continue to cower like little girls.


(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap32b_zpsb9b9c6ac.png)

UCG and DD get to act first.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on December 08, 2014, 01:37:52 AM
OK, looks like I have 1 Grenade. Going to try and lob it at the German in front of the guard shack. If thats not do-able, take my best aimed shot at him with the M1.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on December 08, 2014, 04:08:33 AM
the officer quit his escape plan?

so if you can break it down for me, i need to run to the bazooka, load it, run up the road to within range and fire it at the kubelwagon, close the gap, shoot the driver and drag the wounded officer from the wreckage
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 08, 2014, 04:16:45 AM
The SS are still trying to escape, you just get to act first. To hit the kubelwagen you would need 1 action to grab the bazooka from SW, another to load it at least 2 more to get in to range and a last one to fire.... They'll be long gone by then.....

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on December 08, 2014, 04:22:37 AM
Yeah, I thought of shooting at the fleeing SS guys as well but it looked like a hail-mary shot.

If the others finish their moves before I get home from work you can put me down for loading the 'zooka as my next action.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on December 08, 2014, 04:28:18 AM
ok, put me in the building at L10 and ill start shooting germans, ill take j12 first
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on December 08, 2014, 04:44:24 AM
If UCG is shooting at the Germans does that have a suppressing effect on any action they may take towards me when I come around the corner and have to wait in the open for my next action to fire a rocket?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on December 08, 2014, 04:55:47 AM
If UCG is shooting at the Germans does that have a suppressing effect on any action they may take towards me when I come around the corner and have to wait in the open for my next action to fire a rocket?

thats what id hoped
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 08, 2014, 04:59:16 AM
You should fire at anything in this game if you have a target. If you hit them, you'll definitely affect their decision-making.

IIRC if a German is fired on, that does have an effect on what they do as well. But Barth is closer to the rules than I, so...
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 08, 2014, 05:59:23 AM
You would have to hit the German and get at least a Panic result for it to affect his actions.... or stand in his hex or the hex next to him to put him in self preservation mode.

Also note that SW is gong to get only on action this round, and he acts after the German W. Also note that the only reason SW and UCG did not panic, while SDR and JD did, is because UCG was standing in the same hex as SW. Also as available actions to UCG, he can give actions to other soldiers within his command radius.

I think that's all the hints I can safely give you without blowing too much of the narrative.

So far we have DD shooting at J12 and UCG climbing through the window and then snap shooting at J12.... is that right? Who moves first?

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on December 08, 2014, 10:38:20 AM
Can I get in range of jd and sdr to give them some command love?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 08, 2014, 10:45:39 AM
Not for this round. They have panicked and are unresponsive until the next round. You could move closer this round to help them activate next round.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on December 08, 2014, 11:11:35 AM
Can't see map at month - can you plot me heading to those two without leaving my ass to get shot in the open?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 09, 2014, 02:55:45 PM
Ssgt. UCG takes off running towards his squaddies in the trees...
Just then Double Deuce lobs a grenade at the German laying next to the guard shack. The grenade bounces and rolls right up to the soldier's nose. BANG! Most of his head disappears in a red mist.
The loud noise startles the German in the guard shack but he can't see anyone so just holds tight.

(http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b613/barthheart/AmbushMap33_zps91f5fd2d.png)


Now UCG, B_C, mirth, DD and SW all get to act.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: bob48 on December 09, 2014, 02:59:41 PM
I hope you lot remember to retrieve my cardboard remains when its all over.........
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on December 09, 2014, 03:56:30 PM
im still heading to the guys in the woods

good skills DD, well done
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 12, 2014, 07:11:04 AM
im still heading to the guys in the woods

good skills DD, well done

What about the rest of your men?!?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 12, 2014, 07:11:53 AM
I'm going to fire on the dudes in the shack in hex J12.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 12, 2014, 07:32:13 AM
The shack is J13, there is no window/door facing you so you can't fire at them.
The German in J12 is dead from DD grenade last action.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on December 12, 2014, 07:49:32 AM
I'm outta grenades but I think we got the front door covered. We need guns on the back door heading out into J14 in case they make a run for it. Keep'em pinned in there, then bring up the bazooka.  O0
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: JudgeDredd on December 12, 2014, 08:48:12 AM
Ok - so I'm frozen with fear?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 12, 2014, 08:53:07 AM
Ok - so I'm frozen with fear?

Yeah but you UCG is coming to calm yer nerves for next round.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 12, 2014, 09:28:35 AM
Woops, my bad.

Can I get to J13 and do an Assault in one move?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 12, 2014, 09:51:27 AM
No the "best" you could do is get the door in J14 and be a target until yer next action. Or stop just short and then move and snap shot next action. It costs 2 MP to move through a door or window.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on December 15, 2014, 10:45:00 PM
We're not waiting on me are we?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on December 17, 2014, 12:46:31 PM
Hi All,

We are going to have to take a break from this. I'm away from home for a bit and forgot to bring my copy of the paragraph booklet. :uglystupid2:

I'll post a note when we can start up again but it won't be until the 2nd week of Jan or so.

Sorry for the delay as we were almost done this mission, and I like to start a second one that will bea easier for you to win now you know what to expect.

Happy Holidays.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on December 17, 2014, 03:41:54 PM
no worries - have a great time
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on December 17, 2014, 05:07:39 PM
Have fun and rest up so you can go back to atom smashing or wormhole manifesting or whatever with renewed vim and vigor.

we'll be here keeping an eye on the Jerries in the guard hut while you're gone- no worries!
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on March 21, 2015, 03:49:04 PM
That was a really good break, huh? :)

Is this game over, Barth, or do you intend to go back to it sometime? Just curious.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on March 22, 2015, 04:27:14 AM
Ummm.... yeah.... I am coming back.... if y'all want to?

I was going to end this mission as is. You've failed to capture the bridges or the general so the 2 guards in the shack finally surrender.

I need to tally your mission points and see if anyone can improve.

Then we'd get setup for the next mission.

How's that sound?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: undercovergeek on March 22, 2015, 04:45:53 AM
Awesome - can we bring Bob back to life
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on March 22, 2015, 04:56:07 AM
Sure, why not.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 22, 2015, 12:38:42 PM
I demand that UCG and Bob carry me around in a luxurious palanquin.  Or at least give me a kick-ass sword cane.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Staggerwing on March 22, 2015, 01:04:19 PM
Here ya go:

(http://cdn.dealsdirect.net/m/products/737/6737/1/product1_6737.jpg?file=Decorative+Garden+Cart+%2F+Wheel+Barrow+-+Wooden)

(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-DeXGR5JHVMI/UkKwZJQ-O_I/AAAAAAAAAn4/b_aLBGd81cg/s1600/IMG_2810.JPG)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Double Deuce on April 14, 2015, 12:31:03 AM
So no followup mission for the survivors?   8)
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on April 14, 2015, 03:41:32 AM
Yep, it's coming. About to get on a plane for a business trip but when I'm back I'll get this moving again. Next mission should not be as difficult.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Jack Nastyface on April 21, 2015, 05:39:26 PM
How the HELL did I miss this...?
Most awesome piece of play-by-forum gaming I've seen in a while.
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on April 21, 2015, 06:11:31 PM
How the HELL did I miss this...?
Most awesome piece of play-by-forum gaming I've seen in a while.

Thanks! We might need a new player... want in?
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on June 02, 2015, 10:22:43 AM
I just did some digging in my attic and found my copies of Ambush!, Silver Star, Move Out, and Purple Heart, as well as Battle Hymn.

I'm pretty sure most of these are not complete but I'll have to check because I just found an eBay auction where all of these + the Leatherneck expansion (for Battle Hymn) are going for $610 dollars, with 11 bids thus far:

http://tinyurl.com/og4tns2

That would go a long way to a new computer! But oh man, it would be blasphemy to let all of these go, in any condition...  :buck2:

Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on June 02, 2015, 02:02:06 PM
I just did some digging in my attic and found my copies of Ambush!, Silver Star, Move Out, and Purple Heart, as well as Battle Hymn.

I'm pretty sure most of these are not complete but I'll have to check because I just found an eBay auction where all of these + the Leatherneck expansion (for Battle Hymn) are going for $610 dollars, with 11 bids thus far:

http://tinyurl.com/og4tns2

That would go a long way to a new computer! But oh man, it would be blasphemy to let all of these go, in any condition...  :buck2:

Ahhhhh! Don't do it! You'll be sorry later!
Oh, wait, you don't part with anything.....(cough)D-Day at Normandy(cough).....
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on June 02, 2015, 02:07:59 PM
That IS yours. I need to ship it to you, I know. I just haven't had the money or time. :P

I don't think I'll miss them as I haven't cracked these open in 20-some years. Though after reviewing them I found several are missing pieces. This might be an issue for those that would want to buy it on eBay, but there really aren't too many missing pieces. My major thing is some boxes have more pieces than are stated, while others have less. I think overall there's probably two or three dozen missing counters over all five boxes. I'm pretty embarrassed to list this at all but...
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on June 02, 2015, 02:12:21 PM
That IS yours. I need to ship it to you, I know. I just haven't had the money or time. :P

I don't think I'll miss them as I haven't cracked these open in 20-some years. Though after reviewing them I found several are missing pieces. This might be an issue for those that would want to buy it on eBay, but there really aren't too many missing pieces. My major thing is some boxes have more pieces than are stated, while others have less. I think overall there's probably two or three dozen missing counters over all five boxes. I'm pretty embarrassed to list this at all but...

 :D
Since yer missing pieces I'll offer you $20USD for the lot. I need to finish off my collection and can easily make up the missing pieces. O0
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: BanzaiCat on June 02, 2015, 02:32:15 PM
Hahahahahaha! I just listed it for $100. We will see.  :-*
Title: Re: Ambush! by Forum
Post by: Barthheart on June 02, 2015, 02:33:43 PM
Hahahahahaha! I just listed it for $100. We will see.  :-*

 ;) Good luck.